Danica Patrick on NASCAR schedule: 'We don't have any lives'

... Very few of the drivers had to "pay their dues" on the local level and work for the opportunity that most racers only dream of. ...
Huh? They're doing their time at the local tracks. They're just starting much, much younger than the HOF inductees.

Huh? They're doing their time at the local tracks. They're just starting much, much younger than the HOF inductees.

The vast majority of kids racing today at the top levels didn't pay their dues per se. Yes they started much younger BUT they were involved in a driver advancement program specifically planned out for their eventual destination at the top level.
Nowhere near what that men of yesteryear had to endure to fight and claw their way to the top.
I believe this gives us a crop of whiny,spoiled steering wheel holders.
I for one don't want to hear about their hard schedule. Step aside! I would squeeze my old fat a$$ into one of those seats before it ever cooled off. I'm sure the other 39 seats would be filled just as quickly!

I have no idea which drivers haven't paid their dues in racing before coming to Nascar .Everyone from Jeff Gordon to (eeew) Danica started at age 10 or earlier in racing , and have raced ever since . Racking my pea sized brain , I can't recall any driver who started his career late in life , possibly Harry Gant or someone like that .

The vast majority of kids racing today at the top levels didn't pay their dues per se. Yes they started much younger BUT they were involved in a driver advancement program specifically planned out for their eventual destination at the top level.
Nowhere near what that men of yesteryear had to endure to fight and claw their way to the top.
I for one don't want to hear about their hard schedule. Step aside! I would squeeze my old fat a$$ into one of those seats before it ever cooled off. I'm sure the other 39 seats would be filled just as quickly!

The reasons behind Grumpy Old Man syndrome
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/aug/05/were-grumpy-for-a-reason/

LOL. Not really grumpy at all. Maybe you should check the real Mr. Excitement's stats. There was someone who paid his dues!

I think he won his first race at age 19. Maybe he's one of those kids who didn't pay his dues ?

Naaa. He did.

The point of my first post may have been missed.
If you are doing something that thounsands of other people would be willing and able to do just as well.........You might should keep your mouth shut about how horribly rough it is.
If you aren't laying on a creeper under the car Monday through Thursday after working an eight hour shift digging ditches just so you can race Friday AND Saturday AND Sunday.........I have zero sympathy for you!!!!!!!

Let's note that this discussion was started by a comment from someone who is hardly young and 'paid her dues', at least by my definition. But maybe we're using the term differently. I remember hearing it applied to Jeff Gordon, Jeff Burton, Bobby Labonte, Tony Stewart, and many others.

LOL. Not really grumpy at all. Maybe you should check the real Mr. Excitement's stats. There was someone who paid his dues!
Jimmy Spencer was the first driver I pulled for. While I agree he paid his dues, he also has only two Cup wins on his record. So much for the value of dues paying.

I'll start liking Danica again when she goes back to a series that could actually benefit from her and where she was at least somewhat competitive. Though after a number of years in stock cars I'm not sure she'll be competitive in ICS anymore either.

Naaa. He did.

The point of my first post may have been missed.
If you are doing something that thounsands of other people would be willing and able to do just as well.........You might should keep your mouth shut about how horribly rough it is.
If you aren't laying on a creeper under the car Monday through Thursday after working an eight hour shift digging ditches just so you can race Friday AND Saturday AND Sunday.........I have zero sympathy for you!!!!!!!
Nobody can race at the top levels as a sideline these days. If you're going to move up, living at the track and in the shop and chasing sponsors is how drivers have to pay their dues. They don't have time to dig ditches, chop trees, make refrigerators, etc.

But I have little sympathy too. If you're gonna chase the dream, realize it has a price.

Nobody can race at the top levels as a sideline these days. If you're going to move up, living at the track and in the shop and chasing sponsors is how drivers have to pay their dues. They don't have time to dig ditches, chop trees, make refrigerators, etc.

But I have little sympathy too. If you're gonna chase the dream, realize it has a price.

Amen.
I knew by the end of the sermon someone in the congragation would get the intended message.:lilangel:

if they would shorten the season it would only be for the drivers, the teams are still going to work year round in the shop.

Don't feel sorry for any of them. 2+ months off and retire as millionaires at 40 if they want. And have 2 to 3 days a week off.
Don't bother with the whining. Feel bad for the crews though.

I'll start liking Danica again when she goes back to a series that could actually benefit from her and where she was at least somewhat competitive. Though after a number of years in stock cars I'm not sure she'll be competitive in ICS anymore either.
Somehow I think she'll endure in the absence of your approval.

I thought our 24 race nhra schedule was demanding but it is nothing compared to the Cup teams schedule. I have been at the dragstrip here in Charlotte for the past week and I met a guy that has driven nascar haulers for some of the top Cup teams for the past 20 years He had some pretty interesting stories that's for sure. Sometimes working on a race team is a dream and sometimes it's a nightmare it just depends on which day it is. Racing can be very demanding...but when your car runs good and you win then all the hard work and long time away from home is all worth it. Some of the perks are you get to meet a lot of cool people like Dale Jr who was hanging out on the starting line during Fridays qualifying sessions. In fact he shot some video that has our car making a run and put it on his twitter account.:)

Last edited:
I thought our 24 race nhra schedule was demanding but it is nothing compared to the Cup teams schedule. I have been at the dragstrip here in Charlotte for the past week and I met a guy that has driven nascar haulers for some of the top Cup teams for the past 20 years He had some pretty interesting stories that's for sure. Sometimes working on a race team is a dream and sometimes it's a nightmare it just depends on which day it is. Racing can be very demanding...but when your car runs good and you win then all the hard work and long time away from home is all worth it. Some of the perks are you get to meet a lot of cool people like Dale Jr who was hanging out on the starting line during Fridays qualifying sessions.:)
it's all what you make it.

I thought our 24 race nhra schedule was demanding but it is nothing compared to the Cup teams schedule. I have been at the dragstrip here in Charlotte for the past week and I met a guy that has driven nascar haulers for some of the top Cup teams for the past 20 years He had some pretty interesting stories that's for sure. Sometimes working on a race team is a dream and sometimes it's a nightmare it just depends on which day it is. Racing can be very demanding...but when your car runs good and you win then all the hard work and long time away from home is all worth it. Some of the perks are you get to meet a lot of cool people like Dale Jr who was hanging out on the starting line during Fridays qualifying sessions. In fact he shot some video that has our car making a run and put it on his twitter account.:)
Too many big words , Nitro Dude . Great meeting Junior though , he loves all racing.

Dude! We must be on different discussion schedules, 'cause it feels like I haven't read any of your posts in months. Good insights; thanks.

the drivers are spolied

nice motorcoaches while the crew members stay at hotels. they get to see their families. they are in teh car what 10 hours a weekend?

Dude! We must be on different discussion schedules, 'cause it feels like I haven't read any of your posts in months. Good insights; thanks.
I have been so busy that I usually just check in here and read some of the threads but don't really have the time to post much. I pulled out of the Charlotte track at 6:00am this morning heading to St Louis and when I got about 20 miles north of Mooresville on I-77 i started seeing Cup haulers returning from Joliet. Them boys had the hammer down, I probably saw around 25 haulers within a 50 mile stretch. There was a lot of expensive equipment on the highway with a convoy of Cup haulers coming south and a convoy of Nhra haulers going north. That would probably make some of the insurance companies a little nervous.:)

the drivers are spolied

nice motorcoaches while the crew members stay at hotels. they get to see their families. they are in teh car what 10 hours a weekend?

They also drive in close proximity to other cars at very high speeds for hundreds of miles. Let's be honest here when it comes to racing NASCAR is one of the most grueling forms of it when you combine that with the long season. Indy cars I think physically would have to be the most difficult to drive as their ridiculous downforce has to make them like a bear to drive

Just noticed that NASCAR is seemingly taking my (and other far more learned people's) advice on reducing the off-weeks and running more consecutive weekends. NASCAR has only two off-weekends next year as opposed to the three in previous years. Seems like a step in the right direction: maintaining the number of races while shortening the sheer length of the season. This also will keep NASCAR consistently in the news and on people's minds.

Find it hard to listen to anyone with a net worth of $18 million complain about not having "a life" while doing yoga on a yacht in paradise.

Screen-Shot-2015-09-02-at-11.23.16-PM-395x400.png

Come back down to earth please, the humble pie tastes better down here.

Agree 100%.

I don't really think she is complaining or wanting anyone to feel sorry for her, or any of the other drivers on tour. I think she is just stating the facts and telling the truth about what would make it better. I don't blame her for that, we all want to have the best life we can have...and I would bet that she would agree that even though she has a very demanding job, she loves it and wouldn't trade it for anything even if the money wasn't so good.

Back
Top Bottom