B

bowtie

Posted on Wed, Oct. 22, 2003

Richard Childress has a shot
at a rare pairing of titles
Owner, driver championships are possible
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

Richard Childress Racing is closing in on a sweep in the NASCAR Busch Series.
Already far ahead in the race for the series' owner championship this season, RCR's full-time series driver, Ron Hornaday, has entered the thick of the drivers' championship hunt with just four of 34 races remaining.

Entering Saturday's Aaron's 312 at Atlanta Motor Speedway (1 p.m. Eastern, TNT), Hornaday trails series leader Brian Vickers by 40 points - well within striking distance.

Should Hornaday win the driver title and RCR's No. 21 team with drivers Kevin Harvick and Johnny Sauter win the owner title, RCR would take all the seats at the head table at the series' banquet in Orlando, Fla.

It would mark the first time in series history one owner won both titles with two different teams.

"Richard (Childress) told me when he hired me that he expected nothing less than a championship, and we are in a position to get him one," Hornaday said. "I'm sure all of us in the top five feel it right now, but at the same time, all of us know that this will come down to Homestead.

"One thing is for sure. I don't want to lose this championship. We have worked way too hard."

Honestly, the race I am looking forward to the most is the Busch Series Homestead race.

*New track.
*No one has even tested at the track.
*5 drivers who have a shot at the championship.
*Last race of the season.

To say this will be one of the most tension filled races is an understatement.

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Oct 22 2003, 12:52 PM
Honestly, the race I am looking forward to the most is the Busch Series Homestead race.

*New track.
*No one has even tested at the track.
*5 drivers who have a shot at the championship.
*Last race of the season.

To say this will be one of the most tension filled races is an understatement.
I second that statement, RobbyG.

The only thing that could throw a monkey wrench into it would be the complete collapse of some of the competitors between now and then.

*fingers crossed* it doesn't happen.

Vickers is going to be this season Champion and Coy Gibbs is going to be ROTY

Funny that both the Trucks and Busch use the same scoring system as Cup and that both these titles are coming down to the wire.

Fingers crossed also but what it boils down to now is winning races and just about the only way for anybody but the fastest car out there to win a race is to take chances and the greater the chance the greater the possibillity of failure.

This is not a game of survivior. This is going to be watching the cream rise to the top.

Smart money imo would be on RCR or HMS with HMS getting a slight advantage on the equipment/team end while RCR has the crafty veteran.

But the real deal is that on any given Sunday, and one of a bunch of Busch teams can secure the magic and take the checkers.

With that said I think race control will favor Vickers.

I am hoping that the Busch Championship and ROTY will be Brian Vickers.

GOOOOOOOOOOO Brian!!!!

Originally posted by wlfyk62@Oct 22 2003, 09:57 PM
Vickers is going to be this season Champion and Coy Gibbs is going to be ROTY
Is that the way your sources say it's going to happen? :p

I said it several weeks ago, and I'll say it again: David Green is going to pull this championship off.

Nope, Scott Riggs will win the Busch Series Championship. Hopefully :)

Back
Top Bottom