making races 300 miles

Absolutely not.

Only in NASCAR would you have fans asking for less of the sport they love. :confused: I've never heard of an NFL fan asking for a 45 minute game, MLB fan asking for 6 innings, NHL fan asking for 2 periods. Leave the length of the races alone. It's no secret what time these races are starting. Tune in an hour into the race and you'll get the shorter race you desire.

You might be surprised there are some in baseball asking for 7-inning games because the 9-inning games are approaching 3.5 hours. College football games have long been too long. They did mess with the clock procedures, but fans complained and they changed it back. But there is still complaining about length of games.

The only reason I'd ever be for shortening any more races is to make most of the race more exciting. How many times do we see the first 3/4 of the race be ho-hum and the last 1/4 be exciting because it was money time? I look at the truck races at Pocono as short as they are and drivers are going hard from the beginning. Having said that, having 2-hour races or timed races is just a step away from IndyCar. Do that and what's left of the long-time fan base will see that as the last straw and finally leave for good.

@ Charlie.

I'll look when I get back to my office.

I may have been drunk.

Need to fix the cars first...the low downforce isn't working as well as i'd hoped. The bead melting needs to be fixed, whether that's the Goodyear tires, setups, or whatever. IMO, the cars need to be raised up off the track...they are basically aero-glued to the surface like the active-suspension days of F1. Getting some daylight under them couldn't hurt anything.

Need to fix the cars first...the low downforce isn't working as well as i'd hoped. The bead melting needs to be fixed, whether that's the Goodyear tires, setups, or whatever. IMO, the cars need to be raised up off the track...they are basically aero-glued to the surface like the active-suspension days of F1. Getting some daylight under them couldn't hurt anything.
Bead melting can be fixed by staying off the brakes.

1000 laps at Bristol would only take about 5 hours...typical length of a longer Coca-Cola 600
500 laps takes over 3 hours now, and that's for a race with a less-than-average number of cautions. 1000 laps would take more than twice as long because the drivers are going to be getting increasingly tired , causing more cautions (assuming the drivers don't revolt at the very idea). You're likely looking at 7 hours.

Maybe make the xfinity races 0 miles! what an embrassment to Sam Ard, Steve
Grisson and the Greens

how would you feel about that?

isntead of having races 400 or 500 miles make em 300 miles.

i'd keep daytona 500, coca cola 600 and southern 500 though due to the history and status

but i think 300 mile races would build up urgency and make the race much more watchable

plus the days of blown engines, piston rods, transmissions are basically over. you hardly ever see that anymore

i know i dont wanna watch 400 miles at michigan or dover or 500 miles at bristol anymore

thoughts?
Thoughts, if you dont have the attention span to sit through a 500 mile race, than maybe NASCAR isnt for you , and you should move on.

Finally , after a long day working people are arriving home from work and opening up racing-forums . Their comment . What is this crap ?

Please no! One of the great things that still exists in NASCAR is the length of the races. Longer races better test the endurance of both car and driver as well bring the pit crews/strategy into play more.
Amen, Brother. One of the unique things about Nascar is that the races are essentially endurance races but run as a series of shorter sprints. And the duration of each sprint segment is random and unknown. That introduces ebbs and flows and strategy elements that I find fascinating. I've been told no one cares about that, fans just want more of the obvious action and wrecking on track. Poppycock! I don't want the more subtle aspects of getting to the front and staying there to be watered down or hidden. That's why we have analysts on the TV broadcasts.

Well I would, but I've only gone there since it became 400
We went to Dover for a long, long time. Many more of the 500 mile races than the ones that were dropped to 400. We didn't quit going because of that. It was because of the spring date move. It used to coincide with the end of the school year which was great for the beginning of a summer vacation. We went a couple times during the school year but would always have to make it more of a weekend trip. It's really a shame. Back in the day, there were lots of families there. That all changed with the date move.

how would you feel about that?

isntead of having races 400 or 500 miles make em 300 miles.

i'd keep daytona 500, coca cola 600 and southern 500 though due to the history and status

but i think 300 mile races would build up urgency and make the race much more watchable

plus the days of blown engines, piston rods, transmissions are basically over. you hardly ever see that anymore

i know i dont wanna watch 400 miles at michigan or dover or 500 miles at bristol anymore

thoughts?

The tracks are the problem, not the race distance.

Back
Top Bottom