Gibbs Indy Cars Illegal

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Denny Hamlin's third-place-finishing car from the Brickyard 400 is headed back to the NASCAR R&D Center in Concord, N.C., for further evaluation, a NASCAR spokesman announced about 90 minutes after Sunday's race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The No. 11 Toyota of Hamlin -- who along with second-place Kyle Busch and fourth-place Matt Kenseth gave JGR a 2-3-4 finish -- will undergo further examination this week after officials discovered an issue with "several" rear firewall block-off plates on Hamlin's car in post-race inspection. The parts in question have been confiscated by NASCAR for another look at the R&D Center.

Hamlin's finish, which precedent suggests will stand no matter the outcome of this week's R&D Center visit, matched his best career result at the fabled 2.5-mile track, where he also finished third in 2008.

Any penalties resulting from post-race inspection issues are typically levied by NASCAR on the Tuesday after the event.

The new found speed of the Gibb's Toyota's from "wacky" block off plates? Wonder how many points and what level of penalty and money Nascar will bleed out of the Gibb's bunch. Sounds like this will be the first big time penalty this year.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...rd-place-finishing-car-at-indianapolis-072714

Here is another article "Pockrass" saying it is no big deal. Joe Gibbs Racing has hopes for no major sanctions. I guess this article was written before they took all three cars back to Nascar's R&D center.

NDIANAPOLIS — Denny Hamlin and his team had an issue in postrace inspection after the Crown Royal 400 Sunday that Joe Gibbs Racing hopes does not result in any major sanctions.
NASCAR announced after the race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway that it had confiscated several rear firewall block-off plates from Hamlin’s third-place car and would take the pieces back to the NASCAR Research and Development Center for further inspection. The block-off plates are intended to seal the driver’s compartment to keep hot fluids, smoke and fire from getting to the driver. Air flow through the block-off plates could help the car’s aerodynamics during a race.

251001-330-0.jpg
Denny Hamlin (AP Photo)
Confiscation doesn't mean an automatic penalty, and NASCAR likely will decide Tuesday if a penalty is warranted.

MORE: Jeff Gordon's record-breaking win | Indy results | Carl Edwards/Roush future | Danica's bad day

“It was a little something; it wasn’t that big of a deal,” said JGR Senior Vice President Jimmy Makar, who oversees the competition department. “I don’t think it’s going to be a big deal (penalty-wise). It is just a questionable thing.”

Hamlin is 11th in the Sprint Cup standings and is on pace to make the Chase for the Sprint Cup with a win at Talladega earlier this year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...penalties-parts-confiscated-brickyard-results

ok ok so is there a chance they will take positons away from these cars or not?

ok ok so is there a chance they will take positons away from these cars or not?

driver points and money can be used for penalties. So even though their positions aren't changed, taking away points can be like losing many positions. Who knows what Nascar will do, in the past they have suspended crew chiefs and given large fines to teams for messing with the cars.

Since NASCAR does not take positions away, what will happen if the winning chase car at the homestead bowl is found illegal? Just take enough points away to drop them out of winning the championship?

Since NASCAR does not take positions away, what will happen if the winning chase car at the homestead bowl is found illegal? Just take enough points away to drop them out of winning the championship?

Maybe just a fine....wouldnt that upset people.....CHEATERS DO WIN!

“It was a little something; it wasn’t that big of a deal,” said JGR Senior Vice President Jimmy Makar, who oversees the competition department. “I don’t think it’s going to be a big deal (penalty-wise). It is just a questionable thing.”

I'm sure they cleared the "questionable" thing pre-race.....right?

Like Danicas rear gear

I don't think all the king's horses and templates and lazers caught the underhood shenanigans of the Gibbs bowl cars.

According to one crew chief, If the block-off plates are not sealed off sufficiently, air can flow through the firewall enabling the car to gain anywhere from 20 to 30 pounds of rear downforce.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

what was interesting was hearing Kyle complain all the race that his car wasn't handling..then afterwards with the media he was acting like something was wrong with the car. good acting job Kyle.

Just add this to the steaming pile of horse manure that has been Toyota in 2014.
Pretty much.

If the cars were illegal, they'll have to take their lumps. If not, give them back their gear and move on.

if this was intentional...they should lose spots....

I'm guessing they are playing with the gray areas and NASCAR saw something that looked a little different.

What all this begs the question is what drew nascars attention? was it that toyota was running poorly in previous races and then all of sudden they were doing better? or was it just post race stuff?

What all this begs the question is what drew nascars attention? was it that toyota was running poorly in previous races and then all of sudden they were doing better? or was it just post race stuff?

could be anything from a leak by a disgruntled employee to a pair of sharp eyes by a tech inspector. But I was a bit surprised in qualifying and then in the early stages of the race, I even said it looks like they turned up the Toyota's. And then Hamlin, who has been asleep suddenly is dominating at Indy? If I could see the new found speed, anybody could.

I believe it is illegal alright, Nascar wouldn't have taken the parts, and some reporting says the took the 11 car and some implied they took all three. I know a few years back at Daytona I think it was, Nascar found a car that had the oil access door loose and flapping inside the car. They penalized who ever that was. I remember at the same race they penalized Junior also for having hollow spoiler bolts

"Gibbs Indy Cars Illegal"? 1) Only the #11 parts were taken back to R&D. 2) Only the #24 and #18 were taken back to R&D as standard procedure. The #18 happened to be the random as well as the 2nd place finisher. 3) No determination has been made of legality just yet. 4) When Carl had his oil tank issue, Toyota went out of their way to spew downforce numbers, and were butchered for it. When something happens to Toyota, we get these unnamed CC's who cite downforce numbers. So, I will ask the same question asked of Toyota back in the day with Carl.....How the hell would a Crew Chief know this if they weren't pulling the same ****? Hmmmmmm.

Last edited:
could be anything from a leak by a disgruntled employee to a pair of sharp eyes by a tech inspector. But I was a bit surprised in qualifying and then in the early stages of the race, I even said it looks like they turned up the Toyota's. And then Hamlin, who has been asleep suddenly is dominating at Indy? If I could see the new found speed, anybody could.

I believe it is illegal alright, Nascar wouldn't have taken the parts, and some reporting says the took the 11 car and some implied they took all three. I know a few years back at Daytona I think it was, Nascar found a car that had the oil access door loose and flapping inside the car. They penalized who ever that was. I remember at the same race they penalized Junior also for having hollow spoiler bolts

I mentioned in the race thread that it was odd for #20 to be passing the #48, the way he did.

As for Hamlin, I don't think it would surprise too many to see him do well on a flat track but then again....

This is from 2006, but we all know how flakey Nascar is with it's penalties.

No points penalty
Last fall during qualifying at Talladega, Berrier and the #29 team had some trap doors in the trunk that weren't properly sealed off. The shocks were open when they were supposed to be closed. And some hose clamp that holds the fuel-filler pipe in place came loose. The next thing you know, Kevin Harvick's car had air underneath the car, going up through the trunk and escaping out a hole in the back of the tail light. In that instance, no unapproved parts or pieces were used.
During Daytona 500 qualifying this year, crew chief Chad Knaus and the #48 team put a sleeve over the trackbar adjuster. Like the #29 car at Talladega last fall, all of those parts and pieces were still part of the car that they raced in the Daytona 500.
so....Points penalty: In simple terms, here's the pattern. If you maliciously put something on a car that's made or machined, and it's an unapproved piece that can be confiscated, the team will be fined, the crew chief will be suspended and the driver and owner will lose 25 points.
No points penalty: If you take something that's already on the car and use it to beat the spirit of the rule, then it warrants a suspension and a fine, but it does not warrant the loss of 25 driver and owner points. See Larry McReynolds full article at FoxSports.(2-23-2006)

I mentioned in the race thread that it was odd for #20 to be passing the #48, the way he did.

As for Hamlin, I don't think it would surprise too many to see him do well on a flat track but then again....

Did they take pieces from the #20? #18? If you have information, cite source please. Lee Spencer is reporting that he #18 and #20 were fine.

Did they take pieces from the #20? #18? If you have information, cite source please. Lee Spencer is reporting that he #18 and #20 were fine.

if you would read the two articles reported at the top of the page that is where the information comes from. the links are also posted.

NASCAR takes the 1st and 2nd place car + a random. They have the ability to inspect at will, however. Jeff Gluck is reporting that the teams were instructed to seal off the firewall plates prior to inspection. This tells me that there were probably several who were trying something, and the #11 got nailed for whatever reason.

if you would read the two articles reported at the top of the page that is where the information comes from. the links are also posted.

Oh yeah, you mean the articles where in one the writer says that they are taking the car and then later says pieces back to R&D. Probably need to read the article again....the stuff between the hyphens describes the #11--not meant to indicate that all three cars went to R&D. Turner also speaks of several issues with the #11 when there was only one. Great piece. :sarcasm:

NASCAR takes the 1st and 2nd place car + a random. They have the ability to inspect at will, however. Jeff Gluck is reporting that the teams were instructed to seal off the firewall plates prior to inspection. This tells me that there were probably several who were trying something, and the #11 got nailed for whatever reason.

Typically, it is the top five cars that are inspected after a race. Now some reporters are saying they took the plates from the 18 only. Who knows.

Typically, it is the top five cars that are inspected after a race. Now some reporters are saying they took the plates from the 18 only. Who knows.

Yeah man, I hear ya. I think many times the reporters don't know ****. As I understand it, they go top 2 plus a random--full cars back to R&D. Also, as I understand it, the parts from Denny's car--not the entire car--went back to R&D.

According to one crew chief, If the block-off plates are not sealed off sufficiently, air can flow through the firewall enabling the car to gain anywhere from 20 to 30 pounds of rear downforce.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

what was interesting was hearing Kyle complain all the race that his car wasn't handling..then afterwards with the media he was acting like something was wrong with the car. good acting job Kyle.

I listen to Kyle every week. He was absolutely no different from any other week. Come on man!

yeah all of a sudden the Gibbs cars are all in the top 5 at a motor track?

...and all they had to do to get competitive was to **** with the firewall block off plates. Who knew?

Four of five TRD Toyotas in Chase position. This isn't over.
Yeah, Kyle and Denny are in, and Kenseth and Bowyer are 4th and 10th in points respectively, so they're most likely in. Just a matter of how they do once the Chase starts.

Relax, man. :)

I don't know what was taken and what wasn't. I only know what I saw during the race and that it was odd to see the #20 haul past the #48 on the straightaways. The Toyotas haven't exactly been known for their straigh line HP so far this year.

Well surprise surprise, getting pressure from a team finishing 2-3-4 and they ain't suppose to win the chase, only JJ can win the chase, so Nastycar can improve ratings, right? Old man Rick Hendrick has always been good a putting his money where it counts, to the tune of one year house arrest for collusion in his business dealings and how ironic that he came down with some kind of cancer that lasted as long as he was on house arrest and then miraculously he was well again. PALEEESSSEEE.

Back
Top Bottom