DW to NASCAR: Fix schedule, leave the cars alone, use 'common sense'

biggest idiots must be fox / nbc .....w/ that idiotic 10 yr $ 8.2 billion deal ???
if only they knew what you do !
I think this is going to be a make or break TV deal for NASCAR. Despite the steadily declining TV ratings over the past decade, NASCAR had the good fortune of having two fledgeling sports networks come along that needed programming right around the time NASCAR's TV contracts were up for renewal. As a result, Fox and NBC overpaid IMO. I think the fact that ESPN and TNT tried to opt out early is telling of how they're doing with NASCAR financially.

If Fox and NBC lose their asses on this TV deal, which is a real possibility, my fear is that nobody will touch NASCAR with a 10 foot pole when the TV contracts come around again in the early 2020's.

I think this is going to be a make or break TV deal for NASCAR. Despite the steadily declining TV ratings over the past decade, NASCAR had the good fortune of having two fledgeling sports networks come along that needed programming right around the time NASCAR's TV contracts were up for renewal. As a result, Fox and NBC overpaid IMO. I think the fact that ESPN and TNT tried to opt out early is telling of how they're doing with NASCAR financially.

If Fox and NBC lose their asses on this TV deal, which is a real possibility, my fear is that nobody will touch NASCAR with a 10 foot pole when the TV contracts come around again in the early 2020's.

I'm looking at the other side of the deal with dread. Networks, trying to recoup their investments, flood the race with commercials further alienating potential fans and long timers. Hope it doesn't come to that.

If FOX and NBC's investment flops in the early 2020s, they'd probably still renew but pay a dramatically lower rate.

With the rise of Netflix, WWE Network, Hulu Plus and other streaming apps though, who knows what the TV landscape will look like in 6 years. NASCAR's contract might expire just as some major streaming service is looking for fresh content and they get lucky again.

I'm looking at the other side of the deal with dread. Networks, trying to recoup their investments, flood the race with commercials further alienating potential fans and long timers. Hope it doesn't come to that.
It's certainly going to take a fair amount of commercials to recoup the investment. I know we won't see a reduction in commercials, I just hope there's not too much of an increase.

My fear is that the auto manufactures or some other savvy money men can swoop in and buy the team owners off with a more economical pitch and we'd lose NASCAR.

My fear is that the auto manufactures or some other savvy money men can swoop in and buy the team owners off with a more economical pitch and we'd lose NASCAR.
What would they do with it? NASCAR is good for the auto manufacturers.

What would they do with it? NASCAR is good for the auto manufacturers.

IDK, it's all just speculation. No one is talking and there is plenty at stake. If the race teams only want more bargaining power with hotels, insurance and travel I don't see why NASCAR should even care.

I see the teams busting butt to get $$$ to keep their teams afloat and brain and company sitting on their ass collecting the lions share of the TV money. Yes I do realize nascar has big expenses too.

If NBC and Fox see they're losing their ass I wonder if they can say screw this take the money remaining we owe you and we're done. Then start covering something else.

FOX is already coming out ahead. Their investment in NASCAR got cable companies to scramble to pick up FOX Sports 2 and to move FOX Sports 1 to a basic package. They'll recoup their costs in carriage fees down the road.

NBC had no choice but to get NASCAR to get NBCSN to be more prominent. Now that they have something that more than 20 people will watch, they too can play the carriage fees game.

Reactions: sky
. Their investment in NASCAR got cable companies to scramble to pick up FOX Sports 2 and to move FOX Sports 1 to a basic package. .

Neither Cox, my old cable provider, or Verizon Fios, my new provider, have FS1 in their basic package lineup. You can of course upgrade to a higher tier for a fee.

If FOX and NBC's investment flops in the early 2020s, they'd probably still renew but pay a dramatically lower rate.

With the rise of Netflix, WWE Network, Hulu Plus and other streaming apps though, who knows what the TV landscape will look like in 6 years. NASCAR's contract might expire just as some major streaming service is looking for fresh content and they get lucky again.

Except the WWE Network, the most relevant to NASCAR (in that it is sports programming on not just TV and movies and their viewerships have similar numbers) is losing money.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wwe-network-makes-new-push-for-subscribers-2014-7

another indicator of a soft economy. Very few companies are doing that great. Stick n ball has nothing to crow about either. So what. Let's race.

In recent days there's been some attention paid to the fact that NFL attendance numbers are the lowest they've been since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002. That year, 16,883,310 attended a total of 256 games. In 2011, 16,562,706 fans attended the same number of games. Average attendance at each game was 64,698 which is the lowest average since 2002. Are we seeing real evidence that the NFL has peaked in popularity, or are there other reasons for why these numbers have dropped?

another indicator of a soft economy. Very few companies are doing that great. Stick n ball has nothing to crow about either. So what. Let's race.

In recent days there's been some attention paid to the fact that NFL attendance numbers are the lowest they've been since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002. That year, 16,883,310 attended a total of 256 games. In 2011, 16,562,706 fans attended the same number of games. Average attendance at each game was 64,698 which is the lowest average since 2002. Are we seeing real evidence that the NFL has peaked in popularity, or are there other reasons for why these numbers have dropped?

This is the important detail:
Despite unprecedented growth of TV audiences

TV will always be more important than on-site attendance, and in 2013 viewership for all five NFL broadcast partners increased.

we can play this stupid game all day long, not going to change a thing
College football bowl television viewership declined 2 percent this season, marking the third time in four years total viewers were down, according to an AL.com analysis of Nielsen Media Research data.

we can play this stupid game all day long, not going to change a thing
College football bowl television viewership declined 2 percent this season, marking the third time in four years total viewers were down, according to an AL.com analysis of Nielsen Media Research data.
Because they keep adding a crappy game between two crappy teams from two crappy conferences in a crappy locale every year. There's something like forty bowl games this year. They've oversaturated the schedule; no one is going to watch UNLV-North Texas or Arkansas State-Ball State and they drag down the average ratings. The games that matter (BCS bowls) had their highest viewership in four years.

i think everybody wants the cars to quit being changed. i myself don't want a shorter schedule, can rearrange as needed. cut back on practices, 1 session should be enough. drivers should only be needed for 2 days...first day practice and qualify...2nd day race.(weather permitted)

The elaborate version is that the author thinks he's some sort of authority in NASCAR racing and I've had to kill a couple of his stories when I was his editor.
Popularseed is unreliable because ONE author you dont see eye to eye with? Ok.

DW is a 3 time NASCAR racing champion. He knows more about the sport than anyone on this forum combined & he certainly has 10x more authority than you.

PopularSpeed itself IS reliable. Perhaps you missed that part of the ******* post you ******* quoted, fool.
Noooo I didnt miss it. Go on
image.jpg

Well that was funny...
Myrtle Beach Speedway is working to get a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series date by removing a thousand grandstands. :rolleyes:
I don't think removing grandstands is smart. If that race is at night in the summer it'll fill out. It's a nice tourist destination as well as a historic southern track near NASCAR oriented markets... It'll especially be good if they run heat races like Eldora.

I was hoping common sense would prevail in the dispute between the RTA and NASCAR, after reading the BF article I now have my doubts. Then to top it off, SHR gives a breakdown analysis for the week of racing expenditures and blows this thing wide open. The France' gravy train is steaming out of control towards the end of the line and the brakeman just bailed.

Back
Top Bottom