Dollar General leaving NASCAR

Damn, hate to hear it. Their headquarters is not far from where I live and I know the corporate office just laid off a bunch of people, so there might be something going on there financially we don't know about.

If memory serves they are in Goodlettsville and you can see the signage from I65. I love Nashville and visit several times a year but too many Yankees are moving in, IMO.

IDK why DG got into Nascar to begin with but if it was for brand awareness they don't need it anymore as they opened up over 700 new stores last year and seem to be in even the smallest of towns.

But I wonder if the image of Kennseth power driving Logano into the wall at Martinsville might have factored into their decision to get out.

I personally do not think so or they would have done this earlier, before this season started. JMHO.
If they were going to another team then maybe yes.

If memory serves they are in Goodlettsville and you can see the signage from I65. I love Nashville and visit several times a year but too many Yankees are moving in, IMO.

IDK why DG got into Nascar to begin with but if it was for brand awareness they don't need it anymore as they opened up over 700 new stores last year and seem to be in even the smallest of towns.
Yeah..... you are right....... they moved there from a little town next to me called Scottsville KY. when the Cal Turner family sold the business a few years ago.

Not sure what the future holds but I think the sponsorship bubble inevitably has to bust as some point. And based on the cost it will be sooner than later imo.

I don't think it will be the end of the world for racing, but it will put some folks out of racing jobs. It will probably hurt the Charlotte /Concord area economy some too, but it is a big economy there and non racing employees will not feel to much.

Nascar and teams will eventually have to become more cost conscious. But I am not in the mood to blame anyone. I dont like Brian France or even respect him. But this is bigger than that. It has been a helluva of ride, a great party etc. But the astronomical cost will eventually meet a breaking point, even if the leadership had been flawless.

Thanks to Dollar General for sponsoring one of the better teams.

If such a deal included B2B contracts involving Toyota, it would be further proof that Toyota's concept of a "factory team" is deeper and more all-encompassing than the business model employed by Chevy and Ford. Cue Jack Roush with comments about "the dark side," while Rick, Richard, and Roger nod their heads in concerned silence.

Toyota and Mobile I have had a technical partnership for some time.

Can't tell if you are upset with Toyota or disappointed in Ford and Chevy. Ford and Chevy write checks to the big guns, and Toyota writes a check to TRD. TRD answers to Toyota USA just like Roush answers to Ford and Hendrick to Chevy. Toyota isn't outspending anybody--look at the car counts.

Jack Roush had better worry about himself. He has enough problems. The "Darkside" didn't cause any of them, and Hendrick has done just fine for himself as well. Childress hasn't won anything--even when Toyota was struggling, and Roger is just fine.

Toyota spent 9 years working to get a Championship, and in their tenth year, they are leading the pack according to some. If world domination was the goal, they sure take their time, don't they? Paranoia is back. Good sign for Toyota fans....guess we have arrived.

Toyota and Mobile I have had a technical partnership for some time.

Can't tell if you are upset with Toyota or disappointed in Ford and Chevy. Ford and Chevy write checks to the big guns, and Toyota writes a check to TRD. TRD answers to Toyota USA just like Roush answers to Ford and Hendrick to Chevy. Toyota isn't outspending anybody--look at the car counts.

Jack Roush had better worry about himself. He has enough problems. The "Darkside" didn't cause any of them, and Hendrick has done just fine for himself as well. Childress hasn't won anything--even when Toyota was struggling, and Roger is just fine.

Toyota spent 9 years working to get a Championship, and in their tenth year, they are leading the pack according to some. If world domination was the goal, they sure take their time, don't they? Paranoia is back. Good sign for Toyota fans....guess we have arrived.
I am going to say good sign for fans of Japanese cars as well, I for one am happy to see where Toyota is at , its taken them a long time to get to the top , and of course, that means they spent a lot of money doing it, Maybe this will get Chevy and Ford to dig a little a deeper in their pockets. Nothing wrong with factory back teams in my opinion.

I am going to say good sign for fans of Japanese cars as well, I for one am happy to see where Toyota is at , its taken them a long time to get to the top , and of course, that means they spent a lot of money doing it, Maybe this will get Chevy and Ford to dig a little a deeper in their pockets. Nothing wrong with factory back teams in my opinion.
I think Ford is starting to do some great things under the Ford Performance banner. The new Technical Support Center in Concord and luring SHR being examples of that.

I think Ford is starting to do some great things under the Ford Performance banner. The new Technical Support Center in Concord and luring SHR being examples of that.
Oh thank you, I forgot about the new Ford center , yeah, I agree, well, lets say it it does appear that Ford is kicking their support up a few notches.

I believe we'll see top tier cars without sponsors in the next few years.

I don't even know if this is possible but I'd love to see Honda get in Nascar. I have a Civic and love it to pieces. It's a damn good car.

I don't even know if this is possible but I'd love to see Honda get in Nascar. I have a Civic and love it to pieces. It's a damn good car.
Honda's drive train is great but the body tended to rust away years ago......maybe better now. Although racing I guess it don't matter. :)

Maybe this will get Chevy and Ford to dig a little a deeper in their pockets. Nothing wrong with factory back teams in my opinion.
Agree, with one caveat... possible departure...?

Business has been done one way for a long time in terms of dividing responsibilities (and costs) between the manufacturer and the teams. If Toyota redefines that dividing line, might it be possible that Chevy and/or Ford would reject following suit due to higher costs, and leave the sport? Things like the manufacturer taking on the cost of funding a pipeline stuffed with young talent? Or the manufacturer making B2B deals to secure sponsorship for a team? Etc, etc. [All speculation by me, probably wrong, I sure hope so.]

Agree with these examples. Also, I wonder who is footing the bills for Bubba Wallace in Xfinity? Ford might be? I hope so, would like to see Ford solidly behind him. (He needs to do better, now.)

I believe we'll see top tier cars without sponsors in the next few years.
Agree, with one caveat... possible departure...?

Business has been done one way for a long time in terms of dividing responsibilities (and costs) between the manufacturer and the teams. If Toyota redefines that dividing line, might it be possible that Chevy and/or Ford would reject following suit due to higher costs, and leave the sport? Things like the manufacturer taking on the cost of funding a pipeline stuffed with young talent? Or the manufacturer making B2B deals to secure sponsorship for a team? Etc, etc. [All speculation by me, probably wrong, I sure hope so.]
And you bring up a good point, of course, there is that chance with Ford and GM not be willing to spend what Toyota is spending on support, if that is the case, and I sure there is a breaking point for three of them. I cant comment on the second part, I have no idea how far the manufacturers involvement with the teams go , more so in the day to day stuff like sponsors, we all now that they do personal service stuff with drivers.

Add Nissan to that mix as well.
Well of course, that's just a given, I want Nissan more than Honda, I would love to see the new Maxima as a Cup car.

As much as I would love for that to happen,the complaining would get out hand if they were more Japanese makes in NASCAR than US makes, it would get bad.

Well of course, that's just a given, I want Nissan more than Honda, I would love to see the new Maxima as a Cup car.

As much as I would love for that to happen,the complaining would get out hand if they were more Japanese makes in NASCAR than US makes, it would get bad.
Yep. It still irks me that many NASCAR fans are upset about Toyota being involved in this sport even though they're practically made right here in the USA. Even if that wasn't the case, the races are still taking place in this country. I don't know what it is about us NASCAR fans, but for some reason we seem to hate anything foreign to us. I never hear NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL fans complain when a player or sponsor from another country joins those leagues.

No GTR?

Completely agree with this, and as a manufacturer based fan, love to see it.

Yep. It still irks me that many NASCAR fans are upset about Toyota being involved in this sport even though they're practically made right here in the USA. Even if that wasn't the case, the races are still taking place in this country. I don't know what it is about us NASCAR fans, but for some reason we seem to hate anything foreign to us. I never hear NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL fans complain when a player or sponsor from another country joins those leagues.
Not sure I can add anything to that , pretty spot on.
Its kind of funny though, and if you want to get technical , Camry is the American car and the Chevy SS is the import :laugh::laugh:

I don't know what it is about us NASCAR fans, but for some reason we seem to hate anything foreign to us. I never hear NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL fans complain when a player or sponsor from another country joins those leagues.
Took to long to editing my above post, so this is adding to it.

Car guys are very serious when it comes to that whole foreign vs domestic crap, I think a lot of the Japanese hate comes from a good portion of the older NASCAR fans I am guessing, . They grew up in a time when Japan was still the enemy if you will.

But what most of the guys dont understand , or refuse to understand or believe, the automotive world left the foreign vs domestic behind a long time ago, and we have been in a global automotive world long time.
This worth a look, not sure if its 100% accurate, but its an eye opener as to who is in bed with who, and who works with who.
http://www.automotivefamilytree.com/

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Dollar-General.aspx

CjJ5YNBWEAIkD3h.jpg
Is this because Matt didn't pit during the All Star Race? :cool:

Where I live there's a Dollar General Store just about everywhere you look. And their parking lots are packed. I think they're doing okay for themselves.

I go to Dollar General all the time. There's one right around the corner, so it's very convenient to go there for basic stuff.

The messaging ROI for today's NASCAR sponsorship is cents on the dollar. It's one of the toughest marketing sells on earth. Sponsors spending big money are doing so for different reasons than simply "reaching people." Most common being B to B inside the garage, B to B hospitality, or, in many cases, someone of authority within the company is a huge race fan. B to C as the main reason to get into the sport is dying, if not dead. Not to say B to C can't be a fairly big part of it....just that it's no longer the only part. Strict B to C marketing needs would get a much bigger ROI elsewhere. Like, much bigger.

Also, for what it's worth, this news is only news to the general public. It's been known inside the garage all season.
what effect has the crappy TV deal had on the teams ( or is it crappy) ?? are the owners happy about it? my understanding it that there is more TV money to split up but if you can't sell sponsors that is of little help. What is the consensus behind the doors about the more money vs less viewers approach that nascar has taken.

Not sure what the future holds but I think the sponsorship bubble inevitably has to bust as some point. And based on the cost it will be sooner than later imo.

I don't think it will be the end of the world for racing, but it will put some folks out of racing jobs. It will probably hurt the Charlotte /Concord area economy some too, but it is a big economy there and non racing employees will not feel to much.

Nascar and teams will eventually have to become more cost conscious. But I am not in the mood to blame anyone. I dont like Brian France or even respect him. But this is bigger than that. It has been a helluva of ride, a great party etc. But the astronomical cost will eventually meet a breaking point, even if the leadership had been flawless.

Thanks to Dollar General for sponsoring one of the better teams.

Brian, mistakenly, has tried to apply stick and ball formulas to Nascar so his next bright idea may be to try and implement some sort of spending cap. IDK how you could possibly monitor or enforce something like this but Brian is just dumb enough to attempt it. I agree that cost containment will have to happen sooner rather than later and I suspect it will start collectively with the owners. If a manufacturer like Toyota does not want anything to do with cost cutting it will likely open the door for a manufacturer to exit the series.

I agree with your thoughts concerning sponsorship and some teams may end up with 10 or more primary sponsors in some seasons and that is a recipe for failure as you are continually hunting money. If someone had told me 25 years ago that open wheel racing in America would be largely irrelevant in 2016 I would have laughed at them but the joke would have been on me.

Nascar has a lucrative TV contract and has produced some very good racing this year but is it enough? Is it enough to prevent Nascar from going the way of open wheel racing?

Brian, mistakenly, has tried to apply stick and ball formulas to Nascar so his next bright idea may be to try and implement some sort of spending cap. IDK how you could possibly monitor or enforce something like this but Brian is just dumb enough to attempt it. I agree that cost containment will have to happen sooner rather than later and I suspect it will start collectively with the owners. If a manufacturer like Toyota does not want anything to do with cost cutting it will likely open the door for a manufacturer to exit the series.

I agree with your thoughts concerning sponsorship and some teams may end up with 10 or more primary sponsors in some seasons and that is a recipe for failure as you are continually hunting money. If someone had told me 25 years ago that open wheel racing in America would be largely irrelevant in 2016 I would have laughed at them but the joke would have been on me.

Nascar has a lucrative TV contract and has produced some very good racing this year but is it enough? Is it enough to prevent Nascar from going the way of open wheel racing?
That sounds more like something that the RTA would come up with.

The way the video game industry is going GameStop will be dead in a 5-10 years. Console makers are pushing to sell their media more and more digitally. Physically media is on its way out. I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of consoles are digital only. Games will either me purchased and downloaded digitally, or will be played through cloud services.

Game Stop meet Blockbuster.

A salary cap across the entire team, not just the drivers, would certainly be effective at cutting costs, but it's just not politically possible. The other alternative is to dumb down the cars and mandate more stock parts.

That sounds more like something that the RTA would come up with.

It could well be as cost containment came to the NHL because the owners wanted cost certainty. Most teams have 2-3 highly paid players and a few more moderately compensated and then the drop off is huge as several fellas have to try and eke out a meager existence on a half million or so per season. Oh to have such problems!

The marketplace determines spending levels.

Nascar is like Les Habitants back when they got the pick of the litter from PQ and/or Sam Pollock was fleecing teams like the Oakland Seals and LA Kings. Nascar's power base has become more like society in general as the gap between the haves and have nots has increased so the chance of guys like Ricky Craven or Johnny Benson stealing a race win under normal circumstances grows more dim with each passing year. I am not saying it is a problem but it is quite predictable.

In the communist NFL where every team is on equal footing a team with 3 wins one year can potentially win 13 games the next year. I am not saying it is a good or bad system but it certainly keeps things interesting as fortunes come and go like the wind. There is no way a system like this could be implemented in auto racing but it would be interesting if it could.

Back
Top Bottom