Dale Earnhardt Jr.

I chose the right word.

This was an opportunity to pass on that, given the gravity of these kinds of injuries.

Another cynical swipe ... this time it's the car owner.

There must be something wrong with me ... I'm not a supporter of either of these people but I just don't see either of them being that shallow.

It's not cynical. It's being real. He is way more messed up than he's letting on. People in the Charlotte area know that. The media sham is just that.

You suggested that Earnhardt is playing people for sympathy and Team Penske thinks Hendrick is milking the media for money.

I can't decide if you're a couple of teenaged girls texting in the mall or two old ladies gossiping over the back fence. If only I was connected to people in Charlotte ... it would be so much easier to make up my mind.

Last edited:
Another cynical swipe ... this time it's the car owner.

There must be something wrong with me ... I'm not a supporter of either of these people but I just don't see either of them being that shallow.
On the contrary , I don 't think any two people could be more open and up front about what is going on. They release info as they get it from the doctors and are available to take questions. What else can they do?

I don't see all this doom and gloom with him. Just look at Sidney Crosby, guy had PCS and many thought he would forever be ruined and struggle with those issues, yet it has cleared up and he has returned to being one of the top players in the NHL. I'm sure once Dale comes out of this fog he'll come storming back

I've been to Charlotte and can tell you that they aren't all neurologists down there. Just like this board. Nobody outside of Jr, his doctors, and who ever else he chooses to tell know the extent of his injuries. @Mispeedway15 brings up a great point about Sid. Many of us here in the Pittsburgh area thought we may never see him play again. We were wrong. Just like many are probably wrong about Jr's condition. He seems to have been up front about everything that he's going through. More so than any athlete that I've seen do in the past. That's not the media painting a bright picture. It's the word from the man himself. If people can't accept what the man himself is saying than they are probably just refusing to listen.

Most people in sports live to a degree in self denial, it is what helps them go a little above and beyond. Rusty is the one guy who came right out and admitted that Dale E. getting killed was the deciding factor for him and I respect him for that. Jeff also said the back pain was his main factor. Smart to quit while he can still enjoy life.
Junior is smart in that his doctors will make his decision for him and I have no doubt his girl friend is begging him to listen to them.

Pic from yesterday of Dale Jr. meeting one of his long time fans. He was in Lewistown, PA at their local Walmart meeting some 200 fans. Even with his latest concussion, he somehow managed this and was able to do so without drooling all over his shirt since becoming the bumbling idiot that we all know him to be.

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/articles/70340/what-theyre-saying-southern-500-edition

CrRjNpKXgAAPQKi.jpg:large

IMG_4842.JPG

Jeff Gordon will drive the Hendrick Motorsports No. 88 car at Darlington, Richmond, Dover and Martinsville. Alex Bowman will drive the remainder of the race as Dale Earnhardt Jr. continued to be treated for a concussion sustained in June.

Damn, now I'm starting to worry this will be permanent.:(

I hate to say this, but i think this is it. I don't think we'll see him race again.

from jayski.....

Dale Earnhardt Jr., driver of the #88 Chevrolet SS for Hendrick Motorsports, has not been medically cleared to compete for the remainder of the 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season as he continues to recover from a concussion. Earnhardt has missed the last six Sprint Cup races while undergoing treatment. He has been regularly evaluated at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Sports Medicine Concussion Program under the direction of Dr. Micky Collins and with Charlotte neurosurgeon Dr. Jerry Petty.

"I wish I could return to the #88 team this season," Earnhardt said. "To say I'm disappointed doesn't begin to describe how I feel, but I know this is the right thing for my long-term health and career. I'm 100 percent focused on my recovery, and I will continue to follow everything the doctors tell me. They're seeing good progress in my test results, and I'm feeling that progress physically. I plan to be healthy and ready to compete at Daytona in February. I'm working toward that.

"The support from both inside and outside the race team has been overwhelming. Everyone has been so encouraging and positive, from my teammates and sponsors to my family, friends and fans. It's motivating and humbling at the same time."

Jeff Gordon and Alex Bowman will drive for the #88 team in the season's 12 remaining races. In Earnhardt's absence, four-time Cup Series champion Gordon, 45, filled in at Indianapolis, Pocono, Watkins Glen and Bristol. Bowman, 23, drove at New Hampshire and Michigan.

"I know how hard Dale has worked and how frustrating this is for him," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "He wants to be back, and we want him back, but we want it to be for the long haul. We've had incredible support from everyone involved with the team, including all of our sponsors. They've put Dale's health first every step of the way."

"Jeff and Alex will give us a great opportunity over the rest of the season. Jeff is one of the best of all time and knows our system. He brings things to the table that no one else can. Alex is a young driver with a lot of talent, and he will give us a fresh perspective. We know they're not only capable of running up front and giving us a chance to win, but they'll help us get better."

Gives him a chance to decide if he wants to continue or not.

I'm really happy that he's not rushing it. I don't think he's done because he has expressed in wanting to continue and possibly even an extension, so this is good for Jr in giving himself time to think. Also, this is good for HMS for the future to decide if Bowman would be that next choice for HMS. So, in all honesty this is a win-win for HMS.

"Earnhardt, team owner Rick Hendrick and Dr. Micky Collins of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Sports Medicine Concussion Program will take part in a news conference Sunday afternoon at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway." Article.

Alex Bowman @AlexBRacing

Unfortunate circumstances but I'm so thankful to get the opportunity to run 8 more races with @TeamHendrick. Going to make the most of it!

He earned it.

The few samples we have seen, he has speed. Alex really has improved and especially the fact he has been in and out of the car so much, he's been pretty solid. Looking at New Hampshire and Michigan he raced from the back into the top 10 until he got in an accident. At Michigan he was in the top 5 until he had engine issues.

It just needs to come together for a whole race without problems.

He earned it.

The few samples we have seen, he has speed. Alex really has improved and especially the fact he has been in and out of the car so much, he's been pretty solid. Looking at New Hampshire and Michigan he raced from the back into the top 10 until he got in an accident. At Michigan he was in the top 5 until he had engine issues.

It just needs to come together for a whole race without problems.
One man's loss is another man's gain. Time to make a name for himself and make the most of this opportunity. I have a feeling that Dale Jr's stress level just hit an all time low today. Alex on the other hand..... Well, you get my point.

One man's loss is another man's gain. Time to make a name for himself and make the most of this opportunity. I have a feeling that Dale Jr's stress level just hit an all time low today. Alex on the other hand..... Well, you get my point.

He'll be fine.

It's not the Xfinity series, but in every race Alex was in he finished in the top 10 this year with his limited running.

Pressure is something he's already accustomed to, at least what I think. If he didn't perform as well as he did in Xfinity, I think he would have not received another opportunity with eight cup races. Jr has been singing his praises and Rick listens, so I think he will do a pretty good job.

I was never a fan always thought there was to much hype, I started to soften a couple of years ago he's paid his dues now, this is very sad news, I hope he recovers.

I feel for Jr.

But he's done. Might come back next year but this is a cycle now. Any hard crash might make it worse.

I'd avoid the plate racing if I was him. Any up and over crashes and roll overs could be it.

It's looking like I get to see Jeff Gordon's career last last race @ Martinsville. Hopefully he can put an exclamation point on his career once again at that historic track.

If you told me to name 5 tracks where Gordon would want to run again I'd add Phoenix in there.

Surprised he didn't want to run it. Well assuming it was Gordon who came up with these sets of races he's set to race.

Total bummer.I have zero interest in any NASCAR drivers other than DP and JR.IMO he's done. However, he's got more money than god,has the best medical care the world has to offer, and will have a great life in or out of a racecar.

Hope he gets this issue worked out.
If everyone thinks the stands are empty now what will it look like If he doesn't come back?

Back
Top Bottom