How about that Ryan Newman

It is a great feat, but at the same time, when the competition is that close you risk putting way too much emphasis on restrictor plate race wins, fuel mileage race wins, rain-shortened race wins, and the like. I absolutely agree with weighting the points scale more towards winning but counting wins alone isn't the best indicator of performance in a sport where you compete against a field rather than head-to-head.
One of Kahne's wins in 06 was rain-shortened, Michigan

It is a great feat, but at the same time, when the competition is that close you risk putting way too much emphasis on restrictor plate race wins, fuel mileage race wins, rain-shortened race wins, and the like. I absolutely agree with weighting the points scale more towards winning but counting wins alone isn't the best indicator of performance in a sport where you compete against a field rather than head-to-head.

Valid points, and I agree that increasing the value of a victory would certainly be a better assessment of driver skill than the current system, though I still believe total driver victories is the best final assessment.

IMO, even the F1 series point system would be an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time I actually followed a NASCAR season, and probably the last, due to the fact that I just can't wrap my head around the scoring system, and how little it values winning a race.

When I look at past seasons and see "champions" that have half as many victories as some of their peers, or even EIGHT TIMES as many LESS as was the case with Newman / Kenseth in 03', I can't help but think to myself that the NASCAR "champion" is based more on luck than any kind of driver skill.

IMO, a NASCAR "championship" is pretty much meaningless as it simply crowns the "best loser" instead of the best WINNER.

Harvick had 5 wins, 8 poles, and led almost 2 times as many laps as the next best driver :rolleyes:. I guess he was quite the bridesmaid

Harvick had 5 wins, 8 poles, and led almost 2 times as many laps as the next best driver :rolleyes:. I guess he was quite the bridesmaid
Now we can't please everyone but maybe if we keep changing it everybody can be happy at least at some point along the way. ;)

For me..... All I care is that they keep lining them up on Sunday and the first car across the line at the end is the winner. That, I don't think is going to change but who the heck knows?

And?

What value do lead laps and pole positions hold when the driver can't capitalize on them and earn wins? None.

Keselowski had more wins and more top fives, while Logano had more top 5 and 10 finishes, and the same amount of wins as Harvick, and yet both of those drivers finished lower in the standings than "champion" Harvick, and 2nd place WINLESS driver Newman. That just doesn't make sense to me, and it's NOT a hit on the drivers, or the teams, as much as it is a hit on NASCAR for having a ridiculous scoring system.

Regardless, I find it interesting to see exactly how insignificant people treat race wins. It's like a race winner is simply the "lucky" driver that day or something.

For me..... All I care is that they keep lining them up on Sunday and the first car across the line at the end is the winner. That, I don't think is going to change but who the heck knows?

That's probably exactly how the drivers feel.

Regardless, I find it interesting to see exactly how insignificant people treat race wins. It's like a race winner is simply the "lucky" driver that day or something.
That's probably exactly how the drivers feel.

Most days that's exactly right . A race is a drama , played out lap by lap . There's a leader on lap 1 , another on lap 100, another on lap 499 and another on lap 500 . Each leader was the best car on the track at the time . The winner is simply the best car on the track on the last lap. Right place at the right time , with the right tires and enough fuel...dumb luck. Ask Matt Kenseth if he won all those races last year with skill or luck. :)

I feel sorry for the dude.

In 2003 he won 8 races, which is TWICE as many as the next best driver, finished 6th in the standings, and had to watch Matt Kenseth "win" the "championship" with only a single victory that season.

This year he didn't win a SINGLE RACE and finished better than he ever has.

That just goes to show how ridiculous the scoring system truly is...

,...or the old system was :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom