Guy to replace Ince as crew chief of No. 10

majestyx

Administrator
Staff member
From Team Press Release October 7, 2003
1:45 PM EDT (1745 GMT)

Valvoline Racing announced Tuesday that Jay Guy will serve as crew chief of the No. 10 Valvoline Pontiac for the remainder of the 2003 NASCAR Winston Cup season.

Guy, who served as car chief this season, replaces James Ince. The team granted Ince his requested release on Tuesday.

Guy and driver Johnny Benson worked together Sunday at Kansas where Benson ran as high as third before an accident.

"There are still several races left in the season and we want to end the season on a high note by running well," Guy said. "We hope we can defend our win at Rockingham and we have a Homestead tire test planned so we have a busy time coming up. This is a good race team and we think the hard work will pay dividends before the end of the year."

Team General Manager Jay Frye said Ince's tenure will be remembered for its success.

"James has done a lot in helping our organization grow and his efforts are much appreciated. He will always be known here as the crew chief who brought us our first victory," Frye said. "But, we think Jay Guy can be the person that helps bring us our second victory. Jay has worked hard for this team and we feel fortunate we have someone of his caliber ready to take over the controls of the team."

Ince and Benson's first race came at Daytona in 2000 when their white car nearly won the Daytona 500. The pair won at Rockingham in 2002 and posted 13 top-five and 30 top-ten finishes together.

Benson is 26th in 2003 driver points.

Benson said he obviously has mixed feelings about the change.

"James Ince is a very good friend of mine and we have been through a lot together since 2000," Benson said. "Somebody somewhere is going to get a good crew chief. But, things change in this sport and I'm really looking forward to working with Jay. We did well Sunday not just in the race but in our communication and everyone's attitude was really positive. We still have a goal of winning a race and I think it would be awesome if we could do that this season."

Guy's duties begin this weekend at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just under the impression that he has some family business to handle. I certainly didn't see this coming. :unsure:

I didn't either, but I did think Johnny acted a little odd when asked about this on IWC last night.

WOW that was a shock!!!

To tell you how much James likes JB and this race team he went to Johnny's message board on Sunday and made a nice post about Johnny and his fans! James is a very nice guy and it is a shame that he is not with Johnny anymore. I wish he could stay with the team in soem form but I guess a change might be what JB and the Gang needed. Now I am not sure if JB's run on Sunday was do to the Change or if JB would have ran that good even if James was turning the wrenchs.
I hope all turns out well for James. In the post he made on the JBFC message board he sounded a little down in the dumps like something was going on. But I too thought it was just family problems. He is obvioulsy upset about this. I would like to know excatly how he was told he would not be returning?

:cheers: Heres to James! Thanks for getting JB his first win and doing a great job the past 4 years with JB! Won't be the same without him standing on the #10 pit box!

:unsure: Hey, pb. I understood the article to say that James Ince requested his release from the team.

During the race on Sunday, they made a comment that he took a requested leave of absence. The whole thing sounds strange.

Back
Top Bottom