Cup RACE thread -- Sonoma

Denny gave that up in my opinion. I feel the announcers had believed that as well. They questioned why he chose to take the corner wide. Jeff then tried to play it off as wheelhop on the replay. Meanwhile Denny said there was no wheelhop at all.

If anybody was cool with "giving" Tony one, it would be Hamlin who came in as a rookie and was mentored by him.
And if any owners were cool with "giving" Tony one, it would be Coach and JD.

For those dead set on that no driver would give up a win for anyone.. Fine, but if there was such an instance, it would be to the legend, former champion and one of the most liked/respected guys in the garage area-Tony Stewart.
Who by the way, is desperately needs it, raced his ass off for it and is currently in his last season, in the midst of a 3 year slump, and has been through hell in such time- with the injuries and dirt track incident.

I don't believed it was a rigged race, I just think it was the perfect scenario. And somewhere between turns 7-11 Denny said "why not?"

Class act Denny Hamlin.

I don't believed it was a rigged race, I just think it was the perfect scenario. And somewhere between turns 7-11 Denny said "why not?"

Class act Denny Hamlin.

Don't get me wrong - I can't say it wasn't the "perfect scenario"...but why would Denny pass him in the first place? If it was a rig-job Denny would have just stayed behind Tony and blamed it on his tires going away or getting loose or something.

Checking the general results that Hamlin has had at Sonoma I think the more logical answer is that he just made a mistake late and Tony (probably surprised that he even had a last chance) - took advantage.

I know Hamlin said he didn't wheel hop it, but boy it sure looked like he did in the replay. Also he clearly locked up the right front. The bigger question is why they threw the debris caution right after Tony was getting off pit road.

Fair enough, combine Dennys track record and the slight wheel hop, he could have just slipped up.
I will say the wheel hop and locking up of the tires could also be manufactured.

As for why Denny chose to pass him earlier, perhaps to generate an exciting finish.

Who knows... but Denny Hamlin

Could go either way.. as far as the caution goes..there was actually debris. Sometimes they call it, sometimes they don't. Although I do buy into the fact that they decide by who it helps/hurts. Especially with a small piece like that- on a road course.

There needs to be some nuance in this discussion, which is usually missing. It wasn't 'rigged' or pre-ordained that Tony Stewart would be handed the race win. Hamlin drove his ass off to catch Tony after giving up ground with a few laps to go.

However, with the way Denny got around him in turn 7 - over-driving the corner and making contact with Tony - I think he decided he didn't want to be the bad guy and take this particular victory that way, and he gave Tony an opportunity to take it back in turn 11. It is my opinion that Denny didn't owe Tony anything and shouldn't have done that. I intuitively knew the instant it happened that something was off, and I turned the TV off. These Cup wins are too precious and guys struggle for years and entire careers to get just one, and I don't like the sense that one would be given away for any reason. But it was Denny's call. And it's Brian France's dumba$#&! call that we have an idiotic system in which a driver needs one victory in the first 26 races, but isn't really rewarded for getting more.

it just seems like too perfect of a scenario. I don't believe nascar and hamlin went into this race with the goal of giving stewart the win. but when the opportunity presented itself, they certainly took advantage of it

Certainly. Denny knew instinctively what was expected of him.

The encrypted radio message wasn't even necessary.

Denny gave that up in my opinion. I feel the announcers had believed that as well. They questioned why he chose to take the corner wide. Jeff then tried to play it off as wheelhop on the replay. Meanwhile Denny said there was no wheelhop at all.

Andy Lally tweeted that it was a textbook wheelhop.

The bigger question is why they threw the debris caution right after Tony was getting off pit road.

Why did they throw a caution earlier in the race that benefited only Kyle Busch?

Sometimes, **** happens.

Only head scratching thing to me was Danica pitting from 24th when she had just pitted 10 laps prior to that. I know tires are important but it seems to me like she could've taken a gamble and possibly stole a win, or maybe a top-five.

And I buy Denny's explanation about looking in his mirror and making a mistake. He moved Tony Stewart for the win for crying out loud. That's the sort of thing that tends to get people put through walls.

He was looking in his mirror because he knew Smoke was gonna come knock the **** out of him. :D

Love these conspiracy theory posts about Hamlin giving it away, etc, etc. It is especially entertaining when people actually believe stuff like that. Do you even realize it is a contest of skill conducted at a very high level, where even a small moment of imperfection can put a car in the wall, or get it passed by another car that was closer to perfect at that corner? It is funny that I never read such nonsense from athletes that have actually competed at a high level. Anyone who believes Hamlin was perfect for the first 109 laps has never driven a racing vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom