David Ragan leading candidate to replace Kyle Busch in the #18

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Interesting plot twist.

David Ragan has been contacted by Joe Gibbs Racing about driving the No. 18 Toyota while Kyle Busch recovers from a compound fracture in his right leg, multiple sources told NASCAR Talk.

JGR is considering a plan that would share the ride between Ragan and Camping World Truck Series driver Erik Jones, who is under contract to the team, while Busch recovers from his injury. There is no timetable on the return for Busch, who spent a third consecutive night in a Daytona Beach, Fla., hospital after being hurt in a Saturday crash during the Xfinity Series season opener at Daytona International Speedway.
The Charlotte Observer reported that Ragan met with JGR officials Tuesday morning at the team’s Huntserville, N.C., headquarters. Team owner Joe Gibbs met Monday morning with Jones, who has four career victories in the truck series, about taking over the No. 18, but there are concerns about how it might impact the 18-year-old’s future sponsorship prospects if he struggled in Busch’s absence.

Jones races full time for Kyle Busch Motorsports in the truck series and is running 10 races in the Xfinity Series for JGR. He is a likely candidate to take over Busch’s part-time schedule in the No. 54 Toyota on the Xfinity circuit.

Among the plans being considered would be to put Ragan in the No. 18 for several races and then allow Jones some time behind the wheel after he has more Xfinity and truck experience.

It wasn’t clear immediately how Ragan’s Ford relationship might be affected, but multiple sources said JGR had received approval from Ford and Roush Fenway Racing to put driver Elliott Sadler in the No. 18 for the Daytona 500 before electing to run truck series champion Matt Crafton.

http://nascartalk.nbcsports.com/201...-for-injured-kyle-busch-for-joe-gibbs-racing/

Crafton came in third out of the nine Toyota's in the race and second out of the four Gibbs cars. I would leave him in there, he is doing better than half of Gibbs team so far.

The only hold up is making sure David's 34 sponsor this weekend (CSX) is made whole because of this.

The only hold up is making sure David's 34 sponsor this weekend (CSX) is made whole because of this.
Is he going to have to be released from his FRM contract entirely? Seems like he'll be with JGR for a pretty lengthy period of time, even if it eventually turns into part-time with Erik Jones.

Is he going to have to be released from his FRM contract entirely? Seems like he'll be with JGR for a pretty lengthy period of time, even if it eventually turns into part-time with Erik Jones.

David has a nice bit of sponsorship, I would not be surprised to him loaned for a period of time and then go back to the 34. The question is now if he moves temporarily, what about the 34 at FRM?

Crafton came in third out of the nine Toyota's in the race and second out of the four Gibbs cars. I would leave him in there, he is doing better than half of Gibbs team so far.

But that is because anyone can win at Daytona. :)

David has a nice bit of sponsorship, I would not be surprised to him loaned for a period of time and then go back to the 34. The question is now if he moves temporarily, what about the 34 at FRM?
Elliot Sadler.

Elliot Sadler.

giphy.gif

So is the 35 a full-time deal at FRM this year? I think they've just run that car on occasion in the past. If not, why not just put Cole Whitt in the 34?

So is the 35 a full-time deal at FRM this year? I think they've just run that car on occasion in the past. If not, why not just put Cole Whitt in the 34?
It ran full-time in 2013 although towards the end of the season they started to S&P it. But it's supposed to race every weekend this year.

Oh Whitt is full-time. They transferred Ragan's owners points to Whitt so he would not have to qualify on speed this year. This is why Ragan had to qualify on speed for the 500 this year, but after next week I think Ragan will not have to worry about qualifying on speed. If he goes back to the 34, lets just say he did.

I saw Jim Utter say he would be released from his contract in order to do this, so hopefully they come to some sort of agreement for him to come back once Kyle is healthy.

I wonder if Jack Roush ever thinks about David Ragan or Jamie McMurray when he puts his head on the pillow at night. I know I would rather have Ragan and JMc wheeling my cars than Stenny and Bayne.

I wonder if Jack Roush ever thinks about David Ragan or Jamie McMurray when he puts his head on the pillow at night. I know I would rather have Ragan and JMc wheeling my cars than Stenny and Bayne.
McMurray was never happy at RFR and Ragan had a ton of chances to show his stuff.

I hear there is something in the water at RFR.

Based on their performances at RFR, probably not. McMurray and Ragan had a combined 3 wins in a cumulative 9 years with Roush, all 3 of which came on RP tracks. No chase appearances between the two of them either.

Ragan had a solid 2008 campaign, I don't know what happened after that. Maybe a byproduct of RFR having increasingly fewer resources.

I think for Jamie it was more of a fit issue. I think I remember him saying recently he wasn't fond of the way Jack dealt with people.

Based on their performances at RFR, probably not. McMurray and Ragan had a combined 3 wins in a cumulative 9 years with Roush, all 3 of which came on RP tracks. No chase appearances between the two of them either.

No doubt that JMc and Ragan did very little at RFR but I bet it will end up being much more than Stenny or Bayne do. IMO Stenny is a dead dog and Bayne a one hit wonder but I have been wrong before.

McMurray was never happy at RFR and Ragan had a ton of chances to show his stuff.

I hear there is something in the water at RFR.

I don't know what it is in the water but letting Kenseth and Edwards get away without suitable replacements ain't good.

I don't know what it is in the water but letting Kenseth and Edwards get away without suitable replacements ain't good.

Jack had no choice. The team ran decent when jack was the owner, now his partner Fenway runs the office end and Jack looks after the cars.
But then He already has cashed his chips, reaped his profits and doesn't have a worry in the world, other than his name. He still owns part of the Roush/Yates business.

Marty Smith said that Carl and Matt likely had some input in getting Ragan the ride. I'm glad they didn't bring up Jones to start partially. Plus if Ragan does really well, he could get another look from a better team.. his last chance.

Hey maybe it will work. Kyle Busch didn't do much with Hendrick compared to what he did at Gibbs. Joey didn't do much with Gibbs but has done real well with Penske. You just never know. Ragan might surprise everyone.

Official:

Joe Gibbs Racing found an experienced replacement for the injured Kyle Busch.

David Ragan, a ninth-year Sprint Cup Series driver who currently races for Front Row Motorsports, will substitute for Busch in the No. 18 car for at least the next few weeks — possibly longer.

Busch suffered a compound fracture of his right leg and also broke his left foot in a crash Saturday at Daytona International Speedway. He is out indefinitely.

JGR, after discussing a variety of candidates for the car, worked out a deal with Ragan and Front Row. Ragan, 29, will return to the No. 34 car later this year after his sub duties are finished, JGR said Tuesday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-gibbs-racing-front-row-motorsports/23962017/

Erik Jones will be in the Xfinity Series #54 this weekend.

They cant issue him one in a normal buisness day?
Interesting, they can add a driver to the chase with just a press conference.
I guess it requires some sort of renewal application, plus he would have to get a physical and dole out the ~$2,500 for the license.

I guess it requires some sort of renewal application, plus he would have to get a physical and dole out the ~$2,500 for the license.

Seems like chump change and minimum effort to compete on the Nascar stage.

Ok but still worth it imo.
I would think so too. But I guess considering he only ran three races last year and the year prior he ran for a team (Burger King Racing) that has a history of not paying drivers he may not have a pile of cash just lying around for something so sudden. But I don't know the whole process or anything, just speculating.

I would think so too. But I guess considering he only ran three races last year and the year prior he ran for a team (Burger King Racing) that has a history of not paying drivers he may not have a pile of cash just lying around for something so sudden. But I don't know the whole process or anything, just speculating.

Why not get one of the younger heads out of the Roush Xfinity group? I would LOVE to see Buescher in the 34 for a bit and then maybe swap between the younger Roush Xfinity drivers, but that may not be nice for sponsors.

Back
Top Bottom