media members questioning talladega

jasn88cubs

Team Owner
seems like multiple media members (gluck, dustin, hembree) are questioning teh safety of racing at talladega

RACING IS SUPPOSE TO BE DANGEROUS!

If you don't like Talladega no one is forcing you to cover it, go find another job

Racing while dangerous isn't suppose to be a wreck fest. This is the self imposed best racing series in the world with the best drivers in the world, yet 4 races a year they run a 200mph demolition derby. Pack racing is ****. Fans who support pack racing for the big wrecks are the lowest kind IMHO. If you want to see a derby go to your local track on a Saturday night.

The problem with NASCAR media is that they try to play the role of an expert, and they usually aren't. Just listened to Pistone and Bagley interview Moody on The Morning Drive. Blind & blind leading the blind. Stupid.

Not a big deal IMO. They write about the sport and have opinions like we all do. There are a number of people here that question safety as well. There's room for all of us.

be interested in hearing what you thought about the wrecks dpk...I like plate racing and I know you do too...to me the wrecks seemed excessive but that is plate racing

Yesterday was usual as far as the wrecking went --- at least for me. Yes, there have been "big ones" in the past, but not like Sunday.
I still think the drivers don't have a good grip(pun intended) on what this new aero-package needs on these big tracks.
I think they are still trying to set the cars up drive them like they did in the past, and it just doesn't work with this new aero.

be interested in hearing what you thought about the wrecks dpk...I like plate racing and I know you do too...to me the wrecks seemed excessive but that is plate racing
Yeah, I'm still a big fan of the plate tracks. Sure, hate to see wreck of that magnitude but we'll have that especially when the weather dictates the racing. There was a sense of urgency from the drop of the green to the official race mark of the half way point. From that point on, it was thought by many that the race could be over at every moment. Two, three & four wide green to checker was the norm this past weekend. That's something that we haven't been seeing here for a long time.

They've got to be looking at a way to keep these cars on the ground. No doubt in my mind that is exactly what they are working on. I think this past weekend will only speed up that process.

Yesterday was usual as far as the wrecking went --- at least for me. Yes, there have been "big ones" in the past, but not like Sunday.
I still think the drivers don't have a good grip(pun intended) on what this new aero-package needs on these big tracks.
I think they are still trying to set the cars up drive them like they did in the past, and it just doesn't work with this new aero.
I didn't watch the pre show so I may have missed the aero talk but aren't they still running the old packages at Daytona and Talladega? That's the impression that I had.

Yeah, I'm still a big fan of the plate tracks. Sure, hate to see wreck of that magnitude but we'll have that especially when the weather dictates the racing. There was a sense of urgency from the drop of the green to the official race mark of the half way point. From that point on, it was thought by many that the race could be over at every moment. Two, three & four wide green to checker was the norm this past weekend. That's something that we haven't been seeing here for a long time.

They've got to be looking at a way to keep these cars on the ground. No doubt in my mind that is exactly what they are working on. I think this past weekend will only speed up that process.

Thats what Patrick said too...it was urgent all day and thats not the norm.....

I didn't watch the pre show so I may have missed the aero talk but aren't they still running the old packages at Daytona and Talladega? That's the impression that I had.
Yes, they are. Same setup for the plate tracks for the past 2 years. Fear of flying.

People love pack racing, but hate the wrecks. Then we go to Bristol and everyone complains there's not enough dump and run. Typical NASCAR fans.

Where is the happy medium?

People were irate over the follow the leader train around the top that we saw last spring there, now when they actually mix it up and race hard we're displeased too?

The plates aren't coming off. It would have happened by now.

People were irate over the follow the leader train around the top that we saw last spring there, now when they actually mix it up and race hard we're displeased too?

Not so long ago the fastest/handling cars were able to separate from the rest of the field. There was still pack racing involved, but they never ran in a pack for 500 miles like they do now.

There have been several extreme wrecks over the past few years - particularly at the end of the races.

I'm not a huge fan of demo derbies like what we saw yesterday but I'm also not a fan of the single file follow the leader which we have seen our fair share of lately as well.

NASCAR will never appease the masses - they just need to focus on staying ahead of safety. Safer barriers on every single wall that can receive contact, eliminate walls that protrude out at odd angles in the infield, and continue to upgrade fencing. Costly for sure but they owe it their drivers and frankly I think they have done an okay job when they are staying ahead of things.

I don't get the big deal about it. I would say about half these races end up with this many wrecks. I think the thing that was unusual is the number of roll overs. When I first say kenseth start to flip I gasped. I thought his car was headed air borne toward the inside fence. That scared me. what wasnt covered on the broadcast was the hit danica took. go back and see that. she took a wicked hit. other than the roll overs this was a pretty typical talledega race.

I enjoy daytona and talladega

kansas thsi saturday? nah ill miss it and wont even care

There are several creditable sources describing which aero package is used where. It's a poor practice to depend on one.

According to the talking heads its been the same for a while

Gotta blame some of the carnage on the threat of rain the teams were under for most of the race. Still typical pack racing in the end.

Yeah...the weather (and almost constant threat of rain) basically made it 188 laps of "go time". Usually they tend to cruise for a good part of the race and the wreck(s) come late.

Two things that would likely cut down wrecks dramatically, especially at super speedways like Daytona and Talledega:

1) No bump drafting or pushing the car in front of you. Other than incidental contact, if your bumper makes contact with the car in front of you and race officials deem it was an attempt to gain an advantage, a drive-through penalty will be assessed. If it happens during the last lap of a race, violators will be penalized ten finishing positions. This rule will apply to all racetracks on the NASCAR circuit. Once drivers get used to the idea of no bump drafting or pushing, violations will be few and far between.

2) No blocking. I hate blocking because it limits passing, and in my opinion passing is the most exciting part of racing. Under the no blocking rule, if a car pulls out in an obvious attempt to pass another car, the car being passed must hold their lane position. Any attempt by the car being passed to hinder the passing car will result in a drive-through penalty. If it happens during the last lap of a race, violators will be penalized ten finishing positions. This rule will apply to all racetracks on the NASCAR circuit. Once drivers get used to the idea of no blocking or pushing, violations will be few and far between.

Drivers should be reminded that it's the fans that make NASCAR racing possible, and the more passing that goes on during races the more exciting the NASCAR product will be, which will in turn draw more fans, which is good for the sport. Drivers should also be reminded that what goes around comes around, and that while the no blocking rule might at times cause them to lose positions or maybe even a race win, there will be other times that the no blocking rule will work to their advantage and cause them to gain positions and maybe even a race win. It all evens out in the end.

The technology exists right now to let these cars race in packs at 200 mph without wrecking, but how far are we willing to compromise the integrity of the sport to get there? You could allow stability management systems, driver-to-driver communication, and collision warning sensors at plate tracks and you'd probably eliminate "the big one", if that's what fans really want. All those technologies are common on stock cars, but I doubt most NASCAR fans would want the sport going in that direction.

I'd like see team communications at the very least....

The media members are just echoing what the drivers are saying. Chris Buescher's look and reaction when he left the infield care center spoke volumes.

The problem with NASCAR media is that they try to play the role of an expert, and they usually aren't. Just listened to Pistone and Bagley interview Moody on The Morning Drive. Blind & blind leading the blind. Stupid.

Expertise varies. Dave Moody is a car owner. Pete Pistone and Mike Bagley have covered the sport for years. For the people covering this sport, the drivers aren't just objects and storylines, they're family.

The fans in the stands who enjoy this pack racing **** have nothing invested in the sport, nothing at all. All they're doing is saying those who have literally invested their whole life in the sport should man up, or something.

There's a difference between some crashes at a short track and three cars rolling over. I mean, Kyle Busch almost got killed in this crap plate racing last year.

Furthermore, the media's speaking up and saying that the drivers aren't saying because the drivers aren't allowed to speak out against NASCAR or the racing.

The solution is to tear the banking down at Daytona or Talladega. Or, they could race the road courses at those tracks. Or tear them down and build short tracks, which gets my vote.

The solution is to tear the banking down at Daytona or Talladega. Or, they could race the road courses at those tracks. Or tear them down and build short tracks, which gets my vote.
Is that a solution or an outlandish fantasy?

You want them to demolish one of the most historical tracks in the sport (Daytona), or at the very least completely deface it and strip it of its character - the same character that it was built with and makes it what it is - because why?

Nobody is traveling from across the globe to come watch a short track race at DIS. Nor will they to watch them run the road course.

There's a -10% chance of any of that happening. Daytona and Talladega are too big of a big draw.

You want them to demolish one of the most historical tracks in the sport (Daytona), or at the very least completely deface it and strip it of its character - the same character that it was built with and makes it what it is - because why?

The New York Yankees ballpark in the Bronx was torn down and rebuilt. Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was torn down. Other ballparks and football stadiums have been "defaced" of their character over the years due to safety improvements and modernization/upgrades.

The New York Yankees ballpark in the Bronx was torn down and rebuilt. Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was torn down. Other ballparks and football stadiums have been "defaced" of their character over the years due to safety improvements and modernization/upgrades.

Bad example. 90% of the structure of a baseball or other stick and ball stadium doesn't affect the actual sport on the field. Even with Baseball, the most varied of stick and ball stadiums, the new Yankees stadium is essentially a carbon copy of the field with modern enhancements to the fan amenities while places like Wriggly and Fenway have a -100% chance of being changed up. For a real comparison, look at Golf. What would people say if they tore up and replaced Augusta National or god forbid St. Andrews? People would go ape **** if they demolished the place where the very sport was invented 400 years ago.

You're referring to the structure itself, not the surface. And it's the surface that makes Daytona, not the structure.

Daytona just modernized their facilities, and they are superb, and the draw is out of this world. So let's tear it back down and lose tons of money to make it a short track that way people can not show up. I really don't understand your angle but you're more than entitled to it.

I have faith in NASCAR to figure it out, yes they do some questionable things at times but they are smart enough to avoid any of this tearing down of race tracks. I mean I literally just met a father & son out watching the race yesterday that were in town (Orlando) from NC so that they could tour and do the ride along at Daytona today. People go there for a reason.

Is that a solution or an outlandish fantasy?

Nobody is traveling from across the globe to come watch a short track race at DIS. Nor will they to watch them run the road course.
The character it was built with is out of step with the cars of today. 'Tradition' is a lousy reason not to keep up with the times, especially where safety is concerned.

Run the road course.

Would everyone be overreacting and clamoring for Martinsville to be demolished if a driver got killed there? Truex had a nasty wreck there 2 years ago that could have possibly been fatal if not for the SAFER barriers. The point is that this sport is inherently dangerous and tragedy can strike at ANY track. All the drivers signed up for this sport knowing the risks that are involved. I'm all for safety improvements, but not at the cost of eliminating the history and entertainment of this sport. Leave Daytona and Talladega alone. If you don't like it, then don't watch.

Back
Top Bottom