Hood flies into stands, injures fan

B

bowtie

The hood from Robbie Gordon's #31 Chevrolet came off on lap 156 of 160 in Saturday night's Pepsi 400 at Daytona International Speedway and went into the grandstands on the front stretch, injuring at least one race fan.

The fan, an unidentified female, was taken to Halifax Medical Center for observation, track officials said. Her condition was unknown.

Gordon's car was heavily damaged in an accident on lap 74, but he returned to the track later in the race in order to help curb the damage in the series points race.

While Gordon was exiting turn 4 and driving down the frontstretch, the hood came off and flew high into the air and over the catchfence, which extends nine feet above a four feet high concrete wall in that area.

The hood dropped down into the stands, where it was soon swarmwed by fans.

Judging from the brief film clip, the fan was smiling and waving to the crowd as she was being taken away.

I hope she recovers quickly, and gets a signed hood from Robby.

Does anybody know if she gets to keep that hood?
Seriously, this could have been really messy...NASCAR needs to stop these wrecked cars from running around in circles just for the points, are peoples lives worth that?

She better be able to get that hood, she could really sue here!

Originally posted by redrock@Jul 7 2003, 10:45 AM
Does anybody know if she gets to keep that hood?
Seriously, this could have been really messy...NASCAR needs to stop these wrecked cars from running around in circles just for the points, are peoples lives worth that?
Many people keep overlooking things here, I dont know why...

THE BOLTS WERENT FASTENED !!! So, wouldnt it be the teams fault ?

Happy29 - yes and no; if the bolts are not tighten then its the teams fault, but a NASCAR official is always watching the work going on when a damaged car is being worked on. That offical should have checked that car before allowing it back on the track.

On a side note...I wonder if the hood has a head imprint on it? :p

You would think the team would be at fault if the bolts weren't fastened. The coverage said something about the cops taking the hood...Definetely think she should get it. I am sure she has received something with Robyy's signature on it...like a get well/sorry card? I would hope he would send something even though he himself is not to blame.

Back
Top Bottom