Will Monster Allow for The Next Great Rivalry?

M

MarcWiley

The title is pretty much the entirety of my thought here, but with Monster being an "edgy" brand, does anyone think that will let a little more of the "boys have at it" mentality return to the sport? The years with Brad vs. Carl and Kyle vs. Kevin made for some quite entertaining moments, if I recall.

Yes, I hope so. It would be small compensation for the other changes they want to force down our throats.

I think it all depends on what the definition of a rivalry is. If by rivalry you mean the kind Dale and Rusty had I doubt it but if you mean the tawdry type where drivers get pissed off at each other and take turns wrecking each other for a few weeks it is entirely possible. I sure hope it doesn't come to that as grown men that play hockey and football beat and bang on each other all game and are cordial with each other. On the other hand you put divas in a 3500 pound car and they go ape**** if someone does something they don't like and behave like Batam Roosters when the race is over. It is actually embarrassing all round even if the the parties and spectators are unaware of it.

The title is pretty much the entirety of my thought here, but with Monster being an "edgy" brand, does anyone think that will let a little more of the "boys have at it" mentality return to the sport? The years with Brad vs. Carl and Kyle vs. Kevin made for some quite entertaining moments, if I recall.
But it wasn't racing was it? Most people want better racing NOT WWE

But it wasn't racing was it? Most people want better racing NOT WWE
That's probably fair. Kyle vs. Kevin resulted in a few wrecked race cars but they also just were super hard on each other, all the time, even when it didn't result in a wreck. Carl vs Brad was straight up WWE level insane, I'll grant you that uncontested.

I do not see how Monster would have any say in it what so ever.
Maybe, maybe not. But the Winston era had more genuine rivalries and then Nextel/Sprint came along and suddenly it was all about cleaning up the sport and making it into this polished, corporate show. Am I totally crazy to think that Monster might want to let these guy show a little more personality & color if that's what gets people to pay attention?

You have 40 TYPE A personalities racing in close proximity to each other for the same piece of asphalt, trust me, the personalities will and always do come out pretty quick without any help at all. :D

More than boys have at it, NASCAR needs to come up with a way for better on track racing. Very little passing happens on track and cars make up track positions during pit stops instead of on the race track.

If 'next great rivalry' means between NASCAR and a rival series built on legitimate racing, then hopefully.

I think it all depends on what the definition of a rivalry is. If by rivalry you mean the kind Dale and Rusty had I doubt it but if you mean the tawdry type where drivers get pissed off at each other and take turns wrecking each other for a few weeks it is entirely possible.

What the heck is the difference, honestly? What was the Earnhardt - Waltrip rivalry but guys wrecking each other back and forth and exchanging words to the media?

What the heck is the difference, honestly? What was the Earnhardt - Waltrip rivalry but guys wrecking each other back and forth and exchanging words to the media?

I don't recall any of the old school guys behaving in ways Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Denny Hamlin, Tony Stewart and the Busch brothers have in recent years but memories fade.

There are people, probably more than I care to know, that go in for the low brow Jerry Springer kind of stuff but I am not one of them. Jimmie Johnson has shown you can be a complete pro that is focused, passionate, and driven to win without all the elementary school BS.

I don't recall any of the old school guys behaving in ways Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Denny Hamlin, Tony Stewart and the Busch brothers have in recent years but memories fade.

There are people, probably more than I care to know, that go in for the low brow Jerry Springer kind of stuff but I am not one of them. Jimmie Johnson has shown you can be a complete pro that is focused, passionate, and driven to win without all the elementary school BS.

Nobody likes Jimmie Johnson though.

Back
Top Bottom