In-Car track bar adjustments

So does my new Ram truck. Active grille shutters that I am told saves the engine in the long run and is also more fuel efficent..
Just wondering how does it save the engine in the long run. Wouldn't it be more prone to overheating?

I've always liked the crew being the ones that adjust the car. I'm not a big fan of driver make these changes. I prefer the 'old school' method.

I've always liked the crew being the ones that adjust the car. I'm not a big fan of driver make these changes. I prefer the 'old school' method.
It would be fun listening to Kybu or Kubu cussing themselves out on the radio for making the wrong changes. You &$*%# idiot you don't know you're #*$%^&@ left from You're #^$%*^& right. Turn it the other #^%$*& way. :D

Just wondering how does it save the engine in the long run. Wouldn't it be more prone to overheating?
From the Ram website. I think the reasoning is that the engine running at a constant cooler temperature coupled with the other technical advances means a longer engine life.
The Ram 1500 is the first truck to use an active grille shutter system closing airflow through the grille when cooling is not needed. It increases gas mileage by 0.5%, cuts drag roughly 4%, and cuts warm-up time/defrost time. The computer closes the shutters when cooling is not needed.
The active shutters are normally either fully open or fully closed. When closed, air pressure quickly builds up in front of the slats, deflecting oncoming air over the truck, which has the lowest drag coefficient of any pickup on the market. At all times, there’s airflow over the radiator from other openings. The idea was to avoid drag from radiator capacity which is seldom needed, while still being able to cool the engine under any reasonable conditions.
In other words I don't know but they're the engineers. :D

I cant see it improving the quality of the racing much, all the cars will have it and the usual people will still be out front every weekend. The slow guys will still be slow and the fast guys will still be fast.

Leave stuff alone Nascar

I like it, I think taking away horsepower and downforce will put it back in the hands of the drivers and make for better racing.

The more stuff you give to the great drivers, the better they get. Frankly, if Kyle Busch can trim the car the way he wants without having to explain it, the better he gets, and the more I believe that he wins the Championship next year. Blah, blah on Busch fans have said that before. Tapered spacer, roll bar....oh yeah.

Michigan winner Jeff Gordon is intrigued about being able to adjust the track bar, especially in traffic.

“The balance changes so much that we’re trying to figure out how we can adjust that balance when we get behind cars and then to help passing and make the races more exciting and more competitive than they already are,’’ he said. “And that’s a step toward that. So, that would be great.

“I’d love to know how much adjustment you’re going to get. I always go back to adjustments that I used to have in open-wheel cars, and I used to dial myself right out of being competitive. So, I want to make sure they don’t allow me to have too much adjustment or if they do, I’m going to make sure the team tells me how far I can go with it.”

http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASC...SCAR-Testing-Potential-2015-Rule-Changes.aspx

BvUqGyrIUAAfewF.jpg:large

I'm just a poor old lady, with no engineering expertise at all --- but it seems to me the easiest and cheapest way to "fix" the cars is to just get rid of the front valence and the side skirts. Get the cars
up OFF the track --- looking more like cars than vacuum cleaners. Open up the grille and cut down the spoiler. Make the drivers WORK for the win.

I'm just a poor old lady, with no engineering expertise at all --- but it seems to me the easiest and cheapest way to "fix" the cars is to just get rid of the front valence and the side skirts. Get the cars
up OFF the track --- looking more like cars than vacuum cleaners. Open up the grille and cut down the spoiler. Make the drivers WORK for the win.

I remember Andy Graves, VP of Chassis Dynamics for TRD, talk about the 0 Ride Height testing before anybody knew what that was. He suggested that it would put the suspension back into the suspension if you will instead of the suspension serving as a mechanism to establish car attitude. Engineers being what they are found a different way to establish attitude, and kept the suspension slammed. Good thing the drivers have the cash to pay for the dental work. Your point is well taken. Get the cars off of the track. Make the suspension relevant. That could certainly change things IMO.

up OFF the track --- looking more like cars than vacuum cleaners. Open up the grille and cut down the spoiler. Make the drivers WORK for the win
I remember reading that the new rules package for this year, no ride height and all, added another 600 pounds of downforce to the cars. Crazy.

At the speeds they run these days the trick is how to make an F1 car look like a sedan.
I get the reasoning behind dive planes, but I don't know how well they'd work in stock car racing. It wouldn't take much more than someone ahead of you botching a restart to have them clipped off and throw off the balance of the car. They're more functional in prototype racing.

How many times have we heard the eggspurts in the booth talk about how busy a driver is and the concentration required? Now they get to play with the track bar?
Are those dive plates for real?

they look kinda cool. For whatever reason I can't see the pics but I found some online--

NASCAR_Earnhardt%20Michigan%20Test.jpg

did you post some of Patrick, DPK?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

http://www.veooz.com/news/5HQbdnN.html

Summary BROOKLYN, MICH. -- It was a tough start for Danica Patrick at Michigan International Speedway today as 10 drivers took part in a 2015 NASCAR rules package test in the Irish Hills. During a double file restart, Patrick, the popular Stewart-Haas Racing team member, spun the tires on her No. 10 Chevy, losing the rear end of the car and hitting the outside wall on the main straight.

Next thing NASCAR teams will test is a ****pit-adjustable track bar controller - electric motor for it seen here.

BvV5VxDIcAAkT3M.jpg

yeah those straight a ways are tough on Patrick..I bet everybody breathed a bit easier when that happened.

Dive plates look like tire cutters, just what they need, more things to cut tires down. I'm sure they plaster the front down really well, but it took them forever on the old car to modify the splitter so it wouldn't cut tires as easily. Now they add two knives to the front.

Patrick said her early test runs with different rear gearing and aero alterations didn't produce dramatic changes, with only slightly slower speeds and improved drivability with a higher-downforce package. She said she was eager to sample more of the potential enhancements in traffic before the day's end.

"There are two ends of the spectrum that work -- speedway style, flat-out, and easy to drive -- but I don't think it's fair to have all the racing like that," Patrick said. "It's entertaining at speedways, but we need tracks that are dedicated to getting the car really fast. Tracks like Atlanta, Homestead where you slide around a lot, it makes for passing, too. I think we need to figure out how to make the cars transition from beginning to end of run. That creates passing."

"There's no denying the fact that our speeds have picked up and that marches hand in hand with the power as it's developed over the years, and so we look at the cars essentially in our form, race cars that look like passenger cars, right?" he said. "They've somewhat changed in shape, they somewhat mirror what the manufacturers are doing, and the power has crept up. So we think by looking at this issue and being open-minded to investigate it, we believe we'll make the racing better, but we'll also deal with this speed issue which has been continuing to creep up and up."

"We've been somewhat hesitant to throw all kinds of adjustability on the car. We like kind of the pure, historic form of our racing, so we march very cautiously here, careful as we do these things," Stefanyshyn said. "Our thinking is we allow them to change things in the pits, so now we're going to investigate whether giving that control to the driver so that he can bring his car into better trim if he's not set up right. ... There's a technical piece of it, but then there's the human piece of it in the drivers and how well they feel comfortable with it and that type of thing. This is something that we need to ask them for their opinions on that."

"Essentially with dive planes, it's a tool if we talk about the lead car, the lead car creates a wake that the trail car has to drive into, so what the dive planes do -- particularly in the low area -- they take this wake and really clean it up so that the trail car has a much more predictable balance in the car. .... So it's really a way to put more predictability into the trail car so he can stay closer."

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...tial-2015-rule-changes-sprint-cup-series.html

now all a driver has to do when they are on the inside is drift up a bit, touch the back tire of the car on the outside with the diving planes and into the wall they go. Just have to make it look like an accident.

yeah those straight a ways are tough on Patrick..I bet everybody breathed a bit easier when that happened.

Anyone can spin their tires on a restart. It just makes me mad that the restart issue occurred during the race and then this.
I am dissapointed.

Does she go to a back up car or she done with the testing?

Edit-read the nascar story. made repairs back on track

GO PATRICK.

Last edited:
now all a driver has to do when they are on the inside is drift up a bit, touch the back tire of the car on the outside with the diving planes and into the wall they go. Just have to make it look like an accident.

Like these guys, eh?

Chariot_Race_Ben-Hur.png

Back
Top Bottom