does carl, resign with roush or go somewhere like penske???

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
we have seen matt leave roush because the sponsorship just wasn't there. Now IMO we are seeing the roush cars loose a performance edge because they are stretched pretty thin on sponsorship. I know there is always something on the cars but when stenhouse has ecoboost on the car it means thats last minute and at a very steep discount. Based on brad winning the title and Joey finally looking like an upper tier cup driver. If you are carl do you try and bolt for penske if its doable by them?? If its me I leave for penske. thats just me though. If it wasn't for richmond I think I honestly would take MWR depending on how much toyota was willing to throw into the deal. It looks to me like roush is on a down hill slide and lack of full funding is taking its toll.

on edit, if we get to the coke 600 and nothing has been said, we will know carl is indeed shoping himself.

Didn't Carl signed an extension a few years ago?

He's trapped. Lost his oportunity to go to Gibbs.

There was a rumor they wanted him but he refused. Dumb idea.

According to this article, both his and Biffle's contracts are up for renewal at the end of this season:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...me-in-signing-carl-edwards-greg-biffle-012914

The Fords as a group were pretty slow last year, especially after Penske had to give up their trick rear end housing. Penske is doing much better right now than Roush is, so as of right now, jumping ship would be a no-brainer. It's still very early in the season, though, and the Gibbs team is behind the 8-ball right now too.

There are all sorts of things that go on behind the scenes that we as fans know nothing about that will influence both Edwards' and Roush's decision on how to move forward.

we have seen matt leave roush because the sponsorship just wasn't there. Now IMO we are seeing the roush cars loose a performance edge because they are stretched pretty thin on sponsorship. I know there is always something on the cars but when stenhouse has ecoboost on the car it means thats last minute and at a very steep discount. Based on brad winning the title and Joey finally looking like an upper tier cup driver. If you are carl do you try and bolt for penske if its doable by them?? If its me I leave for penske. thats just me though. If it wasn't for richmond I think I honestly would take MWR depending on how much toyota was willing to throw into the deal. It looks to me like roush is on a down hill slide and lack of full funding is taking its toll.

on edit, if we get to the coke 600 and nothing has been said, we will know carl is indeed shoping himself.

Carl will never leave Ford. Thus, Penske.....and then you have a super team. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of Jamie Allison hustling Penske at the expense of Roush right now. I will tell you what....as a guy who appreciates and thrives on manufacturer loyalty, what Penske has rolling right now is absolutely brilliant. That engineering staff is to be commended. Great story.

According to this article, both his and Biffle's contracts are up for renewal at the end of this season:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...me-in-signing-carl-edwards-greg-biffle-012914

The Fords as a group were pretty slow last year, especially after Penske had to give up their trick rear end housing. Penske is doing much better right now than Roush is, so as of right now, jumping ship would be a no-brainer. It's still very early in the season, though, and the Gibbs team is behind the 8-ball right now too.

There are all sorts of things that go on behind the scenes that we as fans know nothing about that will influence both Edwards' and Roush's decision on how to move forward.

JGR had a great day at Texas. I have never been more pleased with my TRD Toyotas when they didn't win than I am today. They showed me something in terms of gaining on the new set ups. Clint could have easily won two in a row if not for pit issues. Very, very, very pleased.

Carl didn't refuse. He was gone. Ford sold the farm for him. Money talks baby.

Carl will never leave Ford. Thus, Penske.....and then you have a super team. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of Jamie Allison hustling Penske at the expense of Roush right now. I will tell you what....as a guy who appreciates and thrives on manufacturer loyalty, what Penske has rolling right now is absolutely brilliant. That engineering staff is to be commended. Great story.

Interesting take.

What makes you think he wouldn't leave Ford? Loyalty can only get you so far.

We all know Roush would dispose of Carl the minute he stops performing.

I can tell you one thing for sure, if say Hendrick were to call him up, offering him a ride, say Gordon's for the sake of the arguement. Do you think he would turn that down? I think not.

Interesting take.

I can tell you one thing for sure, if say Hendrick were to call him up, offering him a ride, say Gordon's for the sake of the arguement. Do you think he would turn that down? I think not.

Supposedly carl turned down hendrick at the beginning of his career. And biffle turned down the 11 before Hamlin took it over. :owquitit:

Interesting take.

Rev is right, Carl would never leave Ford. Their relationship is way too strong, and Ford would do anything to keep him.

If Penske makes an offer to Carl, I'm sure they could find him sponsorship to run a third car full-time.

Much rather see him at Penske but I don't see that happening unless Roger gets some extra funding. I predict Carl remains at Roush for a bit longer. He has a good crew chief, good sponsors. Subway and Ford both have strong ties with Carl so yeah, I don't see him leaving Roush anytime soon.

Supposedly carl turned down hendrick at the beginning of his career. And biffle turned down the 11 before Hamlin took it over. :owquitit:
ok lets look back to say '05 roush had 5 cars running, if I was biffle at the time I wouldn't have taken the 11 car and if I was carl roush's stuff back then was just as good. Things have changed. I don't buy the whole he is too loyal to ford thing, hogwash. What if roush flat out doesn't have that great of deal to offer carl??? just like with matt kenseth, matt didn't want to leave, sponsorship flat out wasn't there for him. I guess thats a story that is not all that well known on why matt left for gibbs. The last year matt ran the 17 car at least a 1/3 of the season was ran largely out of jack's pocket.

Yes carl did wait quite a while last time to re up with roush, he was shopping himself then too. If you are him why the heck wouldn't you. See what else is out there and what others are willing to pay. It gives you a much better position at the bargaining table. Penske IMO has a problem in that they have always been on an island and never really had a stable of guys that could win on a consistent basis. Penske is the most wealthy guy in the sport and he also has business relationships well beyond nascar, think sponsorship. If you want to hitch your latter to a much more stable and financially fit organization penske is the place. Roger has the money and connections to make a leap sign carl and go hussle up some sponsorship. IMO penske spends the most on their cars and certainly runs the most new cars in a given season. They also leave off alot of the contingency sponsors so the car is less cluttered. HMS, SHR, and gibbs has been really reluctant to go to 4 teams, all the other teams that would be a potential step up from roush have no room in the inn, that leaves penske. then again its all just a theory and I could be blowing smoke who knows.

I don't buy the whole he is too loyal to ford thing, hogwash. What if roush flat out doesn't have that great of deal to offer carl???

They will always have a great deal to offer him. Roush, like Ford, would do anything to keep Carl unless he suddenly becomes a terrible driver or implodes like Kurt Busch. If one of those two things happen (it won't) he goes to RPM, Front Row, or another Ford team.

The marriage between Ford and Carl is well known to everyone. I would argue that Carl's ties with Ford are as strong, or stronger, than Tony/Junior/Gordon with GM. Would Tony choose to drive for a non-Chevy team? Obviously not, or he wouldn't have left Gibbs and started his own team.

Also, Kenseth leaving Roush was a no-brainer. Why play second fiddle at Roush when you can be the top dog at Gibbs, which is the superior team anyway?

Also, Kenseth leaving Roush was a no-brainer. Why play second fiddle at Roush when you can be the top dog at Gibbs, which is the superior team anyway?

Yep, he left on his own terms not because of sponsorship.

TS you sound like ford is providing all the sponsorship and paying all the salary or something?? If there is piece meal sponsorship at roush the money just flat out will NOT be there to pay carl. Think about what your saying kenseth second fiddle and all. None of that was the issue Jack didn't have the pieces in place to make it work. It was either go to gibbs or spend another season at roush with the hopes of maybe getting a big sponsor. To the extent ford was involved they likely did pay extra money when matt was running without a sponsor so they could put ecoboost on his car or something. Again that stuff is done at a discount at the last minute. it comes down like this, we need 300 grand to be fully funded to run a particular race, isn't taking 75 grand and putting a last minute sponsor on the car and only loosing 225k better than loosing the whole 300k?? that is an example of how this shakes down. second fiddle had nothing to do with any of this. Stenhouse could even be taking a pay cut because they I am sure are lacking funding for the 17 car for other races this season. You have biffle and carl with for the most part full funding and stenhouse with partial funding. If your carl this doesn't look good for the future thats all I am saying. Companies like ford normally agree to provide more services and resources to the teams rather than directly giving money to drivers. Maybe they give them a ford dealership or something to sweeten the pot.

as to kenseth leaving on his own terms, your right but the choice came down to what I said above. Also I am sure part of a drivers contract is contingent upon sponsorship. We saw that with truex leaving MWR

Carl is a huge attraction for sponsors so I don't see lack of funding ever being an issue. At least not for the 99 team. But if Penske reaches out to Carl and offers him a ride, I could see that working out. Penske couldn't get sponsors for Hornish because Hornish sucks. They wouldn't have any trouble finding sponsorship for a third team if Carl was the driver.

Roush blew it losing Kenseth and picking up Stenhouse . No way can they afford to lose Biffle or Edwards . They have to pay them whatever they want to stay.

Many were counting Penske out last year around this time.

Penske got a lot of help from the partnership with Roush last year. I don't see any help for Roush from Penske this year. If that is the way Penske does business, Edwards should probably stay away from there. If he did go there, that would be about the time Roush would would have a return to prominence.

Penske got a lot of help from the partnership with Roush last year. I don't see any help for Roush from Penske this year. If that is the way Penske does business, Edwards should probably stay away from there. If he did go there, that would be about the time Roush would would have a return to prominence.

LOL. Oddly enough, people were saying the exact opposite last year, that Roush wasn't doing all it could for Penske. Anything for an excuse, I guess :)

o_O

Rev is right, Carl would never leave Ford. Their relationship is way too strong, and Ford would do anything to keep him.

If Penske makes an offer to Carl, I'm sure they could find him sponsorship to run a third car full-time.
o_O

Carl didn't refuse. He was gone. Ford sold the farm for him. Money talks baby.
:)

I've wondered about Penske going back to a 3 car organization, but I don't see it happening now. Why upset the chemistry they have going now? They also seem to still be high on Ryan Blaney. If he picks it up in NW, he would probably be the 3rd Penske car. I think Penske will slowly displace Roush as the top Ford organization, and all the Ford teams will start to benefit from all that Penske engineering. We may even see Roush-Yates-Penske engines on the track in a couple of years.

Carl missed his chance back in 2011. Right in the middle of a championship run he spent a lot of time on his second job, agent to himself. He played JGR against Roush and Ford and won a big raise and a reported million dollar bonus to stay with Ford. I'm willing to bet that when it came time to re-sign Matt, there wasn't much money left. Roush low-balled their best driver, and he walked. Jack seemed shocked about the whole thing. Then Carl got to count his money as Matt won 7 races in the car he turned down.

Roush is a mess right now. Stenhouse just isn't performing, and Biffle is way past it. Roush will offer Carl the world to stay with them, and I don't see who else would match it.

I've wondered about Penske going back to a 3 car organization, but I don't see it happening now. Why upset the chemistry they have going now? They also seem to still be high on Ryan Blaney. If he picks it up in NW, he would probably be the 3rd Penske car. I think Penske will slowly displace Roush as the top Ford organization, and all the Ford teams will start to benefit from all that Penske engineering. We may even see Roush-Yates-Penske engines on the track in a couple of years.

Carl missed his chance back in 2011. Right in the middle of a championship run he spent a lot of time on his second job, agent to himself. He played JGR against Roush and Ford and won a big raise and a reported million dollar bonus to stay with Ford. I'm willing to bet that when it came time to re-sign Matt, there wasn't much money left. Roush low-balled their best driver, and he walked. Jack seemed shocked about the whole thing. Then Carl got to count his money as Matt won 7 races in the car he turned down.

Roush is a mess right now. Stenhouse just isn't performing, and Biffle is way past it. Roush will offer Carl the world to stay with them, and I don't see who else would match it.

IMO, you've nailed it.

Biffle is still one of the top wheelmen in the garage. Roush just isn't what it used to be

Interesting take.

I do think he would turn Hendrick down. In Chevy, Carl would be a smaller player. He is the face of Ford but that could change with Penske. It would be in Carl's best interest to hop on the Penske train. I do not see him in any other make. True about loyalty but Ford has proven to Carl that loyalty can be green.

Biffle is still one of the top wheelmen in the garage. Roush just isn't what it used to be

I'd say that Biffle is still in that select group of drivers but his marketability and age are bigger factors than is his ability.

people saying roush will just pay anything to keep carl, what if they just don't have the money. Remember even dale jr has had trouble getting a long term deal signed. In that case Rick has refused to discount the sponsorship and continues as far as I know to look for a long term deal to be signed. As marketable as a guy like carl is I still say sponsorship is never in the bag. I did some looking back on the particulars of kenseth's departure from roush. Its never been said exactly what happened the writing is on the wall based on the sponsorship ricky had last year. Kenseth was probably going to make around 7 million with base salary and winnings, if you put stenhouse in the car you could likely get away with paying him half that. That cuts back quite a bit on the money to run that car. If your them it was probably the only way you are able to run the 17 car.

Carl is a huge attraction for sponsors so I don't see lack of funding ever being an issue. At least not for the 99 team. But if Penske reaches out to Carl and offers him a ride, I could see that working out. Penske couldn't get sponsors for Hornish because Hornish sucks. They wouldn't have any trouble finding sponsorship for a third team if Carl was the driver.

No, Penske had sponsors for Hornish, but they sold it out from under him to support the 2. That is why all of Hornish's sponsors from last year on all running limited schedules on the 2 in NNS.

Please no Edwards to Penske. I like being able to cheer for Brad and Joey. No chance I'll be able to cheer for that fake smile Edwards.

Please no Edwards to Penske. I like being able to cheer for Brad and Joey. No chance I'll be able to cheer for that fake smile Edwards.
I am not a carl edwards fan BUT the guy didn't come from money to get there. he passed out business cards trying to drive anything he could. That means quite a bit in my book.

IIRC Roush is cheap. Read somewhere that he takes a bigger cut from the souvenir sales and a bigger share of the winnings from his drivers than the other owners .

I am not a carl edwards fan BUT the guy didn't come from money to get there. he passed out business cards trying to drive anything he could. That means quite a bit in my book.

He is also related to Ken Shrader but I don't know that he used that to any advantage it may offer.

I have a feeling Roush won't keep either Carl or Biffle. I wouldn't rule out a 4th Gibbs car either. Come May and June it sure will be interesting to see what happens.

IIRC Roush is cheap. Read somewhere that he takes a bigger cut from the souvenir sales and a bigger share of the winnings from his drivers than the other owners .
This is kinda true, if you look back at roush that have promoted from within for the most part. they did hire jmac as a free agent but thats been the only time I can think of. Promoting drivers from within has the advantage of not having to pay them as much money in the beginning. its kinda like drafting someone in other sports you lock them up for a certain length of time at substantially less money than veterans

Back
Top Bottom