How on Earth can you call the Chase "a lottery"?

This is so far off the mark it's ridiculous. You can't even make it to Homestead if you aren't nearly perfect. Every round is super difficult to get through with no room for error.
I call BS on that. Luck is actually the biggest factor. Your lucky if Harvick doesn't wreck the front of the field and your in it.
Your lucky if Tony doesn't take a fit.
Your lucky if you don't piss off Kenseth.
Your lucky if some back marker doesn't take you out while he is racing another back marker.
Your lucky if a air gun doesn't misfire.
Your lucky if someone coming into their pits doesn't wipe you out.

You can do everything right for 9 races and still lose and not because your not the best team out there but because someone else is having a bad day.
Play offs in any sport can do the same thing.

Wildly inaccurate.

Took a look at a dozen recent pre-chase seasons. Most of the time, the points leader had a 200 plus point lead with 5 races remaining and on one occasion the lead changed hands before that season ended. In every other case, the lead was still there at year's end.

There were spectacular championship years in the past. Kulwicki's Cup comes to mind. There just weren't very many of them.
All that means is the best teams were much better than the others. In Kulwicki's case it came down to 3 teams who had a shot and 2 of them left it on the table.

^ What it means to me is that the vast majority of championship runs with 5 races to go were dull and uninteresting. Mercifully, there were race winners to celebrate.

12 years of complaints about this system in its various forms have had no effect whatsoever. I'm sure the complaining will continue and will continue to accomplish nothing. I can't remember the last time I saw an original thought expressed anywhere about this issue. Time to move past the denial stage of the grieving process. jmo, of course.

The current chase rewards consistency and winning. In the previous version, one bad race and a driver was done, now drivers have a chance to recover if they can win (not easy but it has been done). Using the traditional points championship the top two drivers would be points racing each other for the last ten races (I'm pretty sure we would be whining about that).

The current chase rewards consistency and winning. In the previous version, one bad race and a driver was done, now drivers have a chance to recover if they can win (not easy but it has been done). Using the traditional points championship the top two drivers would be points racing each other for the last ten races (I'm pretty sure we would be whining about that).
I think a bad race can actually penalize you more in this format than in the previous ones, because before you had nine other races to make up a bad finish as to where now you only have two. Jeff Gordon in 2014 is a great example. The dust up with Keselowski knocked him out of the chase that year, despite the fact he finished 2nd in the other two races of that round.

I think a bad race can actually penalize you more in this format than in the previous ones, because before you had nine other races to make up a bad finish as to where now you only have two. Jeff Gordon in 2014 is a great example. The dust up with Keselowski knocked him out of the chase that year, despite the fact he finished 2nd in the other two races of that round.

You have a chance to redeem yourself though (i.e. Harvick at Phoenix and Dover)

You do understand that the top two drivers finishing first and second in a race is 'points racing' , don't you ? You get the most points when you are ' points racing' by finishing first . You also prevent you competition from gaining more points than you by finishing first . I cannot understand why 'points racing' somehow became a bad thing . Every form of motorsports is based on 'points racing' , getting the most points you can in every race you can .

You have a chance to redeem yourself though (i.e. Harvick at Phoenix and Dover)
And Talladega...
image.jpeg

I call BS on that. Luck is actually the biggest factor. Your lucky if Harvick doesn't wreck the front of the field and your in it.
Your lucky if Tony doesn't take a fit.
Your lucky if you don't piss off Kenseth.
Your lucky if some back marker doesn't take you out while he is racing another back marker.
Your lucky if a air gun doesn't misfire.
Your lucky if someone coming into their pits doesn't wipe you out.

You can do everything right for 9 races and still lose and not because your not the best team out there but because someone else is having a bad day.
Play offs in any sport can do the same thing.

That is every. single. race. Stop acting like that's Homestead exclusive.

Wildly inaccurate.

Took a look at a dozen recent pre-chase seasons. Most of the time, the points leader had a 200 plus point lead with 5 races remaining and on one occasion the lead changed hands before that season ended. In every other case, the lead was still there at year's end.

There were spectacular championship years in the past. Kulwicki's Cup comes to mind. There just weren't very many of them.

I never had a problem with that as it was just the cream separating itself and it didn't seem problematic for a lot of people either.

Winning an automobile race, at any level, will never go out of style or out the window ... not in my tiny little world.

I simply don't focus on championships or the manner in which they're won as much as many people seem to. Nothing wrong with either ... whatever floats his or her boat.

It would be nice if Nascar would go back to the traditional points system as we could all be happy watching individual races and race winners and them a champ could be crowned based on who did the best in the races over the course of a year. It sounds like a win-win to me.

I love the Chase. 10 races. Your best sh!t. Your best strategy. Best of everything. Chips to the center of the table. Green drops bull**** stops. Love it. Bring it on.

In fairness though you love everything about Nascar and if a change was made where a caution was called at the last lap at Homestead and it was a one lap shootout for the championship you would be on board.

Doesn't anybody think that Harvick's 2014 Championship was amazing? Fastest whole damn year, and he went out and took what was his in the finale. I won't address Kyle's Championship because even if he had gone 36-0, somebody would have a boner over it, and everybody knows it. While not addressing the championship, nobody could ever argue that Kyle was among the top 3 cars during the season--even missing 11 races. Far from the lottery winner.

It makes no difference if Shrub, Yap Yap or the Bug Eyed Dummy wins the lottery as it is a bogus system.

Besides the inferior part....Kyle last year wasn't a SEASON LONG body of work. No matter how you twist it, you can't say it was SEASON LONG. since he missed 11 races. He played by the rules yes, and is the champ yes...but that shows why the chase is BS. Hell, I like Tony and if he wins it this year I'll say the same thing. You just got Kyle Fan Blinders on and that's why you don't care.

Anytime being a fan of anyone or anything blocks logic and the ability to be rational it is a bad thing as it deceives the fan as well as being obnoxious to others.

You guys really crack me up.......I mean the people who used to cry on and on about the boring points racing are now b#tching about the Chase.
Most of you will NEVER be happy....of that I am quite sure.

IDK how long this place has been established for but I doubt it was much before the chase started, if that long, so I can't see where any person now posting complained about the classic champ format. I know I thought it was the best format and it could have been tweaked to place more emphasis on whatever was deemed important.

NASCAR fans are never happy

I can't speak for basketball or MLB but I know hockey and football fans are happy. They may have a beef with the ineptitude of their home team but it is all good.

Kurt Busch finished 42nd at Atlanta with a few races to go in 2004. Jimmie Johnson didn't even finish in the Top 10 until the fifth race of the 2006 Chase, including a 39th-place finish in the Chase opener. He finished 38th at Texas with a few races to go in 2009.

All that means is the best teams were much better than the others. In Kulwicki's case it came down to 3 teams who had a shot and 2 of them left it on the table.

What selective memory is forgetting about the 1992 championship was that Bill Elliott had it well in hand and imploded over the last half dozen or so races. As much as Davey Allison was touted he should have won the championship if Kulwicki didn't but he failed to capitalize. This is an unpopular thing to say but in reality Bill Elliott gift wrapped the champ for Alan.

What selective memory is forgetting about the 1992 championship was that Bill Elliott had it well in hand and imploded over the last half dozen or so races. As much as Davey Allison was touted he should have won the championship if Kulwicki didn't but he failed to capitalize. This is an unpopular thing to say but in reality Bill Elliott gift wrapped the champ for Alan.
Anybody remember when Sterling Marlin appeared to have the championship well in hand? Then he was injured going into the fall Charlotte race and was done for the year. Some kid named MacMary or something took over.

Anybody remember when Sterling Marlin appeared to have the championship well in hand? Then he was injured going into the fall Charlotte race and was done for the year. Some kid named MacMary or something took over.

It looked like JMc was going to be the next Pearson and Earnhardt rolled into one.

I can't speak for basketball or MLB but I know hockey and football fans are happy. They may have a beef with the ineptitude of their home team but it is all good.

Exactly. I love college football, and don't spend much time critiquing it. This is because it doesn't seem to have leadership content on destroying everything the sport represents.

Exactly. I love college football, and don't spend much time critiquing it. This is because it doesn't seem to have leadership content on destroying everything the sport represents.

lol, you want to talk about illegitimate championships in NASCAR and yet you bring up college football? You realize that still to this day the NCAA does not crown a D-1A football champion, right?

Assuming everything the sport represents is money generated by a program that at best could be called an unpaid apprenticeship and at worst the last vestiges of slavery, sure.

It would be nice if Nascar would go back to the traditional points system as we could all be happy watching individual races and race winners and them a champ could be crowned based on who did the best in the races over the course of a year. It sounds like a win-win to me.

I mean, nascar ratings and attendance continues to drop year after year, has nascar even thought that just maybe its because of the chase?

I loathe any form of championship in racing that does not award the championship to the overall best driver for the entire season.

The NFL and NHL both have different rules for their playoffs. The overtime rules are different and the policing of games (in NHL) is very different.

Luck plays too big a factor in the Chase now. And, since they use regular season rules, there is nothing on the books to ensure a proper postseason race.

It was BS what they did to Matt Kenseth last year when he wrecked Joey Logano. They should have just made a new rule moving forward instead of suspending him under a new rule. That'd be like arresting someone who hasn't committed a crime, writing a new law to criminalize what they did and then throwing them in jail.

However, a rule should be in place to ensure that Chase drivers don't get taken out by non-Chase drivers. In fact, I think that, if that happens again, the race should be red flagged long enough for the Chaser who got dumped to unload their backup car. And if a Chase driver intentionally takes out another Chase driver, park them.

Imagine if Kevin Harvick and Martin Truex, Jr. were battling for the lead at Homestead and Tony Stewart took Truex out while being lapped.

Also, Chase races should have to go their full distance. MLB has a rule that states that postseason games cannot be shortened by rain, even though regular season games can be. If a race starts and it starts raining, either wait it out or finish it on Monday.

NFL rules allow for regular season games to end in ties, but playoff games cannot end in a tie. They keep playing until someone scores. NASCAR's version of Overtime should be similar. No "Overtime Line". If the caution comes out on the white flag lap of a Chase race, rerack them and do it again. And keep doing it until the race finishes under the checkered flag.

Oh, and NO RESTRICTOR PLATE RACES IN THE CHASE. Why the **** Talladega is there is beyond me, especially since that race is usually a crashfest.

Last edited:
That is every. single. race. Stop acting like that's Homestead exclusive.

Even in the old Chase, you could come back from a wreck or DNF. Now, if you get wrecked, you either have to win or you're out. Jeff Gordon didn't advance in 2014 because he had two second place finishes and one wreck. That's ****** insanity.

Back
Top Bottom