Jr Speaks Out About Cussin

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dale Junior sounds of on cursing policy
March 17

Tuesday at Texas Motor Speedway. Dale Earnhardt Junior gave his opinion on the sport's crackdown on cursing by drivers during broadcast interviews.

"It's a good plan, but I think they have to draw the line with the in-car radios," Earnhardt said. "It's a privacy issue. We've had these frequencies for years. To turn around and claim it's public property is not right. If they tell me they are going to fine me $5,000 for saying a cuss word on my radio, that's wrong."

Driver Johnny Sauter was fined $10,000 last week and docked 25 Busch Series points for cursing in a radio interview after a race at Las Vegas. Earnhardt also has said a few four-letter words in broadcast interviews, which he feels was inappropriate. But he doesn't think the rules should apply to in-car radio comments.

"NASCAR officials say they may have to do it because it's so easy for people to get those frequencies," Earnhardt said. "But they go out of their way to get it. We don't offer it to them. If that's the case, we're going to start selling it. Now I'm having to try to be careful what I say during a race when I never had to worry about it before."

Some fans have scanners at the races to listen to conversations between drivers and crew chiefs. Scanners also are rented at each track. Earnhardt feels controlling in-car radio conversations is similar to telling coaches what they can say in a locker room.

"Bobby Knight is able to tell his players at halftime what he wants to tell them, the way he wants to tell it," Earnhardt said. "He doesn't need to worry about who's listening."

Earnhardt's comments came during a lunch break in the test session. Three or four reporters usually show up for a driver's test at TMS, but a visit by the sport's version of Elvis brought about 30 media members from as far away as Austin.

Earnhardt's session came two days after winning at Atlanta for his second victory of the season. He finished 35th one week earlier at Las Vegas when his team completely missed the setup on the new softer tires NASCAR is using this season.

"It shows we can be good and bad," he said. "That Vegas run is always going to be in the back of my mind. I'm going to wonder if that can happen again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Originally posted by kat2220@Mar 17 2004, 03:08 PM
"That Vegas run is always going to be in the back of my mind. I'm going to wonder if that can happen again.

Can and will.

I agree with him on the in-car radio, if you don't won't to hear it stay out of the car. :angry:

That's not what he said...it was "#$%&@#!!!! E%$%*$&!!!!!"

Technically the FCC controls the frequencies, but I doubt they would step in when the audience is so limited in size and it's not a public broadcast.

I'm with Dale --- if you don't like the language, don't listen. Besides, most teams put out the disclaimer before the race that the language may not be fit for those under 16.

I agree with Dale. What is said on the radio between the driver and crewcheif is their concern. If you don't want to hear the curse words don't tune in. Simple. :cheers:

:cheers: What is happening to NASCAR? Trying to tell the drivers what and what not to say on the scanners DURING a race? That's like telling Bush he can't lie! :p j/k

Dale Jr. had better watch it,He's speaking His mind,Kevin Harvick was already fined for a similar action,be careful Jr. or U will also lose some precious points and $$$$$$$$ ;)
As long as there is a disclaimer before each race broadcast about the in-car radio content,I don't see any problem with it,these drivers have more than enough on Their freaking minds during a race without worrying about did I say dam*,SOB and etc. on the radio today?Geeezzzzzz :p

I think I have to agree with Jr. This time.

I'm sure if Jr. Wants it, it'll happen

Jr is right and if Nextel and Na$ca$h have their way, he'll be called to task for his statement.

Originally posted by kat2220@Mar 17 2004, 08:04 PM
Jr is right and if Nextel and Na$ca$h have their way, he'll be called to task for his statement.
If the FCC decides to enforce the rules and laws concerning language over the radios, you might be right Kat. Believe it or not the radio airwaves are owned by the public and the FCC is charged with honoring that ownership by enforcing the rules. The rules state very clearly that profanity or obscene language is strictly forbidden (I know, I have a radio license). While I'm sure NASCAR and Nextel could, on their own, impose fines and punishment to the drivers and crews, I doubt they would unless the FCC starts hollering. Now if the FCC decides to impose fines and punishment, then no one can blame NASCAR or Nextel for that. I believe Mike Helton was alluding to that possibility in the meeting with the drivers. Those rules and regulations are really out of NASCAR's control (and Nextel's too...but they may have a bigger interest since they have to abide by those rules more stringently, being a communications company).........why do they get the blame? If the FCC tells the sanctioning body to get control of their teams and drivers, they have no legal way of not doing so.

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2+Mar 18 2004, 12:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DE_Wrangler_2 @ Mar 18 2004, 12:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--kat2220@Mar 17 2004, 08:04 PM
If the FCC decides to enforce the rules and laws concerning language over the radios, you might be right Kat. Believe it or not the radio airwaves are owned by the public and the FCC is charged with honoring that ownership by enforcing the rules. The rules state very clearly that profanity or obscene language is strictly forbidden (I know, I have a radio license). While I'm sure NASCAR and Nextel could, on their own, impose fines and punishment to the drivers and crews, I doubt they would unless the FCC starts hollering. Now if the FCC decides to impose fines and punishment, then no one can blame NASCAR or Nextel for that. I believe Mike Helton was alluding to that possibility in the meeting with the drivers. Those rules and regulations are really out of NASCAR's control (and Nextel's too...but they may have a bigger interest since they have to abide by those rules more stringently, being a communications company).........why do they get the blame? If the FCC tells the sanctioning body to get control of their teams and drivers, they have no legal way of not doing so. [/b][/quote]
Very well put DE... was thinking last night that really the rules that govern the teams radio frequencies is no different than those governing CB radios, Ham radios or any other radio broadcasts just not enforced at this time. Just depends how far FCC wants to go to inforce them. I guess most of the drivers and crews don't read the papers that come with all broadcasting radios including walkie talkies stating that fact, they're just handed the sets.

Hmmm..., Nextel, caller frequencies, privacy, scanner frequencies,...
There must be an answer somewhere.

Lady you hit the nail on the head. i have been wondering how nextel was going to get their fingers in the scanner business. what you want to bet in the next year or 2 that if you don't have nextel scanner you ain't going get to listen in ?

Back
Top Bottom