Jerry Nadeau's been there and back again

T

TonyB

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/...deau/index.html

Professional race car drivers have, arguably, the coolest job in the world. They have multi-million dollar sponsors that pay them big bucks to take high-performance race cars to the edge of control all day long on any given Sunday, February through November.

These guys are the best in the world at what they do. They are worshiped by their fans and admired by millions. And while the benefits of being a race car driver are many -- money, recognition, excitement -- there is one very serious risk.

Like any great gamble, to win big you must also risk losing big. For a race car driver, losing can mean injury or even death. It is this dark reality that race car drivers must, by necessity, disregard.

Professional race car drivers have, arguably, the coolest job in the world. They have multi-million dollar sponsors that pay them big bucks to take high-performance race cars to the edge of control all day long on any given Sunday, February through November.

These guys are the best in the world at what they do. They are worshiped by their fans and admired by millions. And while the benefits of being a race car driver are many -- money, recognition, excitement -- there is one very serious risk.

Like any great gamble, to win big you must also risk losing big. For a race car driver, losing can mean injury or even death. It is this dark reality that race car drivers must, by necessity, disregard.

And as much as he is enjoying spending time with his wife Jada and daughter Natalie, Jerry wondered about his future.

"All I kept thinking was, 'God am I gonna be like this the rest of my life?' You've got to realize, my whole life has been racing -- nothing else," he said, "The only thing I know to do is race."

I told Jerry that, although I didn't know him before his accident, I could not detect any signs of his head injury.

"That's the thing. I look fine, no broken bones or visible injuries -- on the outside I appear to be healthy. But I can feel the difference."

He describes what we cannot see on the surface.

"It's almost like when your arm falls asleep or if you're sitting wrong on a couch and your leg falls asleep and it tingles. My whole left side tingles like that 24 hours a day."

For the brain, perhaps more than any other injury, healing is a waiting game. While Jerry is very determined to get back behind the wheel, he is also very clear about the fact that he does not want to get back into the car too soon. "Right now I figure I'm about 70 percent ready and in Cup you have to be at least 100 percent, 110 percent to do it."

"It's very frustrating to live in my body and know that I can do it. I know I can race, but I'm just not ready to do it. I realize my brain is working to get better and it's going to take time."

And when Jerry does feel ready to get back into a race car, he will face another challenge.

"We talked about when he does come back, the scrutiny he's going to be under just like myself -- that I was under when I got hurt. But he's strong," said Steve Park, who suffered a head injury at Darlington International Raceway in September 2001. "He's doing the right thing. He knows himself. When he's ready to get back in a race car we're gonna see him run as good as he did when he left."

We do not know when Jerry will take to the track again and right now, neither does he. But one thing is for certain: That deep breath we took that fateful day last May, we have all exhaled. Jerry is okay. He is happy and enjoying life -- smiling, laughing and telling stories. Whether or not he ever gets into a race car or not, he is alive and well.

But something tells me Jerry will return to the sport he loves and has known his whole life. Melanie Whitfield, who has worked for Jerry many years, said it all. "I feel sorry for anybody that tries to stand in the way of him getting back in a race car."

And when that day comes, the entire racing world will be on their feet cheering for his return.

Impressive - he's at 70% and more sensible than some who are supposedly at 100%. Hang in there, Jerry.

Great to hear that Jerry is improving and enjoying life, even with the frustration of not being ready to race.

Back
Top Bottom