Denny Hamlin

I think we can all agree on this. Realistically, he has a 0% chance of making the chase. What has he got to gain? No one will blame him if he chose to sit out the rest of the season.

that was driver error IMO, pulled down off the banking and lost it coming back on the track, and I think he worked over Truex with his air, not intentional, but not alert driving either. You got to be on top of your game to race in cup and for whatever reason, taking pain pills, or being in pain without them, his head isn't in the game.

My only thing is, if Denny is medically cleared, and wants to race, it's gonna be hard for Gibbs to sit him only because you don't want Denny coming in next year pissed off at the owner..

My only thing is, if Denny is medically cleared, and wants to race, it's gonna be hard for Gibbs to sit him only because you don't want Denny coming in next year pissed off at the owner..

Screw worrying about him being pissed. His health is more important. How many wrecks has he been in since he returned? Quite a few.

yep he has a contract for who knows how many years, he isn't going anywhere unless he agrees to get bought out or his contract isn't renewed when it expires. Unless he walks away..can't see him doing that, too much money involved.

Setting Hamlin out doesn't guarantee Vickers getting the #11 ride for the rest of the year.

yep he has a contract for who knows how many years, he isn't going anywhere unless he agrees to get bought out or his contract isn't renewed when it expires. Unless he walks away..can't see him doing that, too much money involved.
Todays contracts have so many clauses, injury- attitude- performance etc. that there is almost always sufficient cause to break a contract from either side and I think there is probably more than enough reasons to break Denny Hamlins.

Drivers are like dogs chasing frizbees, they will do it regardless of consequences. I recall when Hamlin was injured some time ago the media praised him for playing through the pain, he won the race - what kind of message is that? Hamlin isn't driving his best; like many drivers who missed races from injury they often come back driving more conservative.

I think Vickers is an example, he was out for a season. When he came back he tried too hard - causing a lot of wrecks. He has since turned things around.

Didnt he say he wants to run the rest of the season for his sponsors? So he obviously knows he's doomed as far as the chase. Im wondering if FedEx is trying to keep him in the car.. or maybe they're just not okay with a long term sub?

Hamlin got a lot of years left in him IF he does the smart thing and gets the surgery. Owners aren't blind they see how good he is and if Gibbs dumps him (Unlikely) someone else will snap him up quick.

He needs to play it smart and get the surgery. His Chase chances are over and w/ the way he's running his chances of winning a race are slim. Get the surgery now, plenty of time to heal and be ready for next year. No driver wants to be out of car but he's gotta be smart. Racing for pride could impact his whole career if something happens.

Denny keeps trying so hard to make good finishes/wins happen that he's hurting himself --- and I don't mean just physically. Sometimes you can try TOO hard, and that's what I see him doing.

He needs to stop now, get the back fixed, and return next year --- strong and ready to mix it up.
But there could also be in the back of his mind, the fear that surgery could go wrong, or could not fix the problem.

Take the opportunity to maximize the post surgery rehab time , don't try to cram it in during the short off season then come back at less than 100%.

It could have been him nailing the inside wall instead of Truex or Kahne and who knows how that would have turned out.

What happened to Denny's car when he turned hard right on the straight and caused that wreck?

Ugh. It was so bad that I thought that there must have been some sort of mechanical failure. No wonder he's getting slammed in this thread.

Slammed? I must have people blocked and don't see their posts as all I see is people saying he should consider his health first.

Denny has seen some of the best doctors in the world since the original injury. Common people (you and I excluding Fender) couldn't afford these professionals. Those doctors know what is best for Denny. If they let Denny race thinking for a second he could end his career, the liability is unbelievable.

Leave it to media people to hype this all up and play shoulda, woulda, could have. :rolleyes:

Does Dale Earnhardt's neck injury before his death not come into people's minds? He still raced while refusing surgery, ignoring doctors, and had to had his team help him take his fire suit off it got so bad. I believe he did eventually get the surgery the next off season though.

Does Dale Earnhardt's neck injury before his death not come into people's minds? He still raced while refusing surgery, ignoring doctors, and had to had his team help him take his fire suit off it got so bad. I believe he did eventually get the surgery the next off season though.

I remember. He suffered more than most people know. When Mark Martin had his back injury and had surgery, some said that Dale had surgery on his neck just to one up Mark. What some didn't realize is that had Mark's surgery gone wrong he might not have walked again. Had Dale's surgery gone wrong, he could have easily become paralyzed like Christopher Reeve -- or died.

I sincerely hope Denny is listening to the doctors and actually hearing what they are telling him. All too often we tend to have 'selective' hearing when we don't want to hear something.

His GPS told him to turn right ???

LOL@Whizzer.

What happened to Denny's car when he turned hard right on the straight and caused that wreck?
Matthew, since he went down on the apron he could have over-corrected to get back on the track, or the difference in banking could have thrown him to the right quicker than he anticipated. Also, the yellow lines could have contributed, since they offer less grip --

I've never been a Denny Hamlin fan but here's a pretty good interview with him about the changes @ JGR.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/denny-hamlin-believes-change-is-good

Yeah, I will catch crap for this, but the line, "....haven't won a Championship since switching to Toyota in 2008...." really pisses me off on several levels. First, there are plenty of non-Championship years in GM stuff. Second, JGR has had two clear shots at the title in the seven years with Toyota. Third, the reason JGR switched to Toyota had everything to do with how they were treated by Chevy. I suppose until a Toyota team wins this thing, this **** is inevitable, but I just don't think that it's accurate. TRD can't ****** pit, crew chief, or drive the car.

Yeah, I will catch crap for this, but the line, "....haven't won a Championship since switching to Toyota in 2008...." really pisses me off on several levels. First, there are plenty of non-Championship years in GM stuff. Second, JGR has had two clear shots at the title in the seven years with Toyota. Third, the reason JGR switched to Toyota had everything to do with how they were treated by Chevy. I suppose until a Toyota team wins this thing, this sh!t is inevitable, but I just don't think that it's accurate. TRD can't ******* pit, crew chief, or drive the car.

It should really say..."JGR hasn't won a championship since Tony Stewart left"...

It should really say..."JGR hasn't won a championship since Tony Stewart left"...

But they have come close a couple times with Denny and of course it is always the CC's fault.

Didn't they get a second not long ago with an old broken down Ford driver :)

I'm still not a fan of this guy but this was pretty cool.

Defending Daytona 500 winner Denny Hamlin is paying tribute to J.D. Gibbs, son of team owner Joe Gibbs, in a very cool way.

To honor J.D., Hamlin is putting his name above the driver’s side door of his No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota. Check out the video.

Since March 2015 J.D. has been undergoing treatment for symptoms impacting areas of brain function that the team said began with speech and processing issues.

When the team made the announcement in 2015, officials said doctors believed the issues were related to previous head injuries J.D. suffered. He played quarterback and defensive back in college.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...-nascar-021517?cmpid=feed:-sports-CQ-RSS-Feed

I have a close friend who now is having problems in his 40's with head injuries suffered in football.He also played middle school up to college football.My prayers out to the Gibbs family.

Back
Top Bottom