Jr. In The Booth

I really like Jr. and hope he will rethink getting back in the car next year. But..... I just don't think he is cut out for a race announcer...... I might be wrong. He might be great. He just doesn't strike me as that. His post race interviews .... he comes across as being a little rattled and doesn't really want to talk....... And that's understandable... he's all wound up... But... he also comes across to me as being a very private person who doesn't enjoy the limelight and wants to be very low key... He might make a great play by play strategist..... I just have a hard time understanding him .... as far as his speech..... And I'm from the South ......

When Junior is out of the car, Nascar will give him a big contract in the PR department
and he will make millions more doing more commercials for Nascar.
His fan base will eat it up.

I could see it happening for good next year, maybe Jr replacing Jeff Burton. Mark Lazarus has said in the past that they want to switch it up, keep the booth fresh. Also think Kevin Harvick will end up on TV when he retires, maybe replacing Darrell Waltrip.

I have a feeling Dave Burns will end up replacing Rick Allen in the next few years as well. ESPN went through this in their first few years, where they ended up taking Jerry Punch out of the booth because the fans just didn't like him and replaced him with Marty Reid and, later, Allen Bestwick.

The networks do listen.

The networks do not listen and no network in there right mind would broadcast the Chase joke

I could see it happening for good next year, maybe Jr replacing Jeff Burton. Mark Lazarus has said in the past that they want to switch it up, keep the booth fresh. Also think Kevin Harvick will end up on TV when he retires, maybe replacing Darrell Waltrip.

I have a feeling Dave Burns will end up replacing Rick Allen in the next few years as well. ESPN went through this in their first few years, where they ended up taking Jerry Punch out of the booth because the fans just didn't like him and replaced him with Marty Reid and, later, Allen Bestwick.

The networks do listen.
Jr. back with Steve L. Sounds fine to me.

What's not to like?

I think he can do more for Nascar doing PR. He can be a guest on both networks, make a real short history segment which he loves doing anyway. Junior can be the glue to holding what's left of his and Nascar's fan base together.

I think he can do more for Nascar doing PR. He can be a guest on both networks, make a real short history segment which he loves doing anyway. Junior can be the glue to holding what's left of his and Nascar's fan base together.
He's a likeable enough guy. That could be a good role for him. He's got a great passion for the sport as do we.

I'd like to see - I mean hear how Jr does. I think Jr would have a pretty good insight to plate racing (he's always been good at it). Didn't a number of drivers try out the mic in the xfinity series in the last couple of years?

Dear God. Jr. in the booth. Please no. NO. Looks like the volume is going off when Letarte starts grabbing his ass. Please no.

If it means anything to anyone, through extensive testing and evaluation I have learned the mute button works as well with NBC as it does FOX. Additionally, the FF button works equally well with both Verizon and Nationwide commercials.

There is hope thru technology.

Wish you hadn't asked.

The explanation could be painful to read.

"Man I tell you what Hank bout there-that dang ol meaning o’life, man. It’s like this man. You’ like a butterfly flappin ‘is wings deep down in that forest man an’ it gonna cause a tree fall like five thousand miles away man. If-an ain’t no body see it nobody don-done-e’en know it happen you know ibda baby born into this world int’know neck god dang friends got no nothin but da go come into find out about em ol evil man. Man see like, you don even know man. When-dyagon it’d like you born into this world man and you got — it’s like this: dust in the wind man, or like a dang ol’ candle in the wind man. You gon — it don matter man it’s not the old oldies all th’ time man. You know what I think man? It’d like the the dang ol – I think therefore you are man "

... Boomhauer

boom.jpg

He was decent in the booth earlier this year. And if I remember correctly, he said back then he'd like to do more because it was fun.
Junior was ok from what I remember, but among current drivers I think Harvick, Edwards, and Bowyer (in that order) would make the best commentators when they decide to hang up the helmet.

Junior was ok from what I remember, but among current drivers I think Harvick, Edwards, and Bowyer (in that order) would make the best commentators when they decide to hang up the helmet.
I would have put them the other way around , really liked Bowyer , but the three are the best so far in my opinion

I personally find JR to be very enjoyable as a speaker. He talks like the average Joe - which is what the average NASCAR fan is. He doesn't try to get paid by the word and does not over complicate them. He's real, honest, and humble as well. I think he'd be perfect.

"Man I tell you what Hank bout there-that dang ol meaning o’life, man. It’s like this man. You’ like a butterfly flappin ‘is wings deep down in that forest man an’ it gonna cause a tree fall like five thousand miles away man. If-an ain’t no body see it nobody don-done-e’en know it happen you know ibda baby born into this world int’know neck god dang friends got no nothin but da go come into find out about em ol evil man. Man see like, you don even know man. When-dyagon it’d like you born into this world man and you got — it’s like this: dust in the wind man, or like a dang ol’ candle in the wind man. You gon — it don matter man it’s not the old oldies all th’ time man. You know what I think man? It’d like the the dang ol – I think therefore you are man "

... Boomhauer
now come on Ward is not in the booth.... :p

I happened to (surprisingly) enjoy Jr in the booth this year.

... Boomhauer
Man!!!!!!!!! You nailed it to a tee there brother...... both the wife and I always thought Jr. sounded just like Boomhauer when doing an interview.... just rattling on and running his words and sentences together .......

BAM!!!!!!!! You got it ......... :D

I happened to (surprisingly) enjoy Jr in the booth this year.

I didn't dislike Junior or Jeff Gordon , I thought they were fine . Compared to Ned and Benny , some of these guys need to give us a little more insight . I mean , we can see the race , unless they are going to add something we don't already know then what's the point ? I think these guys need to spend a lot more time in the garage area prepping for the show . I think they should be out through the week , visiting drivers at home and crews in the race shops . I'd like to hear what's going on .

I didn't dislike Junior or Jeff Gordon , I thought they were fine . Compared to Ned and Benny , some of these guys need to give us a little more insight . I mean , we can see the race , unless they are going to add something we don't already know then what's the point ? I think these guys need to spend a lot more time in the garage area prepping for the show . I think they should be out through the week , visiting drivers at home and crews in the race shops . I'd like to hear what's going on .
Agreed.

The thing is also...for the past 20 years, the commentators have seemed to be trying too hard to call the race rather than let the action speak for itself. The most difficult & important aspect of being a sports commentator is utilizing silence. This jas been an issue in all professional sports for a while now. Pat Summerall (NFL commentator) was the MASTER of silence and simplicity. He let the action speak for itself and only spoke when it was absolutely necessary. The old-school NASCAR commentators like Parsons and Squier were the same way.

It's as if the current commentators think every viewer is blind and are complete idiots.

Junior and Jeff , Smoke etc . ,they are in there because they are celebrities . I doubt they want to work all week prepping background stuff for the race show . They just want to show up and talk about what they see . Well , we see it too . Maybe the xfinity driver that is reporting from the pits on the xfinity races is the guy the networks should be looking at . He seems to want to work at doing his job .edit ; Looked him up ,Parker Kliggerman . This guy could become very good .

You might have a very good point there...... Ned, Buddy and Benny might have been trying to make their Social Security checks stretch a little further...... none of them got paid like these guys do.......

Back
Top Bottom