Don't shoot the messenger

hmmmmm I for one am really eager to see what's going to happen

I just don't see Rick buying out Kasey to put Newman in the ride. It would just be stupid. Might as well let Kasey finish his contract. I can only see Rick buying Kasey out if he got his hands on a great up and comer like Larson or Blaney.

I just don't see Rick buying out Kasey to put Newman in the ride. It would just be stupid. Might as well let Kasey finish his contract. I can only see Rick buying Kasey out if he got his hands on a great up and comer like Larson or Blaney.

This. No way Newman's in the 5.

I think Allen was joking about rumor #2.

And maybe all of you are playing along and I'm the fool.

Allen, tell RCR they should send the 27 to Penske! I would love to see it. And see if you can get a photo of Paul smiling!

I got two rumor nuggets from Richmond...both from great sources...but I don't think they make sense when you combine the two:

1) Childress going to buy Mears out so he can put Ty in the 13.

2) Newman going to HMS & 5 car.

Heard those from different people, so do you see what I mean? If #2 is true, there would be no need for #1 since RCR would have a seat. *shrugs* If you ask me, I think #1 is most realistic. I know they tried that move in the past. Looks like RC is coming to the table with more $$$.
Isn't Mears there because he is close with his sponsor ? If Mears gets bought out , does the sponsor stay with the 13 ?

Yeah ... perfect time to dump Kahne. 10 races to go and finally finding some speed.For Newman. Please.

At least the Harvick rumor made sense.

No way Newman will be in the 5. Hendrick is probably the best owner in the business when it comes to marketing, and although Kasey isn't performing on the track he IS still a great corporate rep for sponsors and continues to sell a lot of merchandise. Newman doesn't have that Hendrick "it" factor.

Kahne will ride around through his current contract at which point Byron will be ready to take over the seat as a rising superstar. Hendrick doesn't need Newman just for a year or two, nor do they need CAT (which we know is signed longterm with RCR anyway).

Or I'm completely wrong and Rick hires Newman on, and Newman has a Mark Martin moment where he just sets sail with the 5 team late in his career and becomes the Rocketman once again like we all kinda secretly want. Who knows. I'm tuned in either way.

Isn't Mears there because he is close with his sponsor ? If Mears gets bought out , does the sponsor stay with the 13 ?
Mears isn't (necessarily) close with GEICO...there's a guy who "runs" the GEICO sponsorship who's close with GEICO. That guy has always liked Mears because Mears is safe - which means he keeps getting paid his cut without incident. He didn't want any ripples in his pond. For him, change is bad. But, from what I've heard, everyone else (including GEICO) has gotten a little antsy for a few waves. (He'll still be cut in to the deal.)

And what lead you to believe this?
The lack of changes. In fact the only thing changing at HMS ( besides Jeff leaving) is the size of the cheque from the sponsors. Actually the cars are not running as well either.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Jayski
Menard "pretty close" to announcing new deal with RCR UPDATE: Paul Menard is in his sixth season campaigning in the #27 Menard's Chevy. His sole Cup win with the organization came in the 2011 Brickyard 400. When asked about the status of his contract with RCR after finishing second in Saturday's Zippo 200 at the Glen, he said that they are "pretty close" to an extension. "We'll get to that in the next few weeks and make sure we let you guys know," he added.(Motorsport)(8-7-2016)
UPDATE: Roger Penske has sponsorship locked down for three of his IndyCar teams next season, with Menards signing on for 10 races with Simon Pagenaud to drive the bright yellow colors of the home improvement store. The announcement Saturday returns John Menard to a high-profile role in IndyCar after a long absence. The billionaire was a team owner and sponsor in the series but walked away after the 2004 season to back his son, Paul, in NASCAR. Menard made a slow return to Indy this year as a sponsor for Pagenaud in the 100th Indianapolis 500, and that deal grew to cover five races. Menard says he and Paul Menard are signed with Richard Childress Racing in NASCAR through 2017, so moving his son to Penske's organization is not currently being discussed.(Associated Press/ESPN.com)(9-18-2016)

@Allenbaba any idea of what might be happening with Harry Scott's teams? Any clue what will happen to the 15/51 with them losing their driver and sponsors?

@Allenbaba any idea of what might be happening with Harry Scott's teams? Any clue what will happen to the 15/51 with them losing their driver and sponsors?
It looks almost to me like the hscott teams pocketed the increased sponsorship money they got this year and didn't spend much on the car. there is simply no way a car that is sponsored that well should be running that bad when they are using HMS chassis and engines. at this point a BK racing car is probably a better ride to be in.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Jayski
Menard "pretty close" to announcing new deal with RCR UPDATE: Paul Menard is in his sixth season campaigning in the #27 Menard's Chevy. His sole Cup win with the organization came in the 2011 Brickyard 400. When asked about the status of his contract with RCR after finishing second in Saturday's Zippo 200 at the Glen, he said that they are "pretty close" to an extension. "We'll get to that in the next few weeks and make sure we let you guys know," he added.(Motorsport)(8-7-2016)
UPDATE: Roger Penske has sponsorship locked down for three of his IndyCar teams next season, with Menards signing on for 10 races with Simon Pagenaud to drive the bright yellow colors of the home improvement store. The announcement Saturday returns John Menard to a high-profile role in IndyCar after a long absence. The billionaire was a team owner and sponsor in the series but walked away after the 2004 season to back his son, Paul, in NASCAR. Menard made a slow return to Indy this year as a sponsor for Pagenaud in the 100th Indianapolis 500, and that deal grew to cover five races. Menard says he and Paul Menard are signed with Richard Childress Racing in NASCAR through 2017, so moving his son to Penske's organization is not currently being discussed.(Associated Press/ESPN.com)(9-18-2016)

Menard & Penske are still talking about NASCAR, and Penske is still researching what it would take to operate a 3rd car. Maybe 2018, I dunno. But they're definitely not done talking.

• I could be wrong, but there might be more information when things are announced from sources in the know....
  • Like Teams. ...

I don't see him going back to RPM as they didn't part on the best of terms, would like to see what he could do at RCR though.

I wouldn't go to RCR if I was Khane. I'm sure he's tired of being an afterthought in the Hendrick's garage, so why would he go to RCR and once again be an afterthought?

And Great Clips is also signed through 2018. Article here. I guess you never say "never" in Nascar, but I can't see Ryan Newman as a Great Clips poster boy. Now Charlie Spencer, that is another matter entirely...:D
Not likely; my wife cuts my hair. I don't have to tip her, and I can get away with groping her occasionally. Much better than any racing contract. :)

Menard & Penske are still talking about NASCAR, and Penske is still researching what it would take to operate a 3rd car. Maybe 2018, I dunno. But they're definitely not done talking.

I'm reading between the lines here...but is it safe to assume that Penske is very interested in the Menards sponsorship but perhaps not Paul Menard as a driver? Or is it a package deal no matter what?

I'm reading between the lines here...but is it safe to assume that Penske is very interested in the Menards sponsorship but perhaps not Paul Menard as a driver? Or is it a package deal no matter what?

If I'm Roger Penske, this is my thinking. It would be a shame to pass on Blaney to take in Paul Menard.

Back
Top Bottom