Day or Night Races?

Counting all races( All Star, Duels, Shootout), and ones that that transition to night, 12, 13 if you add Homestead , that one always ends under the lights too, even though it starts at 2pm.
One less next year. Texas has announced it's moving one of its dated to a day race, although I don't remember which one.

I work in the heat and sun every day....... you must be like some of the people I have been to races with..... Like Labor Day Darlington..... folks that are lilly white...... work in cubicles and never see the sun except when leaving work to make the trip to the car....... try to get a tiny bit acclimated before you go then you won't come home looking like a Lobster.......

I had season's tix to the Southen 500 for years and used to hydrate really well before race time as those were the hottest races I have ever attended.

I had season's tix to the Southen 500 for years and used to hydrate really well before race time as those were the hottest races I have ever attended.
I'm one of those people who couldn't care less about tradition, and wish they'd left the Darlington race on Mother's Day. MUCH better weather.

One less next year. Texas has announced it's moving one of its dated to a day race, although I don't remember which one.
Right, but since he didn't make it clear what schedule he is was asking about, I used 2016.

I like my night races but I'm fine with them being more rare on the schedule. Night racing is one of my favorite things and 1 reason why the July race at Daytona is one of my favorites.

All-Star race, World 600, July Daytona, August Bristol, September Richmond, and fall Talladega should all be run at night. Everything else should be Sunday afternoon.

Darlington on Labor Day was a bit warm. It is what it was. In my travel days I don't recall anyone saying much about it. Air conditioning wasn't standard equipment at the time, windows down at a modest speed which may have been slightly over the limit kept us from offending one another on the way home.

In the mid-fifties, my father crewed for a friend of his. Wynn's provided pith helmets to everyone working the pits. He gave it to me 'n I wore the thing until it disintegrated.

Kinda like to have 'em keep the thing in September, daylight hours. Maybe drop the flag at 10:30.

There are 2 corporate entities currently pouring $880 Million per year into the sport. 8 years to go.

Those people decide what time the races start. Don't shoot the messenger.

Yep.

Little chance of me shootin' anything but steel these days. Paper's kinda borin'. Messengers are messy - and illegal.

All-Star race, World 600, July Daytona, August Bristol, September Richmond, and fall Talladega should all be run at night. Everything else should be Sunday afternoon.

Saturday night is a graveyard for TV viewing so it may be better for Nascar to run the races Friday or Sunday nights.

There are 2 corporate entities currently pouring $880 Million per year into the sport. 8 years to go.

Those people decide what time the races start. Don't shoot the messenger.

I wonder if the network people involved in negotiating the TV contracts are still employed? Nascar programming has not caused NBC or FOX sports to be able to charge cable/sat providers any more then they did prior to Nascar coming on board and that was a huge carrot for the networks. I would be interested in knowing what safeguards and contingencies the networks have in place and when they are triggered.

Saturday night is a graveyard for TV viewing so it may be better for Nascar to run the races Friday or Sunday nights.

Everything is a trade-off though. Saturday night cup races generally have better attendance but worse TV ratings, the opposite of Sunday. The few weeknight cup races we've had were even more skewed towards TV. Unfortunately, because the track owners and the league itself selling the TV contract are separate entities and both for-profit, it's hard to come together and do what's best for the sport overall.

Back
Top Bottom