In-Car track bar adjustments

P

PushRodV8

Not sure if posted before but Bob Pockrass posted on twitter that there is testing for in-car adjustable track bars taking place at Michigan (i think) next week.

What do you guys think? I think it could possibly make the racing better.

Sounds cool. anything to make racing better

interesting, I would be surprised to see it because it takes and element out of the pit crews hands. I don't see the point of it actually. HOWEVER I have always wondered if there was a way a driver could adjust this inside the car during a red flag condition with some vice grips or a wrench without nascar knowing. The extension is encased in a metal tube however it doesn't look to extend all the way from window to truck floor. SO I asked a guy who drives late models at irwindale what he thought of what I was thinking and he told me. When he practices the car or tests he is able to put in a cranking extension that allows him to adjust it from the drivers seat so he doesn't need to come back into the pits everytime. I wonder if this is what the teams have during the tests because they run different things at the tests like telemetry etc.

i can hear crew chiefs now, leave that track bar alone, go back on it. i guess drivers don't just drive the car anymore.

Pretty soon NASCAR will have fuel trim selections, energy recovery systems, adjustable aero........Mother of God.

oh and turbochargers

I don't like it for a few reasons.

1. Watching the drivers save a loose car for 50 laps is the best.
2. Makes it more like open wheel where there's full adjustability.
3. The job of the crew chief is now tires, mentoring, and fuel strategy.
4. We won't be able to listen to the Busch brothers verbally abuse their crews.

Doesn't sound like it would be too safe if there was an accident.

I like it for testing.. Takes a lot away from the racing in a race setting IMO.

I would have to know a little more about it from a technical standpoint, like how the mechanisms would be accessible to the driver.
I'm not sure I like the idea.

I would have to know a little more about it from a technical standpoint, like how the mechanisms would be accessible to the driver.
I'm not sure I like the idea.
when i first read it, the first thing i thought of was Bristol

Finally take some engineering out of the racing. I feel drivers should be able to adjust their air opening too.

If you're talking about the grille. Yes. Absolutely. Not so much for downforce.. But it might save an engine or 1,000.

Pretty soon NASCAR will have fuel trim selections, energy recovery systems, adjustable aero........Mother of God.

oh and turbochargers
God, I wish. Introduce more technology in these racing taxi cabs.

Don't think they'll go to turbo unless they reduce the displacement or take cylinders away. And I don't think they'll do that. The average NASCAR fan in his 50s or 60s associates turbochargers with the stupid teenager down the street with his CHIPed Subaru.

Total wet dream of mine, but if I was Kevin France and in charge of NASCAR, I'd open the rules totally and let them run NHRA funny car engines. Supercharged, 100% nitro. **** your reality. I don't care if Hendrick, Penske and Gibbs are the only teams who win every week.

:headbang:

Alan Cavanna @CopaCavanna · 11h
Huge 2015 test coming up on Monday. #nascar will test two very different packages. The first will have larger spoiler and reduced HP

The lower horsepower pkg will feature a "driver-adjustable track bar". That's a significant change. Interesting stuff.

The 2nd will be a low downforce pkg, 28-30 percent less than what cars have now. It'll be combined w/ stickier tires from Goodyear

Pockrass also tweeted out that they'll be experimenting with dive planes...that oughta look strange.

Needless to say, I'm in favor of package #2. I think most of those on here that follow F1 would agree that the 25% reduction in downforce this season has made the racing better. The first package sounds like nothing more than a glorified Nationwide car.

God, I wish. Introduce more technology in these racing taxi cabs.

Don't think they'll go to turbo unless they reduce the displacement or take cylinders away. And I don't think they'll do that. The average NASCAR fan in his 50s or 60s associates turbochargers with the stupid teenager down the street with his CHIPed Subaru.

Total wet dream of mine, but if I was Kevin France and in charge of NASCAR, I'd open the rules totally and let them run NHRA funny car engines. Supercharged, 100% nitro. **** your reality. I don't care if Hendrick, Penske and Gibbs are the only teams who win every week.

:headbang:

We don't CHIP our Subuarus, we reflash the ECU. CHIPS are old technology.

I dont like it.. but I think its pretty cool that they can do that...

Just that it takes a bit of the team effort out of it... the crew chief is there for a reason... whats next? In car tire pressure adjustments? Drivers calling their own pit strategy? :rolleyes:

Pretty extensive differences in the two tests, but you still have to deal with driver bias/preferences. They are probably going to go with the setup they think will give them an advantage. Drivers being drivers.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...an-testing-sprint-cup-series-kenny-bruce.html

Gene Stefanyshyn, vice president Innovation and Racing Development for NASCAR, said two different packages featuring various changes would be tested on the 2-mile track at MIS.

"We have a prime rules package and also will be doing a low downforce package, because some of the drivers have been very vocal," Stefanyshyn said. "They think (low downforce) is a solution ... so we're going to try one of those."

Under the low downforce package, approximately 28-30 percent of the downforce generated will be taken off the car by removal of the radiator pan (which was integrated into the current package which debuted this season) as well as the use of a 3.5-inch spoiler.

Stefanyshyn said Goodyear will bring "a sticker tire so we're going to give that a go, see what that's like."

The prime rules package will involve much greater changes and will include the use of dive planes, a 9-inch spoiler, six-percent rear differential gear ratio, three different power levels (engine horsepower) as well as a driver adjustable track bar. Dive planes are small strips on the left and right side of the front bumper areas about halfway between the splitter and hood.

The engine changes will vary from the current 850 horsepower to 800 and 750 hp. Stefanyshyn said those changes would be made during Monday's test through the use of different sized restrictor plates in order to gauge the effects. If it is determined that less horsepower works best with the aerodynamic changes being considered, how best to accomplish that for next season would still have to be decided.

"I think the aero changes that we have are the right ones," Stefanyshyn said. "We've still got to figure out the power variables ... we'll see which one provides the best racing."

The test is slated to get underway at 9 a.m. ET with six different sessions scheduled throughout the day. Teams are expected to make single-file 15-lap runs in every other session, with double-file runs making up the remaining 15-lap sessions.

Drivers scheduled to participate are: Jamie McMurray (Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates No. 1 Chevrolet), Kasey Kahne (Hendrick Motorsports No. 5 Chevrolet), Danica Patrick (Stewart-Haas Racing No. 10 Chevrolet), Paul Menard (Richard Childress Racing No. 27 Chevrolet); Brad Keselowski (Team Penske No. 2 Ford), Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (Roush Fenway Racing No. 17 Ford), Aric Almirola (Richard Petty Motorsports No. 43 Ford), Denny Hamlin (Joe Gibbs Racing No. 11 Toyota) and either Clint Bowyer (No. 15 Toyota) or Brian Vickers (No. 55 Toyota) of Michael Waltrip Racing.

Prior to the start of the 2014 season, NASCAR unveiled a rules package that included statically setting the race car ride heights and eliminating pre- and post-race front ride height rules.

A square leading edge was added to the splitter while adjustments were made to the rear fascia and side skirts and the spoiler height was set at 8 inches. The addition of 43-inch by 13-inch radiator pan completed the changes.

Last edited:
I like that NASCAR is listening and trying a low downforce package. I don't know if that is the solution but we will see. I'm also curious about this "stickier" tire Goodyear has.

Seems to me that the track bar adjustment would be needed as much or more on the test with less downforce. They picked the right track to test those packages on for sure.

I hope Nascar reports the findings. The second test sounds like the one Nascar wants to make and the first one is to satisfy the drivers.

I like it, I think taking away horsepower and downforce will put it back in the hands of the drivers and make for better racing.
It sounds like the only package with a HP reduction comes with an increase in downforce.

It sounds like the only package with a HP reduction comes with an increase in downforce.
yeah, that is why I thought the first test is to satisfy the drivers, It should have all of the HP changes and the track bar like the second test IMO. But not being in the loop, it might be all they wanted, take off the radiator pan, stickier tires and leave the motors like they are. Quite a difference between a 3.5" and a 9" spoiler. Danica's diving fins.
Force-Fins-Pro-Gear-Patrol.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...iact=rc&uact=3&dur=874&page=1&start=0&ndsp=44

Last edited:
If you're talking about the grille. Yes. Absolutely. Not so much for downforce.. But it might save an engine or 1,000.

Even for down force. It wouldn't take much to have an adjustable left and right louver behind the grill.

The 2nd will be a low downforce pkg, 28-30 percent less than what cars have now. It'll be combined w/ stickier tires from Goodyear

My vote right there. Sounds like nascar finally hired someone with a brain. This alone will have a radical improvement on the racing we see. More DRIVING and less momentum runs. Tires will wear, and tire strategy will make a return, along with the bump and run, 2nd groove developing and side by side racing thru turns without wrecking loose.

More downforce = more drag...cars have lower top speed. Less HP means even lower top speed.

Seems ass backwards, but what do I know.

More downforce = more drag...cars have lower top speed. Less HP means even lower top speed.

Seems ass backwards, but what do I know.
I didn't get that either. StandOnIt mentioned it already with the huge difference in spoiler size, it sounds like they're considering two polar extremes.

yeah, that is why I thought the first test is to satisfy the drivers, It should have all of the HP changes and the track bar like the second test IMO. But not being in the loop, it might be all they wanted, take off the radiator pan, stickier tires and leave the motors like they are. Quite a difference between a 3.5" and a 9" spoiler. Danica's diving fins.
Bu4K29sIYAAG5zO.png

I didn't get that either. StandOnIt mentioned it already with the huge difference in spoiler size, it sounds like they're considering two polar extremes.

They should consider a roof spoiler hanging at the top of the rear window where it would be less susceptible to side interference and might lessen aero push. The sooner air gets back down to the track the better for the following car.

All of the configurations sound interesting and I'm glad they are testing them. I'd sure like to know the driver's impressions of the different configurations.

The one I have mixed feelings about is the adjustable track bar. Giving the driver more control over the handling of the car can keep him competitive under changing conditions - which is good. But part of the appeal of NASCAR for me is the team involvement during pit stops. I figure drivers would be their own worst enemy thinking they know how to balance the car; some drivers will figure it out and others will learn to leave it alone.

All of the configurations sound interesting and I'm glad they are testing them. I'd sure like to know the driver's impressions of the different configurations.

The one I have mixed feelings about is the adjustable track bar. Giving the driver more control over the handling of the car can keep him competitive under changing conditions - which is good. But part of the appeal of NASCAR for me is the team involvement during pit stops. I figure drivers would be their own worst enemy thinking they know how to balance the car; some drivers will figure it out and others will learn to leave it alone.

same thing is happening now without the track bar. There are some drivers who continually get worse the longer they race. They are giving the pits the wrong info. Others after the first pit are just the opposite, young Larson is a good example of a driver that usually gets faster as the race wears on. Sadler bless his heart will pit himself into a hole almost every time, Kahne does it a lot too. I'm with you though, I like to see who gets it right after the first pit and starts moving up.

Heck they might as well just add traction control, ABS, power windows and air conditioning. Cruise control, driver memory and hazard monitor is optional at additional cost. :D

Back
Top Bottom