dale jr's dei teams were like 1 big family

T

timmyholton

been watching a few old races. seeing they way he interacted with his team was like one big family. beer flying everywhere. everybody screaming and hollering. junior giving high fives to everybody

diving on them as they caught him

i noticed you dont see that much anymore

bunch of good ol boys just having fun

its nice to look back and see to be honest

speaking of which

why did tony eury sr stop being the crew chief after 2004 for jr?

he had just won 6 races

speaking of which

why did tony eury sr stop being the crew chief after 2004 for jr?

he had just won 6 races
I recall something about a strategy to get Jr. away from working with family, that the relationship was preventing both driver and crew chief from being completely honest with each other because of the potential for hurt feelings. But I could well be misremembering.

been watching a few old races. seeing they way he interacted with his team was like one big family. beer flying everywhere. everybody screaming and hollering. junior giving high fives to everybody

diving on them as they caught him

i noticed you dont see that much anymore

bunch of good ol boys just having fun

its nice to look back and see to be honest
But they weren't winning races.

I recall something about a strategy to get Jr. away from working with family, that the relationship was preventing both driver and crew chief from being completely honest with each other because of the potential for hurt feelings. But I could well be misremembering.

This is what I remember.

As I remember it the Eury's were 'old school' ...the thinking today is the more engineers you have , the faster you go . Those college kids butting heads with the Eury's probably wasn't pretty . But I doubt it was Juniors call .

I agree that it was nice that Jr.'s team was pretty much family.... He and Tony Sr. seemed to work good together...... I think it is right that outside interference wanted Tony to leave.

All but a few of Richard Petty's wins were with Dale Inman. After Dale left Richard lost a lot of success ..... Dale came back but the magic was gone.

texas, richmond,daytona,dover,talladega,talladega,talladega,phoenix,daytona,atlanta,richmond,bristol talladega phoenix

so 6 out of 15 were restrictor plates
Michael Waltrip could win in a DEI plate car. So outside of that he'd have 7 wins in 5 years.
I like Dale Jr, but he's really not a top tier driver.
JMO.

I agree that it was nice that Jr.'s team was pretty much family.... He and Tony Sr. seemed to work good together...... I think it is right that outside interference wanted Tony to leave.

All but a few of Richard Petty's wins were with Dale Inman. After Dale left Richard lost a lot of success ..... Dale came back but the magic was gone.

Did they not can Kasey Kahnes cousin around the same time as his crew chief . These things can upset a driver crew relationship.

Bad move in hindsight, 2005 is about the time DEI started going downhill.

The move to replace pops with his son Tony Jr could have been to give the son a chance.
The problem was Dale Junior was brought up to respect Pops and he was on equal footing with Tony Jr so they had no problem bitching and arguing. The same problem continued at the Junior's shop so sister Kelly had to get rid of them.

That is how I remember it.

Tony jr has never been. Anything outside of jr. No other race teams were standing in line to hire him. Kinda like lance McGraw. Tony Sr. Did do well with other drivers. Dei had a big equipment advantage in those days

The move to replace pops with his son Tony Jr could have been to give the son a chance.
The problem was Dale Junior was brought up to respect Pops and he was on equal footing with Tony Jr so they had no problem bitching and arguing. The same problem continued at the Junior's shop so sister Kelly had to get rid of them.

That is how I remember it.
Ty Norris didn't like the Eury's ,Ty and Tewesa were rumored to be linked romantically and both of them wanted to take the company away from the "old school" way and follow the trend of hiring engineers and academic types to lead the individual teams. The problem at Jr Motorsports was similar but different.

Back
Top Bottom