long cautions today

S

smack500

It does not take 7 laps to get a plastic bag off the track. Did they make a deal with fox to extend cautions so they could get more comercials in?

Not only that a driver can just spin and keep going and they will run 5 - 7 laps of cautions. :angry:

ROTFL!!!!! You have all seen the same things as I have.
Depends on who is doing the spinning and who it may or
may not interfere with whether or not a caution is called!!!

:lol: :rolleyes: :D :lol: :p

I agree, it is possible the top 5 would've been in a different order if they'd run 7 or 8 laps instead of 4.

With the new rule about racing to the flag during cautions, there is at least one lap under caution so the running order at the time of the caution and the "Lucky Dog" or "Pardon" can be figured out. So now a little bitty spin can consume 5 or 6 laps instead of the old 4 or 5 laps. I've also noticed that NASCAR takes the time to put extra vehicles out on the track to check for safe racing conditions (sometimes they even put the jet blowers out to blow the excess rubber and debris off). I think its a good thing overall. But, I'm going to agree that sometimes the caution comes for an incident that really didn't cause a need for slowing that cars (single car spin with no impact against a wall and the spinner is out of the racing groove, etc). But, you need to remember NASCAR is under a lot of pressure to present a safe race............and the old adage "Better to err on the cautious side than to err on the dangerous side".

If I were Bobby Labonte I'd feel like I got robbed,there was absoulutely no reason for a caution flag. I dunno how many times I've seen that in Busch or Truck and have no caution thrown. Bobby Labonte got robbed IMO.

There's a huge difference in spinning out at Darlington and spinning out at the 1.5 milers.

Also by definition you are in the way at Darlington. They get around the place in 35 seconds or so and it's a very narrow track. It is hard to imagine a situation at Darlington where a spin wouldn't merit a caution.

Frequently at the cookie cutters, the field is by the spin before a flag can be thrown and it wouldn't produce safer racing to throw the flag.

I'd rather see them err on the side of safety and throw the flag.

Ok so if a car spins and their is no fluid coming from the car,and there is no debris on the track,they should throw the caution? And the spun car was clearly out of the racing groove.

That's being overly cautious IMO.

didnt 1 person spin and they did not use a caution though??

Also lets just add up the laps for the example of the trash bag
1 lap to get bag off track
1 lap for leaders to pit
1 lap for laped cars to pit
1 lap to get lucky dog out front and get cars in right order

thats a total of 4 laps yet it took them 7 laps to do it.

That's under ideal conditions, Smack. :) There might have been a problem determining where all the drivers should or should not be when the caution flew (add a lap), it's very possible it took more than your 1 lap to get the bag off the track and for the safety vehicle to clear the track (add another lap), and it's often (for as long as I can recall) that unless it's a quicky yellow there are at least a couple laps between the lap where the lap or more down cars pit and the call for one to go........and evidently they are calling it two to go now (new rule?). I think we are being just a tad on the nit-picky side here. :) A seven lap debris caution on a track the size of Darlington is not out of the ordinary (with the new racing to the flag rule in place).......Talladega, Daytona, Pocono, California, Michigan, Infineon, or Watkins Glen, yeah I would agree it would be rather delayed. But not on a mile and a half or shorter track.

That was just 1 example, and heck that example I used was the shortest caution they had all day.

Back
Top Bottom