Jimmie Johnson's thought on Chase for The Sprint Cup

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
Link

"The championship seems so far away," Johnson said. "I had a shot at it last year and that opportunity came and went. It hasn't even been on my mind."

"Honestly, it's because of the format," the Hendrick Motorsports driver told FOXSports.com. "You can dominate the regular season. You can win the first round of (the Chase) . . . what's the first goofy name of the whole thing? What's the second goofy name? . . . and not be one of the final four at the whatever round. I'm just trying to manage my frustration throughout the course of the year.

"Why the hell start worrying now about something that's so different in how you get there? So with that in mind, the real pressure's to win a race. If you can win two, you're guaranteed in (the Chase). When you look at the year and think, 'OK, first off, I've got to walk before I run, I'm going to win two races and then think about the championship,' it just takes a ton of pressure off of you. There's no sense at looking at the end result, at Daytona -- and it's just because of the format. Now, if it was the old Winston Cup-style points system, absolutely, every race counted and it was a different environment."

"I would be foolish to like any other format than the one in which I've won six championships in," he said. "I'll be honest. Call a spade a spade."

"I entered this new phase of the playoff system thinking I want full grandstands, I want sponsorship revenue where it was in the '90s. I want our sport to thrive and be strong," Johnson said. "I've seen stats recently that show me that this format boosted ratings, boosted attendance, (created) a lot of hype, a lot of excitement.

"I'm putting on the what's-best-for-the-sport hat. And if this is better for the sport, I'm in. I want out sport to succeed. But again, I won six championships with a different format, so I'd much rather see it go back to that."

I guess JJ has no complaints, he won 6 championships because of the chase and the tracks in it.
From here on in he may not be so lucky.

I guess JJ has no complaints, he won 6 championships because of the chase and the tracks in it.
From here on in he may not be so lucky.

I can still see him winning one or two more Championships before it's all said and done. :) Don't worry, he'll be 8 Times Sprint Cup Champion before he retires. :D

Only time will tell. I doubt the kids coming in will be as easy on him as the guy who owns 60% of his car.

Only time will tell. I doubt the kids coming in will be as easy on him as the guy who owns 60% of his car.

Chase Elliot may be good, but I'm sure Jimmie Johnson can teach him a thing or two.

Seems like a lot of unapproved unauthorized talking by Jimmie.

Hopefully Brian will fine him severely and put him back in his place. Go post some 5000 cute puppies on your twitter and Facebook pages Jimmie.

I have a feeling Chase will get 8 titles before Johnson will.

I dunno, last season Johnson complained about the car being too tight, hopefully this year with the new package, the car will be more to Johnson's liking and he can get back to winning Championships.

I dunno, last season Johnson complained about the car being too tight, hopefully this year with the new package, the car will be more to Johnson's liking and he can get back to winning Championships.

Maybe he should ask Harvick what to do with a tight car

Maybe he should ask Harvick what to do with a tight car

Different driving styles man, some drivers like a tight car, some of them like it loose. Speaking as a sim racer, I like my car loose. I hate having to force it down into the turn. If I can get it to glide into the turn and glide off on exit and not spin out when I push down on the gas pedal, it's a win for me.

Different driving styles man, some drivers like a tight car, some of them like it loose. Speaking as a sim racer, I like my car loose. I hate having to force it down into the turn. If I can get it to glide into the turn and glide off on exit and not spin out when I push down on the gas pedal, it's a win for me.

I saw a car at Phoenix that pulled away from the others on restarts like he had 100 more horsepower

Shouldnt all the drivers be on the gas on the restart ?
JG doesn't think so. ( just had to say that, no offence to his fans). Really though who ever is behind positions 1 and 2 are limited to how fast they take off if there is no room to pass them. Clint and Brad can attest to that.

JG doesn't think so. ( just had to say that, no offence to his fans). Really though who ever is behind positions 1 and 2 are limited to how fast they take off if there is no room to pass them. Clint and Brad can attest to that.

That theory does make some sense, Im not mad anymore ;)

I can still see him winning one or two more Championships before it's all said and done. :) Don't worry, he'll be 8 Times Sprint Cup Champion before he retires. :D

You remind me of me back when Gordon couldn't lose.

Thought he'd win at least 6 or 7.

There was a time where I thought he would never not win a race in a year.

Granted Gordon WOULD have won that many championships with the old points but hell, why go there now.

You remind me of me back when Gordon couldn't lose.

Thought he'd win at least 6 or 7.

There was a time where I thought he would never not win a race in a year.

Granted Gordon WOULD have won that many championships with the old points but hell, why go there now.

I am the eternal optimist. Okay, even if Johnson doesn't win another Championship, the fact that he won six, with winning five in a row is still pretty damn impressive and I think after his run in the NASCAR Sprint Cup is done, he'll be remembered as one of this era of NASCAR's best driver, if not the best driver of this era of NASCAR.

I am the eternal optimist. Okay, even if Johnson doesn't win another Championship, the fact that he won six, with winning five in a row is still pretty damn impressive and I think after his run in the NASCAR Sprint Cup is done, he'll be remembered as one of this era of NASCAR's best driver, if not the best driver of this era of NASCAR.

Hard to disagree with all that.

More than impressive. What he's done is unique and special. He'll have that distinction of winning 5 in a row all to himself.

That's not going to be reapeated..ever

I dont think.

Seems like a lot of unapproved unauthorized talking by Jimmie.

Hopefully Brian will fine him severely and put him back in his place. Go post some 5000 cute puppies on your twitter and Facebook pages Jimmie.

Nnah.

I think JJ would've won 8 with the old format. This current system doesn't favor his style at all.

I know a couple of championships he did win that he would not have if he was racing points over 36 races. The chase with cookie cutter tracks is what helped to make him a champion.

No one grasped the meaning of this post other than chex? I'm dissapointed. :(

Yea, I didn't grasp it at all. :-/

I know a couple of championships he did win that he would not have if he was racing points over 36 races. The chase with cookie cutter tracks is what helped to make him a champion.

Blah blah blah, old championship, blah blah blah, would've raced the same, blah blah blah. :p

Yea, I didn't grasp it at all. :-/

Started out ripping and trashing the chase and its format and ended it with the soft, obligatory anti hate response of how he just wants to see high ratings, grandstands filled and wants to do what's good for NASCAR etc.

Started out ripping and trashing the chase and its format and ended it with the soft, obligatory anti hate response of how he just wants to see high ratings, grandstands filled and wants to do what's good for NASCAR etc.

Ahh, well, not a bad way to go about it TBH.

I think JJ would've won 8 with the old format. This current system doesn't favor his style at all.
I agree, Jimmie getting to 8 will be difficult now. Too much luck involved in the new chase format. I understand why JJ is not a fan of the new format, there had to be a degree of "Jimmie-proofing" that went into the thought process behind it.

I agree, Jimmie getting to 8 will be difficult now. Too much luck involved in the new chase format. I understand why JJ is not a fan of the new format, there had to be a degree of "Jimmie-proofing" that went into the thought process behind it.

Don't worry, Knaus and Johnson are working on cracking it and winning him a 7th. :D

Back
Top Bottom