Fan stress?

97forever

Team Owner
It may sound ridiculous on the surface but recent posts about Tony Stewart and then Dale Jr. have me questioning what seems to be a weird new phenomenon : Fan stress.

That would be a fan of any certain driver being put in the awkward position of having to make excuses for/ being embarrased by actions of 'their' favorite driver.

To be blunt, it's sad when if this is the case and so the subject is pretty much dodged and avoided. Trust me---as a pretty solid Busch fan it was 'tough' on the internet and even in certain environments in the real world after the whole Spencer/Busch flap last year. ;)

It kind of makes one sit back and clear their head and realize wrong is wrong if it is 'your' driver or if it is 'mine'. I try to keep open and factual now-----but rising above bias where your favorite is concerned can be tough.

So as this season drags on we all need to keep in mind that every driver is someones favorite. We expect the drivers to keep composed after participating in a race----and a lot of us can't even keep composed after watching a race. Notice the inflammatory posts and threads on here directly after a race? Sure---it keeps it fun in my opinion, but on the other hand fun should never come at the expense of hurt feelings. I know I am guilty of explosive reactions myself and that can be cool to read but let's all agree to keep a bit of civility about us regardless.

Opinions on this, guys?

I can go along with that. And I'm sure you know from a couple years ago, things can get my dander up too! :D But not nearly so much as when someone attacks me (or my wife.........cutiepie24, for those who don't know). I can deal with the Jr bashing........but I must admit it does, over time, get real tiresome. I generally try not to bash any driver. That's not to say I won't state an opinion on a driver........especially if he happened to have done something stupid or questionable (and, that does includes my favorite). I'm here for fun........I got banned by Paul two years ago because that fun became un-fun. If this forum starts in that direction again for me, then I'll quietly leave. I think anyone who knows me, knows I do not bash (driver or members).........but I do get hot under the collar once in a while. :D

Let's just have fun, here!!! :cheers: :cheers:

As fans we will do whatever we can do come up with an excuse for our drivers mistakes. I admit by guilt that I have caught myself doing it on more then one occassion. This goes the other way as well. If you dislike a driver you will do whatever you can to make what goes wrong around them there fault. Every wreck last Sunday I caught myself saying Damn you Sauter!!!!! In addition my wife kept on asking me why in the hell was it Sauters fault the Kansas Jayhawks lost to Georgia Tech Sunday.

Speaking of Sauter did he for the most part keep his nose clean this past weekend? Suprising eh?

"As fans we will do whatever we can do come up with an excuse for our drivers mistakes. I admit by guilt that I have caught myself doing it on more then one occassion. This goes the other way as well. If you dislike a driver you will do whatever you can to make what goes wrong around them there fault. Every wreck last Sunday I caught myself saying Damn you Sauter!!!!! In addition my wife kept on asking me why in the hell was it Sauters fault the Kansas Jayhawks lost to Georgia Tech Sunday. "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It probably was though!!! :cheers:

Jeff Gordon has never made a mistake.......has he?
357.gif
kuku.gif

He only did it again this year at Bristol........only it was leaving his pit instead of entering his pit during a green flag pit cycle!! :D

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 30 2004, 09:36 PM
He only did it again this year at Bristol........only it was leaving his pit instead of entering his pit during a green flag pit cycle!! :D
But that was Rusty's fault, I heard him telling Jeff to remember you had to follow pit road ALL the way aroung. :lol: LOL

Very true 97.

I remember I was so wired before if anyone spun Robby out or anything like that that I would go in full bash mode. :p I had to quickly get outta that... :lol:

I dont bash drivers anymore, I bash Nascar. :lol:

:lol: :lol: That seems to be the smarter course for me too! :lol: Now if I can only control my anti-Harvick streak---I have about left Jeff and Junior alone. :lol: :lol:

Ah, I'm starting to work on Kenseth, I hate Biffle, I might hate Busch because he didnt sign autographs here in LV his own hometown for crying out loud! Generally, unless you're Dale Jarrett or Elliott Sadler , if you drive a Ford.... I dont like you.

Except for Toby Keith, yeah, he's just fine in my book

I like to think that I can be objective no matter which driver it comes to. I'm a fan of racing but do have favorite drivers - I must admit. But if they do something stupid I don't try to defend them. Lord knows, THEY don't give a crap about me, right? All I ask is that the rules apply equally to all drivers and don't insult me - HELTON - by making same lame ass excuse when they don't. As a fan, I personally find his stand-iffishness and attitude offensive.

Is there any fan out there who has a job that allows them to act the way some of these drivers act and not only get away with it, but have their boss actually defend their actions?

I can handle people talking about Jr without getting mad, actually I sit back and laugh as I read alot of the things that are put in print. But what really gets me angry is when people say "all the Jr fans" when they really don't know me or know what I'm about. I wish people would quit putting us all together in one big group. I have heard people say (on this board too) Jr fans are the rudest, Jr. fans this, Jr fans that. Well after attending races for fourteen years I have dealt with rude Rusty fans, rude Elliott fans, rude Gordon fans and so on and so on but I have never said that Rusty fans are rude because they all are not and I am smart enough to know that. If you ever met me at a race, I'll have a Jr shirt and hat on and I will offer you a cold beer and a hamburger and we will have a large time. :cheers:

i really don't know why i even watch or go to races anymore, it has not been the same for me since 02/18/01 and i really can't find anyone to get excited over. Sure it's OK when jr. or harvick win or do good (guess that's just leftover loyalty to DE) but it just really ain't that much fun anymore. and if you figure in the BS we have to but up with the fox crew sometimes it makes me want to walk away for good.

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 31 2004, 09:33 AM
Oh sure...thats what all you Junior fans say. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
<_< :mellow: <_< you got my point huh?

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 31 2004, 10:38 AM
Oh yeah, old buddy. :p...Now sit down and relax, you are suffering from a bad case of Fan Stress.
uh yeah, good idea....................think I'll have a cold beer. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom