Hendrick motorsport's top driver

S

smack500

Pretty much everybody here knows my favorite is jeff Gordon but even I am starting to question who the top dog at hms right now. Jimmie seems to have surpased his co owner same amount of wins and better point standings since hes joined in the game. He has a better crew chief big time and may have a better pit crew. As for equipment that seems to be about the same, but may change if things keep going the way they are.

So what do you think, is jeff still the top dog at hms?

Jeff is absolutely still the top dog and will remain so for the forseeable future. Gordon has won 4 championships for Hendrick and that kind of thing doesn't get swept under the rug by a little early success.

That didnt and doesnt stop hendrick from giving jimmie better equipment then terry who has givin him a championship.
However I do agree with you though right now anyway. Today on a couple nascar shows I notice them comparing jeff and jimmie. I was mainly just looking to get other peoples opinions on the matter.

Jeff can be labeled as the top dog and will probably be known as the top dog at HMS until he retires simply because he has four championships under his belt.

But since Jimmie came on to the scene Jimmie has outperformed Jeff in every single way, and I dont see that changing any time soon.

RGF echos my opinion. Johnson is light years ahead of where Jeff was at the same point in his career.

For the moment, of course, Jeff is still the top dog...but I would bet the ranch Gordon could run 'only average' for about a season and a half or so and Hendrick would split with him---'lifetime contract' or not. Frankly, since JJ has came along, Jeff isn't as valuable to that operation as he thinks.

Of course, JJ himself might become expendable when Kyle hits the scene.... ;)

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 23 2004, 01:15 PM
RGF echos my opinion. Johnson is light years ahead of where Jeff was at the same point in his career.

For the moment, of course, Jeff is still the top dog...but I would bet the ranch Gordon could run 'only average' for about a season and a half or so and Hendrick would split with him---'lifetime contract' or not. Frankly, since JJ has came along, Jeff isn't as valuable to that operation as he thinks.

What do they call that? The order of "natural selection"?

The slower and weaker are killed off so that the pack can survive?

Top dog ????? Let's see, if we were discussing country and western performers, top dogs were afforded respect for thier accomplishments through thier entire career. GUys like Roy Acuff and Porter Waggoner who, in thier later years lost some of the tone and sparkle of thier voices, but they were and are still treated with respect and considered "top dogs".

In today's world, a lack of proper respect, a top dog goes from hero to zero in one week.

At HMS, Gordon was the Top Dog for several years, Terry slipped in and took the honor one year, Jeff grabbed it back.
Is Jeff Gordon still Top Dog at HMS ???
In terms of respect a solid yes.
In terms of day to day performance, BY comparison to team members within the HMS organization, well, let's just say the results show he is doing better as a team owner than as a driver.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+Mar 23 2004, 08:24 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ Mar 23 2004, 08:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--97forever@Mar 23 2004, 01:15 PM

What do they call that? The order of "natural selection"?

The slower and weaker are killed off so that the pack can survive? [/b][/quote]
Sadly maybe, I really think so 4x. It seems the drive for ever younger and more accoplished drivers is underway in earnest. I honestly think in a few years we will have the era of the 'rookie-champion' where super-rookies are brought in after years of early conditioning that can take ROTY titles and the Cup in the same year. I think this may be a few years down the road yet...maybe Kyle Busch will usher in this era or maybe it will wait till Matt Martin hits the scene but it appears inevitable.

Yes, Jeff is still a young man,but others are as good and even younger...and a good younger man can beat a good older man all else being equal.

The most ironic part of the whole equation is that Jeff himself started this trend----now he is very likely to fall victim to it,IMO.

Yes, Jeff is still a young man,but others are as good and even younger...and a good younger man can beat a good older man all else being equal.

Shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell John Force or Warren Johnson LOL :D

Jeff still has a lot ahead of him at HMS. He carries a lot of weight by having 4 chamionships and being part owner of JJ team. He is still a heck of a good driver, but he does seem to be getting caught up in accidents that he used to be able to avoid. Maybe he is just getting spread a little too thin now.

Ok..Here are some stats comparing JJ and JG for the time that JJ has been a full time cup driver:

Average Finishes per season:

Points Per Race: JJ-127.78 JG-127.97
Average Start: JJ-14.33 JG-12.97
Average Finish: JJ-13.5 JG-14.06
Average Standing: JJ-4.78 JG-5.42
Wins: JJ-3 JG-3

Points Per Race: JJ-137.00 JG-132.92
Average Start: JJ-12.28 JG-8.64
Average Finish: JJ-11.39 JG-12.92
Average Standing: JJ-4.67 JG-5.58
Wins: JJ-3 JG-3

Points Per Race: JJ-127.78 JG-127.97
Average Start: JJ-12.20 JG-15.40
Average Finish: JJ-11.39 JG-12.92
Average Standing: JJ-13.40 JG-16.80
Wins: JJ-1 JG-0

I wouldn't say that Jimmie is leagues ahead of Jeff right now. He's a great driver, no doubt, but I think it's a bit early to be handing him the keys to the kingdom. Of course in Jeff's first three full cup seasons he amassed 9 wins and a Championship. So, let's let Jimmie get at least one Championship under his belt before all this talk can have any real merit.

Jeff was ROTY in '93 and champion in '95 I believe that Jimmie is not light years ahead of where Jeff was at the same point in his career.

Having said that, Jimmie does look to be very strong and I am sure that Jeff is helping him a lot. After all, Jeff is part owner of the 48 team.

Jeff still brings in a lot of sponsorship money, so he is probably still top dog, but Jimmie is definately coming on strong!

A few more comparisons:
--------- Top 5's-- Top 10's----DNF's---Prov's used--- % laps completed
----------JJ-- JG---JJ----JG----JJ-JG---JJ---JG--------JJ------JG
2004------3---0----3-----3-----1--1---0----1---------82.0--81.8
2003-----14--15--20----20-----3--5---3----0---------98.3--82.0
2002------6--13--21----20-----3--3----3---1---------98.3--95.3

JG leads in Top 5's,but also leads in DNF's,although used less provisionals.

JJ leads in Top 10's,has less DNF's and a higher percentage of completed laps.
Out of the above 5 categories JJ leads 3-2 items.
Note:JG led the series in 2003 with 1,639 laps led :D

IMHO Jeff Gordon is still the top driver at HMS!

Do you think Johnson will win a championship before Jeff wins another one?

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Mar 24 2004, 09:16 PM
Yes.

Oh and 24thunder, of course you would think that Jeff Gordon is still the top driver at HMS. ;) :lol:

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Mar 24 2004, 09:16 PM
If Jimmie keeps running as consistantly as he has, I think that is a real possibility.

I really do expect Jimmie to win a championship or two before all is said and done.

I think Jeff is still the #1 HMS driver when all is said and done, but I do definitely see big things ahead for Jimmie. They're kind of 1 and 1A at this point, but of course that can change at any time.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan+Mar 25 2004, 12:02 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobbyG Fan @ Mar 25 2004, 12:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--4xchampncountin@Mar 24 2004, 09:16 PM
Yes.

Oh and 24thunder, of course you would think that Jeff Gordon is still the top driver at HMS. ;) :lol: [/b][/quote]
I don't think.I know that Jeff Gordon is still the top driver at HMS! :lol: Jeff Gordon accounted for all of HMS's wins in the 2001 season with 6 victories,carried Them on His back :lol:Took the trophy home for HMS also :D :lol:

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Mar 24 2004, 10:16 PM
Nah,Jeff Gordon will have 5 or 6 Championships before Jimmie gets His forst Championship IMO ;)

Jeff Gordon is the top dog at HMS. The only way I can see Jimmie Johnson being the top dog would be for him to win more championships then Jeff. My old favorite driver until he went to the race track in the sky, Dale Earnhardt Sr, won eight championships. He had up and down seasons in his career and still won eight championships. This is probably just one of those down seasons for Jeff Gordon. He'll get better.

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 31 2004, 04:10 PM
did I miss something??????? :huh: ??????
Nah,just an Earnhardt Sr. fan,most of Them say that Sr. was the best driver ever,saying that He won 8 Championships instead of the actual 7 would make Their case clearer,but eh wrong :lol: It's actually closer to 6 Cups for Dale Sr. as Mark Martin should've won the Cup in 1990 instead of Dale Sr.,but rules are rules and Mark got busted for that infraction and lost all those points. :eek:
Personally,The King Richard Petty is the best driver ever thus far at this level with200 wins and 7 Championships,not 76 wins like Dale Sr. ;)

btw,Congrats to Jeff Gordon on His 10th Championship ;) :eek: :lol: j/k :D If I'm gonna lie,I'm gonna lie big-time :lol: B)

Originally posted by Happy29@Mar 31 2004, 11:02 PM
Arright, Larry Foyt is the greatest driver in the world.
That would make it a small world afterall :D :D

Ok, if you say that then Mark Martin would also be our 2002 champion. But he didnt win either one. Know why? In short, he just better just take all his parts back to customer service.

I still take comfort in the fact that Dale Sr. was the first MAN to win the Brickyard 400. :p

Wow I didn't catch that. Eight championships, wishful thinking B)

Originally posted by Goodwrench3@Apr 1 2004, 04:12 AM

I still take comfort in the fact that Dale Sr. was the first MAN to win the Brickyard 400.
In the eighties and early nineties, many NASCAR fans mistakenly felt ALL Earnhardt fans lacked class.

Posts containing comments like the one here do nothing to diminish that theory.

Originally posted by Goodwrench3@Apr 1 2004, 12:12 AM
Ok, if you say that then Mark Martin would also be our 2002 champion. But he didnt win either one. Know why? In short, he just better just take all his parts back to customer service.

I still take comfort in the fact that Dale Sr. was the first MAN to win the Brickyard 400. :p
Did I upset a few Sr. fans here. :eek: My post was really in fun,other than correcting an obvious mistake.Dale Jr. fan did say that He just noticed it,I can inderstand the wishful thinking,I like to do that also sometimes. ;)
To Goodwrench3,no the FIRST MAN to win the Brickyard 400 was Jeffrey Michael Gordon in 1994 and He's the only 3 time Brickyard 400 winner as well,although that's all in My sig. :lol: :lol: I wonder how those bricks taste? :lol: :D

Back
Top Bottom