Ever Wonder Why

muggle not

Team Owner
Ever wonder why they have been making so many cookie-cutter tracks instead of more short tracks like Bristol or Richmond. It boggles my mind. It would also be nice to see 1 or 2 more road tracks on the schedule. If they would build a road track in Canada or do some work on the Mosport track and run a race there you would have to beat the fans off with a stick, there would be so many fans.

Well, you have to "beat the fans off with a stick" at the cookie cutters...that's why they build them. The fans come...

Originally posted by TonyB@Oct 29 2003, 10:28 PM
Well, you have to "beat the fans off with a stick" at the cookie cutters...that's why they build them. The fans come...
As far as cookie cutters do go...they don't fill Atlanta & Lowe's, which most of the new tracks are based off of. (TMS, Vegas, KC & Chi). They do seem to fill Richmond and Bristol though! ;)

as far as kansas goes it is sold out every year cup,busch and CTS, Even qualifying brings out 30,000 plus.

Originally posted by steveluvs3@Oct 29 2003, 10:44 PM
as far as kansas goes it is sold out every year cup,busch and CTS, Even qualifying brings out 30,000 plus.
So is TMS & Sh*t-cago...but they still have a hard time selling out the two tracks they are modeled after...Atlanta & Lowe's. One would think it's because one Bristol race & both Richmond races are night races...but all three Lowe's races are at night now too.

Lowes is a great track.. good racing, nice place to watch a race!

Maybe because the 1.5 mile tracks can be used for a variety of series? These places cust $$$$$ to build. Filling the grandstands many times a year is the only way to ever make your money back.

I can't imagine the IRL running at Bristol. Can you?

Originally posted by zevious@Oct 29 2003, 09:31 PM
Maybe because the 1.5 mile tracks can be used for a variety of series? These places cust $$$$$ to build. Filling the grandstands many times a year is the only way to ever make your money back.

Oh, I can imagine. :blink: Don't think its realistic, but I can only imagine... :)

I seem to recall that the IRL did run at Richmond. Even the drivers are getting tired of running at the cookie-cutter tracks and have stated that they hope any future tracks are short tracks. Besides, where does the best racing occur. Bristol is one of the most popular race and the TV vans love it.

Seems just pondering it for a moment or two that trying to conclude that the "best racing" occurs at a track based on fan attendence is somewhat misguided. What track sells out every race every time twice a year? A one-mile track up in the Northeast for one, called New Hampshire International Speedway. Near as I can tell from reading and listening the general consensus is that racing there is pretty sucky.

Non "cookie-cutter" tracks that tend to have good racing, at least I think they do, like Rockingham and Darlington can't sell out a race to save their souls. Darlington did finally manage to get another sell out when fans suddenly woke up and realized that the Southern 500 (by any name) would no longer be run on Labor Day weekend. Rockingham fans couldn't even muster the gumption to sell the place out when everybody knows the second race is history.

California sells out regularly, as do Las Vegas, Chicago, Kansas probably so e others.

The point being what so many label as "boring" racetracks sell out as frequently or more frequently than those highly exciting tracks which are not "cookie cutters". The conclusion that fan attendence relates to the racing is not valid. May have something to do with it, may not.

Nor, IMO, is the conclusion that a "cookie cutter" is destined to provide poor racing. It doesn't work for other track designs, why would it work that way for 1.5 milers? Examples............Great racing at some one milers like Rockingham and Dover, not so great at say New Hamphire. All one mile tracks.

To go one step further, does anyone really believe that the racing at say Texas and Atlanta is like the racing at say Chicago and Kansas? Or the racing at Charlotte like the racing at Las Vegas or California? Is the racing at Indianapolis better or worse??? Certainly no cooke cutter that. How about Pocono?

Sometimes it is and sometimes it ain't good racing, using the term as best I can understad it, at any track of any size or configuration. Does the field tend to stay bunched up at place liek Bristol and Martinsville and Rochmond??? Yep. But you could accomplish the same thing anywhere by throwing a caution flag every 70 miles or so. Are bunches of wadded up cars, broken parts, and boiling tempers required for good racing?

I'm glad the new track being built near me (about 15 minutes away :D ) is looking like they are going for something a bit different. the Houston Superspeedway will be a 1.36 mile oval with a different radius for turns 1/2 and turns 3/4. Plus, what I think is the coolest part, an elevated backstretch. Should make the entire track easier to see.

Take a look!

Track Size Oval: 1.367 mile (suitable of all types of racing)

Width: 68’ Front stretch

75’ turns 1&2, backstretch, and turns 3&4

Turns: turns 1&2 400’ Radius

Turns 3&4 600’ Radius

Banking: -degree banking –

Front stretch 6 degrees

Turns 1&2 17 degrees

Backstretch 4.5 degrees

Turns 3&4 14.7 degrees

Front Stretch: 2,463.00 feet long

Back Stretch: 2,103.61 feet long

Pit Road: 43 pit stalls in stock car configuration

34 pit stalls in open wheel configuration

Hey TeamHendrick,
Looks like you are form my kneck fo the woods. I'm over on the west side of Houston near Katy.

I think with the new Houston track, they specifically wanted to not be called "cookie-cutter", so they designed some differences but still made sure they were big enough and constructed right to hold IRL races. They have no promises or even positive indications from NASCAR that they will hold any races at the track ever.

I can't wait for them to finish. Hope they hold an open house at some point before the first race.

Originally posted by TonyB@Oct 30 2003, 10:35 AM
Hey TeamHendrick,
Looks like you are form my kneck fo the woods. I'm over on the west side of Houston near Katy.

I think with the new Houston track, they specifically wanted to not be called "cookie-cutter", so they designed some differences but still made sure they were big enough and constructed right to hold IRL races. They have no promises or even positive indications from NASCAR that they will hold any races at the track ever.

I can't wait for them to finish. Hope they hold an open house at some point before the first race.
Yeah, I'm in Pearland. From what I heard they do have interest from IRL/Busch/Truck but not Winston Cup. I'm hoping with their desire to expand their reach that they will eventually land one. I've been out to the sight a couple of times...it's soooo close...I can't wait. I'm already on their PSL/Season Ticket waiting list.

Originally posted by TeamHendrick+Oct 30 2003, 11:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TeamHendrick @ Oct 30 2003, 11:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TonyB@Oct 30 2003, 10:35 AM
Hey TeamHendrick,

Yeah, I'm in Pearland. From what I heard they do have interest from IRL/Busch/Truck but not Winston Cup. I'm hoping with their desire to expand their reach that they will eventually land one. I've been out to the sight a couple of times...it's soooo close...I can't wait. I'm already on their PSL/Season Ticket waiting list. [/b][/quote]
Will they have a road track within the complex or is it going to be strictly oval.

btw, it sounds like they are building a good track. Hope they get a Busch race.

Originally posted by TeamHendrick@Oct 30 2003, 11:17 AM
I'm glad the new track being built near me (about 15 minutes away :D ) is looking like they are going for something a bit different. the Houston Superspeedway will be a 1.36 mile oval with a different radius for turns 1/2 and turns 3/4. Plus, what I think is the coolest part, an elevated backstretch. Should make the entire track easier to see.

Take a look!

Track Size Oval: 1.367 mile (suitable of all types of racing)

Width: 68’ Front stretch

75’ turns 1&2, backstretch, and turns 3&4

Turns: turns 1&2 400’ Radius

Turns 3&4 600’ Radius

Banking: -degree banking –

Front stretch 6 degrees

Turns 1&2 17 degrees

Backstretch 4.5 degrees

Turns 3&4 14.7 degrees

Front Stretch: 2,463.00 feet long

Back Stretch: 2,103.61 feet long

Pit Road: 43 pit stalls in stock car configuration

34 pit stalls in open wheel configuration
Thats a funky looking track.

Originally posted by whiteflaglap@Oct 30 2003, 11:51 AM
They do not figure the money is in the short track.
Actually, the big money is in the TV contract. Nascar is just trying to squeeze every nickel out of the tracks by going to the cookie-cutters and high population areas.. When they drop Pocono and go to New York city I may look for another form of racing. :(

Originally posted by muggle not+Oct 30 2003, 11:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (muggle not @ Oct 30 2003, 11:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -TeamHendrick@Oct 30 2003, 11:00 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--TonyB
@Oct 30 2003, 10:35 AM
Hey TeamHendrick,

Yeah, I'm in Pearland. From what I heard they do have interest from IRL/Busch/Truck but not Winston Cup. I'm hoping with their desire to expand their reach that they will eventually land one. I've been out to the sight a couple of times...it's soooo close...I can't wait. I'm already on their PSL/Season Ticket waiting list.
Will they have a road track within the complex or is it going to be strictly oval.

btw, it sounds like they are building a good track. Hope they get a Busch race. [/b][/quote]
Yes they plan on having a Road course. It was at one point intergrated, but I'm not sure where they are going with it now. If you look at the link I provided it seems it will be next to the track now.

Originally posted by slick-nick@Oct 29 2003, 10:55 PM
Lowes is a great track.. good racing, nice place to watch a race!
I agree & the race at Atlanta I saw was just as entertaining.

Atlanta & Lowe's are higher banked than KC & Chicagoland and also have more grooves for the stock cars to run in. That's why the racing is better at those two. The best races by far at Chicagoland have been the IRL races.

I can give some reasons why I think Rockingham didn't sell out. Proximity to Lowe's and Darlington. I guess there isn't a lot of accommodations available in that area. Knowing a few who live down there, I also know they wait on the weather before buying tickets. Something up north we haven't had the luxury of doing. (trying to answer some of HS' questions here...:D)

Originally posted by zevious@Oct 30 2003, 12:31 AM

I can see wheels flyin everywhere :p

They should add more road courses. That's where the real test of the drivers begins! :p

I'd kinda like for nascar to add Road Atlanta and drop Sonoma.

Top road tracks are :

Laguna Seca
Road America
Mosport
Virginia Intl Raceway
Watkins Glen

Back
Top Bottom