JUNIOR Wins and a Fan Bares All

T

TonyB

From The Gaston Gazette

by Monte Dutton
Gazette Sports Reporter

AVONDALE, Ariz. — After winning the Checker 500, Dale Earnhardt Jr. conducted a press conference in the infield media center, which is located behind pit road in the Phoenix International Raceway infield.
One side of the press-conference area is bordered by windows. Early in the question-and-answer session, a young woman walked up to the window and bared a part of her anatomy that is typically concealed by clothing.

A large contingent of the media — and, of course, Junior himself — witnessed the incident, which set off quite the raucous scene.

Earnhardt Jr. waited for the whoops and laughter to subside; then, with a sense of timing that Bob Hope would have envied, leaned into the microphone and said, “The demographic of this sport is changing.”

Meanwhile, the ample young woman was being led away outside.

Dale Earnhardt Jr., who will almost surely not win the championship — not yet — won his second race of the season. Yet his popularity, at least in terms of readily visible intensity, is something of which this sport has never seen the likes.

One wonders what would happen if Junior won the championship. What if he, not Ryan Newman, had won eight races this year?

Would his fans riot? Would there be dancing in the streets? Would he be elected governor by acclamation? Would he be on the cover of the Rolling Stone?

Oops. That’s happened already.

For the driver himself, it’s a great problem to have … as long as there is some modest level of control. Earnhardt Jr. has penned (with the help of an associate) a bestseller, made videos starred in popular commercials. If he so desired, he could probably become, like Elvis, a movie star. All he lacks is a movie.

Earnhardt said he hadn’t really considered the consequences of his already extraordinary popularity gone stark, raving mad.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I’d hate to have to put up with what D.W. (Darrell Waltrip) did when he wasn’t popular. I remember when he got booed to death. I try to stay composed and keep it in perspective.

“I think people cheer for us not because we win or lose; they cheer for us because of who we are. I’m really proud of my fans.”

Mainly, though, through the whole bizarre scene, he just laughed, probably the most when it was suggested that perhaps he owed the young woman outside the window a set of beads.

It was a priceless moment in the life of stock-car racing’s first rock star. One reality he may have to deal with is this: In contrast to most of his peers, it’s unlikely he will ever fly past the limits of his fame. He will never be underrated or underexposed. The best he can hope for is to run it — his popularity and stardom — a good race.

What is sad is that she probably did not have any teeth and her jugs dragged the floor. Yuck. :lol:

Originally posted by N2racin88@Nov 3 2003, 08:04 AM
What is sad is that she probably did not have any teeth and her jugs dragged the floor. Yuck. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jr.'s fans rioting if he won the championship?

I realize that this is tounge-in-cheek but if the sport ever reaches that level, I think it would be time for me find something else to do with my time. :unsure:

Dang it, the one year that I don't go to Phoenix and I missed the real show. :D

If popularity won championships...Jr. would have ten of them.

Originally posted by TonyB@Nov 3 2003, 12:44 PM

“I think people cheer for us not because we win or lose; they cheer for us because of who we are. "
At least he acknowledges his name being his ticket to popularity. If it gets to the point where he either wins a championship or the most wins in any given year I will start cheering for anyone --anyone-- to win races. While I don't buy into the hype for the "Earnhardt Nation" I certainly don't fault those who do. I do however ask that when I go to a race that the drunken Jr. fans that I'm forced to sit next to and rub shoulders with all race long please refrain from making disparaging comments about my drivers (or any driver for that matter) and STOP FLIPPING ME AND MY FRIENDS THE FINGER. As you can tell I have lots of pent up anger from the different races I've been to and I find myself becoming very much like "them" as a result. I hate people who boo other drivers but I can't find it in myself to discourage people from booing one Dale Earnhardt Jr. Having said all that, let me congratulate Jr. as a driver for his win and I'm truly happy for those of his fans who are not obnoxious, insufferable pricks.

Originally posted by JG2018+Nov 3 2003, 01:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JG2018 @ Nov 3 2003, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TonyB@Nov 3 2003, 12:44 PM

“I think people cheer for us not because we win or lose; they cheer for us because of who we are. "
At least he acknowledges his name being his ticket to popularity. If it gets to the point where he either wins a championship or the most wins in any given year I will start cheering for anyone --anyone-- to win races. While I don't buy into the hype for the "Earnhardt Nation" I certainly don't fault those who do. I do however ask that when I go to a race that the drunken Jr. fans that I'm forced to sit next to and rub shoulders with all race long please refrain from making disparaging comments about my drivers (or any driver for that matter) and STOP FLIPPING ME AND MY FRIENDS THE FINGER. As you can tell I have lots of pent up anger from the different races I've been to and I find myself becoming very much like "them" as a result. I hate people who boo other drivers but I can't find it in myself to discourage people from booing one Dale Earnhardt Jr. Having said all that, let me congratulate Jr. as a driver for his win and I'm truly happy for those of his fans who are not obnoxious, insufferable pricks. [/b][/quote]
I also go to the races (both in Dover) and you're right about the drunken Jr. fans. They are always the most obnoxious, loud mouth fans around. You start to understand why other people call racing fans rednecks.
As for Jr. being like Elvis, a movie star and only lacks a movie, the other thing Jr. lacks is the talent to be a great actor. He is a great race car driver but actor sorry, can't see it.

Originally posted by nascar20+Nov 4 2003, 04:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nascar20 @ Nov 4 2003, 04:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -JG2018@Nov 3 2003, 01:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--TonyB
@Nov 3 2003, 12:44 PM

At least he acknowledges his name being his ticket to popularity. If it gets to the point where he either wins a championship or the most wins in any given year I will start cheering for anyone --anyone-- to win races. While I don't buy into the hype for the "Earnhardt Nation" I certainly don't fault those who do. I do however ask that when I go to a race that the drunken Jr. fans that I'm forced to sit next to and rub shoulders with all race long please refrain from making disparaging comments about my drivers (or any driver for that matter) and STOP FLIPPING ME AND MY FRIENDS THE FINGER. As you can tell I have lots of pent up anger from the different races I've been to and I find myself becoming very much like "them" as a result. I hate people who boo other drivers but I can't find it in myself to discourage people from booing one Dale Earnhardt Jr. Having said all that, let me congratulate Jr. as a driver for his win and I'm truly happy for those of his fans who are not obnoxious, insufferable pricks.
I also go to the races (both in Dover) and you're right about the drunken Jr. fans. They are always the most obnoxious, loud mouth fans around. You start to understand why other people call racing fans rednecks.
As for Jr. being like Elvis, a movie star and only lacks a movie, the other thing Jr. lacks is the talent to be a great actor. He is a great race car driver but actor sorry, can't see it. [/b][/quote]
I can't believe I'm about to do this...defend the Earnhart Jr. fans. :lol:

Most of the Jr. fans that were fans of his dad don't seem to act that way IMO. They are mature adults who I've been able to have constructive conversations with. It's the 'newbie' 15 to 25 year old fans that only started to like NASCAR because they've seen it on MTV.

Back
Top Bottom