Every country music song was exactly the same in 2013

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
I thought it was just me.

Entertainment Weekly's Grady Smith put this video together to serve as proof that every single mainstream country music song this year was a party song about trucks, girls and beer.

Nashville has syndicated itself into staledom for sure. It would kind of be like Nascar implementing a generic car, and enforcing a generic driver behavior template. In both cases individualism is supposedly celebrated while strictly being governed.

One of these could be made for! Rap - drugs, sex, murder, degrading women.

One of these could be made for! Rap - drugs, sex, murder, degrading women.
That was more the 90's style of hip-hop. These days it's all about bragging how much money you have and poppin' bottles in the club. OK, I guess the sex part is still in there. ;)

Yep. Every "hip hop" song and video is exactly the same. Bragging about your money while half naked chicks dance around.

Yep. Every "hip hop" song and video is exactly the same. Bragging about your money while half naked chicks dance around.

I hate it so bad that even half naked chicks aint worth it, and that's pretty bad.

Thats the way of a lot of culture. In the 60s the hippies were non conformist long enough for most boys to grow their own mop heads. Then it was transformed to the norm.

So it safe to say that commerce, money etc has a love hate relationship with the music buisness. When a song strikes Gold we are cursed with the copycats or almost the equally bad endless repetition of the same song.

I would rather just listen to Steve Earle, Dwight Yokum, Kellie Willis, Kathleen Edwards, Kasey Chambers some old Skynard, ACDC etc. At least it isnt the dime a dozen cowboy hats and truck gig.

I have enjoyed a few Blake Shelton concerts though, he is a hoot in person. I really dont believe he cares about fitting anybody's template.

Country music has ALWAYS been about party songs, trucks, girls and beer.
And there ain't a damn thing wrong with that! That describes my youth. These days, you can throw in a good woman by my side, a son & daughter I love, and a dog. Then I am pretty well covered. I live in the country and I listen to country. #BIGTHUMBSUP!

And there ain't a damn thing wrong with that! That describes my youth. These days, you can throw in a good woman by my side, a son & daughter I love, and a dog. Then I am pretty well covered. I live in the country and I listen to country. #BIGTHUMBSUP!
Damn Tootin, but no dog.

Speaking of music(and I use that term VERY loosely in this case) Justin Bieber says he's retiring.

gif-happy-dance.gif

The old David Allen Coe song went...
"I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison, and I went to pick her up in the rain. But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck, she got run over by a damned old train", which covered all of the main Country topics of that era.

If they ever remade that song to address today's main Country topics, it might go like this:
"I said hey girl, get in my truck and we'll go down to the river and drink beer."

Doesn't seem quite as poetic....

There isn't much difference between country music and rap music now.
Looking at the last line from my last post, substitute a Bentley for the truck, the club for the river, and some kind of expensive champagne for the beer, and you've pretty much instantly converted a modern country song into a rap song.

Looking at the last line from my last post, substitute a Bentley for the truck, the club for the river, and some kind of expensive champagne for the beer, and you've pretty much instantly converted a modern country song into a rap song.

You don't even have to go that far.

Country music used to have meaning. Now it's all about picking up "Girl" in your pickup truck, going to a party, drinking "the good stuff" and going to the river. Rap music is all about Cadillacs and clubs.

Oh, can't leave out how just about every country song performed about a woman was about how they're a country girl who likes to party, drink beer and get dirty. Because that's so original. :rolleyes:

Oh, can't leave out how just about every country song performed about a woman was about how they're a country girl who likes to party, drink beer and get dirty. Because that's so original. :rolleyes:

That's just plain dumb.

Wow, that's just awful. And that accent she uses in her songs is fake. She doesn't talk anything like that in interviews.

Pandora, the best invention since the radio. I have listened to it for quiet a while now . My wife and I tuned to what used to be my favorite FM country radio station recently and after about 30 mins of listening we turned and looked at other and said " all the songs sound exactly alike". It seems like country music has gone to the dogs. Maybe they should write a song about that.

Country music pretty much died in early 1990's. Maybe the songs were about drinking, cheating, trucks and gals, but they were sung with feeling and in original speech. Not these wannabes that try to sing with a southern accent. Singers , songwriters like Merle Haggard, George Jones, and who could not reflect on Hank Williams singing "Your Cheatin' Heart," and fail to hear the feeling the man put into the song.
Today's country music is crap! Even some of the music they play and call "classic" isn't really classic country. We need more like Bob Wills, Hank Thompson, an early RandyTravis (his recent stuff seems "forced") Hank Snow, and of course, Willie Nelson and the great Waylon Jennings. Some of the real twangers and gut wrenching songs they wrote, played and sang. Today, A popular country singer is Tug McGraw and if you take away the accruements, the guy can't sing worth a lick. JMO, YMV. All in all, there is nothing like Texas swing and fiddle tunes. Then there is this: No pickup truck or nothin' about Momma, but you'll get the rest.

Back
Top Bottom