Future issue at JGR

MRM

Team Owner
I see an issue coming up at JGR in a couple of years, if not sooner. And that is where to put Erik Jones. This kid is the real deal and has a bright future. So when he's ready for Cup, where is he going to go? Kenseth's seat seems the most logical because of his age. The decision might be made easier if Kenseth stays in the funk that he's in. Busch isn't going anywhere. That also leaves Hamlin and Edwards. Hamlin always seems to be on the verge of a monster season, but always has weird things happen. Edwards just got there and seems to have his footing now. One thought is either Jones or a current JGR driver go to a second Furniture Row ride, but the charter issue comes into play there. Going to be an interesting 12-18 months at JGR.

Having him run at FRR until a seat opens up would make sense. I also wouldn't be totally shocked if Denny left. I feel like he may not like being 3rd-4th fiddle.JMO
I can see that. Denny to Furniture Row would also make sense in a year or two.

Kenseth is about done. I think maybe Truex goes to HMS and then Jones to FRR until he can take over for Kenseth. I don't think Denny is going anywhere and possible not Kahne. Also I think Truex is content with being at FRR and likes it being a one car team. I only bring up Hendrick because he's best buds with Jr and drove for Jr before. I am not sure if he would want to go back in Chevy, it's just a scenario I went through in my head

Some funk....

... The decision might be made easier if Kenseth stays in the funk that he's in. ...
He came out of that funk last week. This week was just confirmation.

Not according to him, didnt he just say within the past few months that he is not ready to retire yet.
The guy's made the Chase every year but one. He doesn't have the physical problems that Gordon has. He's had speed all season.

He'll re-up for another 3 when this contract is up. That'll carry him to around 2019 or '20, and then maybe we'll talk seriously about his leaving. Until then, my boy ain't going anywhere except the third round of the Chase, at least.

Kenseth is about done. I think maybe Truex goes to HMS and then Jones to FRR until he can take over for Kenseth. I don't think Denny is going anywhere and possible not Kahne. Also I think Truex is content with being at FRR and likes it being a one car team. I only bring up Hendrick because he's best buds with Jr and drove for Jr before. I am not sure if he would want to go back in Chevy, it's just a scenario I went through in my head
Kenseth is done? Really.

My address is: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500. :owquitit: :p
I occasionally wonder how motorsports would benefit from having a serious racing fan in the world's most famous government subsidized housing project. Somebody who would take his weekly fantasy team as seriously as the current occupant does his NCAA bracket.

Nothing in the above is intended as commentary on the current or previous administrations.

What I see happening is Furniture Row picking Erik up until a spot at JGR is open (when Matt retires, I guess). Just depends if that team can handle 2 cars (assuming Truex stays there)

Toyota's done a great job getting drivers like Erik Jones, Christopher Bell and William Byron. I don't see all three going to Gibbs, unless Kenseth and Edwards retire and Hamlin gets ousted.

Childress has Brandon Jones and Kate Dallenbach in their development program. And Ganassi has Brennan Poole in development. Aside from that, I'm not seeing anyone making bold moves.

If Cup teams don't make moves to bring Jones, Bell or Byron on board, Gibbs will dominate for another decade.

Toyota's done a great job getting drivers like Erik Jones, Christopher Bell and William Byron. I don't see all three going to Gibbs, unless Kenseth and Edwards retire and Hamlin gets ousted.

Childress has Brandon Jones and Kate Dallenbach in their development program. And Ganassi has Brennan Poole in development. Aside from that, I'm not seeing anyone making bold moves.

If Cup teams don't make moves to bring Jones, Bell or Byron on board, Gibbs will dominate for another decade.

Nobody...and I mean nobody....will touch Jones. David Wilson has stated emphatically that Erik will be in a Toyota for a very long time. In my mind, that would mean Toyota's flagship team or affiliate. Although BK is not running TRD motors, they have found favor with TRD, and in return support has been increased. Consider that an avenue for expansion. It must be noted that the original idea was to have Gibbs be to Toyota what Hendrick is to Chevy.

What I see happening is Furniture Row picking Erik up until a spot at JGR is open (when Matt retires, I guess). Just depends if that team can handle 2 cars (assuming Truex stays there)

IMO, one of the big reasons FRR signed on was that they would get some assistance in getting sponsorship. This would grow their organization. You can be assured that Erik will come with sponsorship next year.

Jeff Gordon is a legend. The sport suffered a loss when Jeff retired.

Interesting. Does a sport suffer a loss when a legend retires? I mean, sure, the day to day stuff, but Jeff is a part of the sport's history which should be its foundation. Never really looked at his retirement as a loss. Not saying it isn't....just never thought of it that way.

Nobody...and I mean nobody....will touch Jones. David Wilson has stated emphatically that Erik will be in a Toyota for a very long time. In my mind, that would mean Toyota's flagship team or affiliate. Although BK is not running TRD motors, they have found favor with TRD, and in return support has been increased. Consider that an avenue for expansion. It must be noted that the original idea was to have Gibbs be to Toyota what Hendrick is to Chevy.

If there isn't a place for him, and if Hendrick opens up a ride for him, he might bolt. Toyota is going to have to force Kenseth, Hamlin, Truex and Edwards to all retire sooner than they want to if they're going to move Jones, Suarez, Bell and others up. It would be pretty remarkable if they kept all the talent they've signed on. And, if they're able to, Gibbs will dominate the sport for two decades.

If there isn't a place for him, and if Hendrick opens up a ride for him, he might bolt. Toyota is going to have to force Kenseth, Hamlin, Truex and Edwards to all retire sooner than they want to if they're going to move Jones, Suarez, Bell and others up. It would be pretty remarkable if they kept all the talent they've signed on. And, if they're able to, Gibbs will dominate the sport for two decades.

They have three spots for four drivers. Erik isn't going anywhere. Suarez brings big money. Early days for Bell and Byron. We will see how they shake out. Erik Jones could very well be a Toyota lifer IMO. Lee Spencer has stated repeatedly that Toyota's driver development is second to none, and David Wilson has also stated that it has become a Toyota initiative since losing Larson. They will find money and rides for sure IMO.

They have three spots for four drivers. Erik isn't going anywhere. Suarez brings big money. Early days for Bell and Byron. We will see how they shake out. Erik Jones could very well be a Toyota lifer IMO. Lee Spencer has stated repeatedly that Toyota's driver development is second to none, and David Wilson has also stated that it has become a Toyota initiative since losing Larson. They will find money and rides for sure IMO.

If Toyota can break the "lifer" culture in Cup, that'd be a plus.

Most of the Cup media doesn't follow up-and-coming drivers so they don't really see how other teams have driver development. Toyota Racing Development is doing a great job, but they're not the only ones.

William Byron was a JR Motorsports discovery. Richard Childress has Brandon Jones in XFINITY. Lee McCall groomed Ben Rhodes, who's also raced for JR Motorsports. JR Motorsports has fielded Josh Berry in XFINITY and is getting ready to run Dale Earnhardt's granddaughter in Late Models. Richard Childress also has Kate Dallenbach in their development program and, if NASCAR wants to see a successful woman in the sport, Kate Dallenbach might be their best chance of that happening. She's better than Johanna Long, IMO, based on what I've seen at the track in person.

Like I said, TRD is gonna have to force Kenseth, Edwards and Hamlin out. Kenseth will probably retire within the next five years but if Edwards and Hamlin stick around for 10 years, it might be hard for Toyota to keep Jones and Suarez.

Like I said, TRD is gonna have to force Kenseth, Edwards and Hamlin out. Kenseth will probably retire within the next five years but if Edwards and Hamlin stick around for 10 years, it might be hard for Toyota to keep Jones and Suarez.

I get what you are saying, but after you grow FRR and BK if necessary with Gibbs as the parent company, it looks to me like there will be room at the inn. Additionally, I look for Toyota to bring another team(s) into the fold. If Gibbs becomes the required destination for drivers, the, yeah, you have a space issue, but if an affiliated team is acceptable, Toyota should be fine retaining their talent. This was a significant piece of bringing in FRR IMO. Look for that team to be as affiliated as ever when Erik gets there.

If Toyota can break the "lifer" culture in Cup, that'd be a plus.

Most of the Cup media doesn't follow up-and-coming drivers so they don't really see how other teams have driver development. Toyota Racing Development is doing a great job, but they're not the only ones.

William Byron was a JR Motorsports discovery. Richard Childress has Brandon Jones in XFINITY. Lee McCall groomed Ben Rhodes, who's also raced for JR Motorsports. JR Motorsports has fielded Josh Berry in XFINITY and is getting ready to run Dale Earnhardt's granddaughter in Late Models. Richard Childress also has Kate Dallenbach in their development program and, if NASCAR wants to see a successful woman in the sport, Kate Dallenbach might be their best chance of that happening. She's better than Johanna Long, IMO, based on what I've seen at the track in person.

JRM/HMS lost both Byron and Rhodes to Toyota. They need a young guy outside of Chase. Was nice to see Bowman

Back
Top Bottom