How about that Ryan Newman

RCR is like 2nd string Chevy stuff, good cars but nothing like a Hendrick piece.

2nd Strong Chevy stuff beat the Fords & Toyotes today. Even without HMS it would have been just another November BOWTIE day in Miami.

Yes they did.

Perhaps they should award a junior cup title for the non Chevy teams. They are good people that work hard, just not as blessed as the Chevy teams.

RCR is like 2nd string Chevy stuff, good cars but nothing like a Hendrick piece.

2nd Strong Chevy stuff beat the Fords & Toyotes today. Even without HMS it would have been just another November BOWTIE day in Miami.

Yes they did.

Perhaps they should award a junior cup title for the non Chevy teams. They are good people that work hard, just not as blessed as the Chevy teams.

Thats why the truck series is still around, its the Toyota playground that nobody gives a crap about

Thats why the truck series is still around, its the Toyota playground that nobody gives a crap about

I still think a Junior Cup series title would still be more prestigious. In an accidental inadvertent way it would connect them to HMS/Jr/Chevy at least by name in the Jr sense.

I still think a Junior Cup series title would still be more prestigious. In an accidental inadvertent way it would connect them to HMS/Jr/Chevy at least by name in the Jr sense.

I think its a bad idea Greg and I bet Junior thinks its a bad idea too ;)

Newman finished 2nd in the championship during his first year at RCR while Harvick only managed a best points finish of 3rd in all his years at RCR.

How many championships did Newman win at SHR?

b8182aed33c4a02d650f6a7067000ff6.jpg

I don't know about calling Newman, "Big Papi." There is just something missing. We need a new nickname for him.

Newman did well for himself and team this year and was in the right place at the right time yesterday to pull off what would have been a great story. Points have always weighed more in motor sports than wins and should over the course of a long season.

stat wise maybe he didn't deserve to be final four. i'm not sure if anyone could have done better over the season in that car. but he sure drove the hell out of it today.
The stat people are creatures of habit and they haven't figured out that stats don't work unless you split the season chase vs. non chase stats. Another wrench in the works is the win and your in feature. So the stat people have lost that warm and fuzzy feeling when they spit out all these stats because they are pretty much worthless. Confusing, but you have to go by the leader board to determine the places, and Newman and company got all they could, and finished second.

I was cheering for Newman yesterday because I like his involvement in supporting animal charities. And it would be cool to see Cat get a title; they've been in the sport a long time now. Out of the other options I'm glad that Harvick got it though. I like him to.

Nobody will notice that he finished 2nd in 2014 championship
Some actually will notice but by next year no one will remember.
I was cheering for Newman yesterday because I like his involvement in supporting animal charities. And it would be cool to see Cat get a title; they've been in the sport a long time now. Out of the other options I'm glad that Harvick got it though. I like him to.
The animal charities is big in my book. :cheers:

The thing I found most surprising was how Newman was able to step up his performance each round. For all those saying RCR is junk, I don't know about that. If he had 4 tires at the end, who knows what could have happened. Either way it looked to me like RCR really closed the performance gap in the Chase. Now if only they could step up their driver talent...(I still think RCR should have gone hard after Kurt)

I expected his consistency to run it's course and have him eliminated by the 1st or 2nd round. I still can't believe he was able to come that close to winning it all. I bet the folks at CAT are happy they turfed Burton for Newman, never seen that 31 car get so much TV time before!

He consistently outran all the other RCR drivers when he was driving RCR equipment at Furniture Row.

You must be one happy fan Pudge. Your boy Newman went on a hell of a run and put up a great fight. I've never been a fan of his but I've got to give credit where credit is due. He had an unbelievable finish to the year and I commend him and the whole 31 team for their year. Luke Lambert is really coming into his own as a crew chief, and the 31 team should be a force to be reckoned with going forward.

He consistently outran all the other RCR drivers when he was driving RCR equipment at Furniture Row.

You must be one happy fan Pudge. Your boy Newman went on a hell of a run and put up a great fight. I've never been a fan of his but I've got to give credit where credit is due. He had an unbelievable finish to the year and I commend him and the whole 31 team for their year. Luke Lambert is really coming into his own as a crew chief, and the 31 team should be a force to be reckoned with going forward.
i'm probably a little bias here i admit.

Always liked Newman, he's come from a different place than just about everyone. Back when he was one of the best back in 02-04 wining just about every 4th pole and all those races in 03. Kind of fell off the map after that, but he did win Daytona and Indy, which is quite an accomplishment. Definitely a top 8-12 talent, not sure why he's getting all the hate when he's got nothing to do with it.

Always liked Newman, he's come from a different place than just about everyone. Back when he was one of the best back in 02-04 wining just about every 4th pole and all those races in 03. Kind of fell off the map after that, but he did win Daytona and Indy, which is quite an accomplishment. Definitely a top 8-12 talent, not sure why he's getting all the hate when he's got nothing to do with it.

Welcome to the forum Russ . Great points .

at least give him some credit, he did lead all drivers in top 20's

Last edited:
I'm not even saying anything about a regular season champ, I'm just saying Gordon had a better season, better finishes, more wins, more top 5's and 10's than Newman. Newman played smart so he deserve his 2nd place finish.
I thought the whole idea in racing for the season was to finish first overall. Finishing second overall beats the hell out of anyone who didn't make the final 4. Obviously you didn't have a great year if you didn't make it and yes that includes my driver Brad.

Top 20's dont get you into this new chase. Only winni.... oh wait.
Advancing 12 drivers to the chase rather than 16 would almost certainly eliminate winless guys. Winning was what won the chase this time but we'll seeeee.

Advancing 12 drivers to the chase rather than 16 would almost certainly eliminate winless guys. Winning was what won the chase this time but we'll seeeee.
Rick will visit Brian and explain changes he needs to make sure his cars are in the final 4. :biggrin:

Ryans the real champ today

I feel sorry for the dude.

In 2003 he won 8 races, which is TWICE as many as the next best driver, finished 6th in the standings, and had to watch Matt Kenseth "win" the "championship" with only a single victory that season.

This year he didn't win a SINGLE RACE and finished better than he ever has.

That just goes to show how ridiculous the scoring system truly is...

I feel sorry for the dude.

In 2003 he won 8 races, which is TWICE as many as the next best driver, finished 6th in the standings, and had to watch Matt Kenseth "win" the "championship" with only a single victory that season.

This year he didn't win a SINGLE RACE and finished better than he ever has.

That just goes to show how ridiculous the scoring system truly is...

I was rooting for him at Homestead, I still cant figure out how he got that close to a championship o_O

I was rooting for him at Homestead, I still cant figure out how he got that close to a championship o_O

This is the first time I actually followed a NASCAR season, and probably the last, due to the fact that I just can't wrap my head around the scoring system, and how little it values winning a race.

When I look at past seasons and see "champions" that have half as many victories as some of their peers, or even EIGHT TIMES as many LESS as was the case with Newman / Kenseth in 03', I can't help but think to myself that the NASCAR "champion" is based more on luck than any kind of driver skill.

IMO, a NASCAR "championship" is pretty much meaningless as it simply crowns the "best loser" instead of the best WINNER.

Back
Top Bottom