do you think it's a big deal daytona gets bigger ratings than Homestead finale?

I think the 24 hours of Daytona has become a bigger race because all of the hype leading to the 500 has lost its luster. Plus a lot of drivers from other series are "crossing over" to be in the 24 hrs.
Until the restrictor plates can be safely eliminated, the 24 is the only race I'd consider going to Daytona to see.

Daytona hasn't been the same to me for many years.

The Busch Clash format has changed so many times, it's meaningless.

The Gatorade Twin races are a joke now.

To me, all the things that build up the hype for the 500 aren't what they were anymore, and the 500 doesn't have the same feeling.

I don't sit around the TV for days, watching all of the Speedweeks stuff, and then sit around Sunday morning counting the seconds until the Daytona 500 goes green.

Of course, my interest in NASCAR racing has declined so much over the past 5-6 years. Even moreso this year than ever.

Ditto my friend, ditto

I think Nascar dropped any prestige in winning the Homestead lottery . I would love to see them make the championship important again .I 'd love to see folks in the stands cheering, pit crews lining up on pit roadto shake the hand of a champion , stands still full to listen to the new champ say his piece . But that part of Nascar is sadly part of history . Turn out the lights and wait for Daytona.

I liked the old Atlanta and when it was the last race of the year as those were some fun times. I would like to thank Brian France for proving the saying that "you don't know how much you miss something until it is gone."

I hate to, but agree that the Twin races are pointless now.

It probably won't be long before the winners of the Twin 125's or whatever they are called this week will be awarded a berth in the Chase.

I look forward to Daytona because a new season begins. I look forward to Atlanta the week after even more.

I look forward to Martinsville even more although I really liked the Atlanta race this year.

I think Nascar dropped any prestige in winning the Homestead lottery . I would love to see them make the championship important again .I 'd love to see folks in the stands cheering, pit crews lining up on pit roadto shake the hand of a champion , stands still full to listen to the new champ say his piece . But that part of Nascar is sadly part of history . Turn out the lights and wait for Daytona.
I disagree, Ted. I am no fan of the current format for crowning a champion, but one only needs to observe the efforts and priorities of the teams and drivers to win it to see it is still a very big deal.

Nascar programming knocks it out of the park for the first few races and then settles in until Talladega which normally gets good viewership and then things settle in until Labor Day. Charlotte used to be a really good race viewer wise but has lost a lot of oomph recently.

Once the Chase and Football begin it can be slim pickings for some of the races although the finale did really well last year thanks running over into NFL time. Ideally the finale would be delayed every year although I was not a happy camper when the NFL Pre Game Show was essentially cancelled.

Nothing anymore will get that good of ratings in the Fall due to how big football has became. The NFL and College Football viewership wise are absolutely insane, hell the SEC pulled in a 4 average last year on their CBS game of the week

I live 165 miles from Homestead speedway. At the start of this track I went a lot, I was there and saw the late John Nemacheck hit the wall in turn one, sad sad. I was there when they were loosing it in the corners and backing into the wall and catching fire. Felt the heat off the blaze that Dancing Shoes McLaughlin came close to burning up in, off turn 4, saw him dive out of the flames. I have helped pit a Truck team there in the second truck race at Homestead for a friend of mine that was sponsoring the truck, Frank Kimmel drove for him at that race. Went to all the Busch races and truck races early on.
But, I will never go back to that track and I could care less about the final there because this chase thing is a joke, but, that is JMHO. Viewing the race from the grandstands at that track is just plain awful.

I think its because of the surface change and the old homestead was better.

You're right. If it was still shaped like a mini Indianapolis-widely considered the worst track in NASCAR-i'm sure it would be doing great!

It was, it sucked big time.

Plus even now if you sit in front of pit road on the front stretch, no matter where you sit, you can not see the cars as they go by, only the roof.

Flat tracks are a million dollar industry in America and many fans love flat tracks

I was at the very first Homestead race. The most exciting thing I saw was Big E playing bumper tag with the pace car.
The original layout was totally snooze worthy. If it hadn't been so hot and humid, I would have taken a nap in the stands.

Partly the NFL ,and partly whatever the other reason is of the majority here.

Nothing anymore will get that good of ratings in the Fall due to how big football has became. The NFL and College Football viewership wise are absolutely insane, hell the SEC pulled in a 4 average last year on their CBS game of the week

The SEC is awesome!

I was at the very first Homestead race. The most exciting thing I saw was Big E playing bumper tag with the pace car.
The original layout was totally snooze worthy. If it hadn't been so hot and humid, I would have taken a nap in the stands.

Was Elmo Langley still driving the pace car back then?

This. Nothing in the world of entertainment can compete with football right now, not movies, not TV shows, not any other sport by a longshot. That's not to say it will always be the case. Baseball playoffs can get away with it since the games are weeknights (and even MLB is hurting big time from other factors), but NASCAR goes head to head on weekends for 11 weeks and no chase gimmick is going to overcome that competition.

The NFL went for the jugular with the Carolina Panthers in '95 and the Tennessee Titans in '97.

The Daytona 500 should ALWAYS get the biggest ratings of the year. It's the Super Bowl of NASCAR. Just like the Indy 500, Monaco, Le Mans, etc. should always get the highest ratings in their respective sports.

The Daytona 500 should ALWAYS get the biggest ratings of the year. It's the Super Bowl of NASCAR. Just like the Indy 500, Monaco, Le Mans, etc. should always get the highest ratings in their respective sports.
I know what makes the Indy 500 special. It's significantly longer than the other Indy Car races, with the largest field of the season (admittedly padded out with field fillers), on the oldest track on that circuit.

What exactly does 'Super Bowl of NASCAR' mean? What makes the D500 the 'Super Bowl'? Last time I checked, football's Super Bowl came at the end of the season and determined the champion. It's not the longest race, oldest track, longest track, or largest field. Okay, it's got a Q format we all despair of when our non-racing friends ask us to explain what determines who starts where. But what makes the race itself stand above the other plate races, or any other races, other than it's first?

I would still rather watch a fair homestead race without any cheating of fathom debris cautions or the lottery chase over the NFL

I know what makes the Indy 500 special. It's significantly longer than the other Indy Car races, with the largest field of the season (admittedly padded out with field fillers), on the oldest track on that circuit.

What exactly does 'Super Bowl of NASCAR' mean? What makes the D500 the 'Super Bowl'? Last time I checked, football's Super Bowl came at the end of the season and determined the champion. It's not the longest race, oldest track, longest track, or largest field. Okay, it's got a Q format we all despair of when our non-racing friends ask us to explain what determines who starts where. But what makes the race itself stand above the other plate races, or any other races, other than it's first?
Like the shape of the track itself, the logic becomes somewhat circular. The Daytona 500 is the biggest race because everyone says it is the biggest. And it pays the biggest purse. Why? Because Nascar awards the biggest slice of the TV money to the Daytona 500. Nascar does that because it is the biggest race. Rinse and repeat. (To me, the Southern 500 is the most prestigious race to win.)

BF declared it to be. End of discussion. :p

The history of racing in Daytona goes back long before Daytona International, or even Darlington. In Februaries going back to the 1930s, Speed demons have attempted land speed records on the beach, and stock cars have screamed down A1A on the beach-and-road course. Other than possibly in the rural mountains of Georgia and North Carolina, I don't think anywhere can claim the lengthy history of Daytona. That's why it's more prestigious than any other race.

I disagree, Ted. I am no fan of the current format for crowning a champion, but one only needs to observe the efforts and priorities of the teams and drivers to win it to see it is still a very big deal.
Oh , I think it will always be a big deal to teams and sponsors , I'm just not sure that there is any amount of effort and priorities that will ensure success in winning a championship .I mean , you could win twenty races and lose the championship . That ain't right

Oh , I think it will always be a big deal to teams and sponsors , I'm just not sure that there is any amount of effort and priorities that will ensure success in winning a championship .I mean , you could win twenty races and lose the championship . That ain't right
I hate the phrase "It is what it is," but that over-used phrase fits here. I agree that winning 20 races but not the championship would be a major travesty. But it is possible under the current format, just as it has always been possible under every format Nascar has ever used to crown its champion. Winning has *always* been under-rewarded by Nascar.

Once the Chase starts, the best way to progress through the series of eliminations is to be consistently excellent. That is where the teams put the effort and priority. If you are not able to do that, then a strategically-timed win will bail you out. The elimination format is not one I like, but you have to admit it is a difficult path that rewards on-track performance.

Like the shape of the track itself, the logic becomes somewhat circular. The Daytona 500 is the biggest race because everyone says it is the biggest. And it pays the biggest purse. Why? Because Nascar awards the biggest slice of the TV money to the Daytona 500. Nascar does that because it is the biggest race. Rinse and repeat. (To me, the Southern 500 is the most prestigious race to win.)

It's the biggest because that's where NASCAR started on those beaches

I have zero reasons to watch homestead, there are way too many things on tv, like football.

The 500 is a historical race, therefore i tune in. Honestly though, its probably 1 of maybe 2 or 3 races i'll watch every year now.

29-4 said it the very best...... Daytona was where it all started...... that's where Big Bill and his buddys first put all this together... without them...... none of this would have happened. The beach races.... then Bill stuck his neck out to build the fastest track ever imagined at the time.... The only track that comes close to rivaling it is Darlington..... as far as history..... but...... Daytona is and always will be the Crown Jewel of Nascar......

Back
Top Bottom