media members questioning talladega

One nice thing though about Talladega (for us fans in my experience) is that you can watch the "train" go by, then reach for a beer or have a short conversation while the cars are out on the "back-40"...then here they all come again. I know that lots of people bring binoculars and other technology - but at the few Talladega races I have been too I enjoyed the break between "go-by's"...of course I'm a social animal and like to yack.

Never forget going to the Talladega dirt track race with a friend - constant noise - you couldn't get a comment in edge-ways (plus I had to wash my shirt three times to get all the red dirt out of it and it fell out of my ears for a week :^)...

Wow...Larry Mac was just on Racehub saying don't change a damn thing. Said they're the 4 best races we have all year long. Pretty shocking to hear coming from him.

Were peole complaining 20 years ago about daytona and talladega being too dangerous or has the people in the sport just gone soft?

When Rusty had that awful flip in 93 I remember him talking about the ned for roof flaps nto to get rid of the track

hmmm

I think another small part of it is - a lot of these teams realize that their best chance at a victory is at a Talladega race...in the old days, of course they wanted to win...but now it's not only a win, it's a golden ticket to the Chase (and big $$ and maybe better sponsorship long-term).

It was just a "Perfect Storm" (no pun intended) since it didn't storm until later. Threatening weather making it "go-time" much earlier and for a much longer time, wannabe's being aggressive, a few "hard feelings" still brewing, and to be honest, the combination of safety features that NASCAR has thankfully added over the years might just tend to make the drivers more aggressive (in the back of their minds).

I don't know - it seems like it was a lot of factors coming together for a wild race. Thank heavens nobody was seriously injured.

Would everyone be overreacting and clamoring for Martinsville to be demolished if a driver got killed there? Truex had a nasty wreck there 2 years ago that could have possibly been fatal if not for the SAFER barriers. The point is that this sport is inherently dangerous and tragedy can strike at ANY track. All the drivers signed up for this sport knowing the risks that are involved. I'm all for safety improvements, but not at the cost of eliminating the history and entertainment of this sport. Leave Daytona and Talladega alone. If you don't like it, then don't watch.

I didn't realize terrible crashes happened in every Martinsville race like they do at Daytona and Talladega.

seems like multiple media members (gluck, dustin, hembree) are questioning teh safety of racing at talladega

RACING IS SUPPOSE TO BE DANGEROUS!

If you don't like Talladega no one is forcing you to cover it, go find another job

That's the problem with everyone getting a printing press. Sooner or later the thinkers get to challenge the Brian's dogma, and the righteousness of his most benevolent dictatormenship.

Hopefully Brian's just but smiteful repercussions will purify them. Until then all faithful Nascarians should compassionately shun them, for the good of their weaker souls.

Bye and Bye they will thank us for our stedfast faith.

We have 1 plate race with more wrecks than usual and the media is having a knee jerk reaction, from what I've observed. Only thing I don't like is Chris Buescher's car going airborne from an impact, thank god he wasn't going into a catch fence. I personally want the stands at the plate tracks raised or backed up.

One nice thing though about Talladega (for us fans in my experience) is that you can watch the "train" go by, then reach for a beer or have a short conversation while the cars are out on the "back-40"...then here they all come again. I know that lots of people bring binoculars and other technology - but at the few Talladega races I have been too I enjoyed the break between "go-by's"...of course I'm a social animal and like to yack.

Never forget going to the Talladega dirt track race with a friend - constant noise - you couldn't get a comment in edge-ways (plus I had to wash my shirt three times to get all the red dirt out of it and it fell out of my ears for a week :^)...

Back in the day my Talladega backstretch binoculars was on Kim Burton. They would dissappear off of turn two, flip to Kim, hear them nearing three and back to the racing.

True story.

The Martinsville danger, to Talladega, Daytona, or RP analogy is apples to oranges.

Unlike Martinsville the RP tracks have real Lemans 1955 potential. I raced some my self and driver danger never came close to making me want to stop. Only the money I didnt have stopped me.

But I never want to be associated with any race car making a soft landing into the stands. It is the only racing deal breaker I can imagine. I also believe that is an internal nightmare that many of the drivers deal with at the RP tracks.

But it is what it is, the folks that police such matters are making actually owning too much of the money making apparatus to ever look back.

Finally as much as I despise Brian, I hope they always get away with the insanity. I would never want see the carnage, or see him suffer the ramifications. It would be a living hell with no winners, only losers.

i'm pretty sure one of my first posts on this board so many years ago was a rant about plate races. cause they are not races. entertainment? sort of. like when the gladiators met the lions.

but i'm sure they are not going away. so i'm resigned to the fact that many enjoy the disaster in waiting. and I only hope no one gets hurt. and that my fantasy picks aren't taken out by another drivers mistake.

Horror of horrors, Danica hand the wind knocked out of her! Media is trying to create an issue where there is no longer one. People in the Talladega infield are in MUCH more danger than the drivers nowadays.

For the people covering this sport, the drivers aren't just objects and storylines, they're family.

Dunno my man, I have heard all three of those "journalists" state emphatically that all they are interested in each and every week are storylines. Pistone, Bagley, and Moody spend 0 time discussing the technical aspects of the sport. The morning drive is nothing but a bunch of 7th grade giggling, and Moody makes a living demeaning well intended callers. The guys he screws with the most are baited in a way this board has never known. They are not experts. I will go one step further, the freakin' media has baited these drivers into the rule NASCAR created. NASCAR can try to control the drivers, but they have nothing on the media. The media created this ****, and now they don't like it when a driver (like Kyle Busch) says "**** it!" and won't talk, or makes a mockery of the pressers which involve questions from people who are either stirring it up (Pockrass), or those who know dick (the aforementioned three stooges).

Dunno my man, I have heard all three of those "journalists" state emphatically that all they are interested in each and every week are storylines. Pistone, Bagley, and Moody spend 0 time discussing the technical aspects of the sport. The morning drive is nothing but a bunch of 7th grade giggling, and Moody makes a living demeaning well intended callers. The guys he screws with the most are baited in a way this board has never known. They are not experts. I will go one step further, the freakin' media has baited these drivers into the rule NASCAR created. NASCAR can try to control the drivers, but they have nothing on the media. The media created this sh!t, and now they don't like it when a driver (like Kyle Busch) says "**** it!" and won't talk, or makes a mockery of the pressers which involve questions from people who are either stirring it up (Pockrass), or those who know dick (the aforementioned three stooges).
I despise that fact that Fox Sports got in bed with Moody, and I fast forward through his segment on RH, while I have never listened to his show( I can, chose not too) from what I hear about him, and him berating his callers, I have no respect for the fool, or most of the mouth breeders that report on NASCAR any more, they are just talking heads at this point, and only a few have the balls to call it like the see it( so many fear losing their "hard card")

I despise that fact that Fox Sports got in bed with Moody, and I fast forward through his segment on RH, while I have never listened to his show( I can, chose not too) from what I hear about him, and him berating his callers, I have no respect for the fool, or most of the mouth breeders that report on NASCAR any more, they are just talking heads at this point, and only a few have the balls to call it like the see it( so many fear losing their "hard card")

I subscribe to NASCAR Radio because I want to know what is going on in the world of NASCAR as soon as something hits. My lunch starts at the beginning of Moody's show. He and his idiot producer Swedelson talk about poop, weight loss, make fun of diabetics, and their dicks to start the show when I can listen. I would say that it's eighth grade humor, but I think I was funnier than that in the eighth grade. It is unreal that there isn't any quality control. Freakin' horrible. I don't mind edgy humor at all to the point of vulgarity, but when it is stupid, it's just that--stupid.

Dunno my man, I have heard all three of those "journalists" state emphatically that all they are interested in each and every week are storylines. Pistone, Bagley, and Moody spend 0 time discussing the technical aspects of the sport. The morning drive is nothing but a bunch of 7th grade giggling, and Moody makes a living demeaning well intended callers. The guys he screws with the most are baited in a way this board has never known. They are not experts. I will go one step further, the freakin' media has baited these drivers into the rule NASCAR created. NASCAR can try to control the drivers, but they have nothing on the media. The media created this sh!t, and now they don't like it when a driver (like Kyle Busch) says "**** it!" and won't talk, or makes a mockery of the pressers which involve questions from people who are either stirring it up (Pockrass), or those who know dick (the aforementioned three stooges).

The drivers won't talk about the racing because NASCAR will fine them if they are critical of it, and they have been fining them for 10 years.

It was Marty Smith and the rest of the media who lowered the boom on NASCAR and the media after Kyle Busch was injured at Daytona.

Breaking..... This just in.....

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America, from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea.

Racing is dangerous!

Wrecks happen. Sometimes more than other times. Sometimes less. This is a dangerous sport. I knew that from the first time I watched it. The drivers knew that from the first time that they climbed behind the wheel. From what I saw this past weekend the safety measures put place did a fantastic job. Drivers walked away from every incident that I saw unlike what may have been years ago in this sport. If you or the media want to figure something out, figure out how to keep a spinning car on the ground. That's a change worth spending time on.

I really hope NASCAR is turning a deaf ear on all of this Talladega talk. That's one area that NASCAR took in a wrong direction. It has never been as good as it was when it was a true dictatorship. Listening to the fans has taken this sport in a direction that has made it less appealing to it's core base and most certainly to a new fan base. I hope this trend will cease but I'm afraid it will not. Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

This overreaction to last weeks race will pass like last night's burrito once something new comes along.

Breaking..... This just in.....

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America, from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea.

Racing is dangerous!

Wrecks happen. Sometimes more than other times. Sometimes less. This is a dangerous sport. I knew that from the first time I watched it. The drivers knew that from the first time that they climbed behind the wheel. From what I saw this past weekend the safety measures put place did a fantastic job. Drivers walked away from every incident that I saw unlike what may have been years ago in this sport. If you or the media want to figure something out, figure out how to keep a spinning car on the ground. That's a change worth spending time on.

I really hope NASCAR is turning a deaf ear on all of this Talladega talk. That's one area that NASCAR took in a wrong direction. It has never been as good as it was when it was a true dictatorship. Listening to the fans has taken this sport in a direction that has made it less appealing to it's core base and most certainly to a new fan base. I hope this trend will cease but I'm afraid it will not. Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

This overreaction to last weeks race will pass like last night's burrito once something new comes along.
like danica win @ kansas :D

Hambone has an idea:

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/05...orne-at-talladega/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

“You have to slow us way down — like 50 mph – or you’re going to have to let us run 250 there and get spread out,”

I know which two tracks I'll never go to again if they choose the "slow us down to 140-150 mph" option. Good grief. Yeah let's go to a 2.5 mile super speedway to watch them crawl around it at snail-pace.

Two things that would likely cut down wrecks dramatically, especially at super speedways like Daytona and Talledega:

1) No bump drafting or pushing the car in front of you. Other than incidental contact, if your bumper makes contact with the car in front of you and race officials deem it was an attempt to gain an advantage, a drive-through penalty will be assessed. If it happens during the last lap of a race, violators will be penalized ten finishing positions. This rule will apply to all racetracks on the NASCAR circuit. Once drivers get used to the idea of no bump drafting or pushing, violations will be few and far between.

2) No blocking. I hate blocking because it limits passing, and in my opinion passing is the most exciting part of racing. Under the no blocking rule, if a car pulls out in an obvious attempt to pass another car, the car being passed must hold their lane position. Any attempt by the car being passed to hinder the passing car will result in a drive-through penalty. If it happens during the last lap of a race, violators will be penalized ten finishing positions. This rule will apply to all racetracks on the NASCAR circuit. Once drivers get used to the idea of no blocking or pushing, violations will be few and far between.

Drivers should be reminded that it's the fans that make NASCAR racing possible, and the more passing that goes on during races the more exciting the NASCAR product will be, which will in turn draw more fans, which is good for the sport. Drivers should also be reminded that what goes around comes around, and that while the no blocking rule might at times cause them to lose positions or maybe even a race win, there will be other times that the no blocking rule will work to their advantage and cause them to gain positions and maybe even a race win. It all evens out in the end.

With those rules in place I would be gone. What your trying to do is prevent people from being stupid and in case you don't know, "You can't cure stupid"

Hambone has an idea:

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/05...orne-at-talladega/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

“You have to slow us way down — like 50 mph – or you’re going to have to let us run 250 there and get spread out,”

I know which two tracks I'll never go to again if they choose the "slow us down to 140-150 mph" option. Good grief. Yeah let's go to a 2.5 mile super speedway to watch them crawl around it at snail-pace.
I like Hambone's idea. Let them drive as fast as they have the balls to drive it.
Won't be long before there is no contact.

Where is the happy medium?

People were irate over the follow the leader train around the top that we saw last spring there, now when they actually mix it up and race hard we're displeased too?

The plates aren't coming off. It would have happened by now.

I think it is past time for much smarter people than your's truly to figure it out. Most of the plate stuff is as dull as dishwater.

I like Hambone's idea. Let them drive as fast as they have the balls to drive it.
Won't be long before there is no contact.
I like that end of it, but he suggests the slow way is the best way. Which is absurd.

Heard a pretty crazy stat on NASCAR Radio last night...of the 40 drivers that started Sunday's race, only 5 of them were not involved in any incidents.
Ty Dillon being one of those. He did a great job for Tony and the boys considering that crazy situation.

JMO but it seems to me that much of the medias function in this day and age is not so much to inform and enlighten more than it is to titillate and troll. I don't know how all this social media crap works but it seems to me that far to big a premium is put on the number of hits and likes something gets. Often times a headline is either completely off the mark and/or salacious and bears zero resemblance to the story or what actually happened or the story is skewed toward something insignificant.

What if they remove the plates and run smaller engines?
I've been wondering about this myself as there aren't any tracks left that aren't restricted in some form, whether it be Daytona and Talladega with the restrictor plates or everywhere else with the tapered spacers. I figured the spacers were a stopgap until they find some sort of new, smaller engine configuration in the future. Back in 2014 when they were discussing how to reduce HP Chevy and Toyota were pushing for 5.0L engines and Ford wanted the spacer that we wound up with.

Some serious SiriusXM NASCAR Channel host hate going on. I guess I'm part of the 8th grade crowd as I find the channel entertaining. That channel is the only reason that I subscribe to the service. It has been since its inception on XM Radio.

Part of the entertainment value for me is either agreeing/disagreeing with the hosts/callers of the various shows. I like hearing the opinions on there just like I like to read them on here. I could listen to that channel all day long..... And I do.

I've been wondering about this myself as there aren't any tracks left that aren't restricted in some form, whether it be Daytona and Talladega with the restrictor plates or everywhere else with the tapered spacers. I figured the spacers were a stopgap until they find some sort of new, smaller engine configuration in the future. Back in 2014 when they were discussing how to reduce HP Chevy and Toyota were pushing for 5.0L engines and Ford wanted the spacer that we wound up with.

I think any form of racing where a driver with a superior vehicle can't pull out to pass on his own or where it takes 4 miles or so to get up to speed is completely daft. I can understand plates being used as a short term stop gap until a proper solution was crafted but that is as far as it goes. I understand that in many cases Nascar has a tough job to do but the people running to show appear to be imbeciles that are incapable of finding proactive solutions so they always fall back on reactive compromises.

Some serious SiriusXM NASCAR Channel host hate going on. I guess I'm part of the 8th grade crowd as I find the channel entertaining. That channel is the only reason that I subscribe to the service. It has been since its inception on XM Radio.

Part of the entertainment value for me is either agreeing/disagreeing with the hosts/callers of the various shows. I like hearing the opinions on there just like I like to read them on here. I could listen to that channel all day long..... And I do.

I have respect for you and some other fans I am aware of that enjoy Nascar talk on over the air and satellite radio. I listen to the radio about 5 or 6 times a year and the only station I listen to is CKLW which is an AM station out of Windsor Ontario. Reception isn't always good but I like hearing my countrymen and enjoy hearing callers weigh in on local topics and hearing what concerns them. I think if Nascar radio is 8th grade then what I listen to is probably about 2nd grade.

I wonder if cutting the field to 30-35 cars could be a plausible "solution"

I bought a new car recently and it came with Sirius XM, first time I've ever had it and I've always wanted it so that I could have NASCAR radio. I love it. I'll be subscribing once my free year is up just to keep that channel.

I don't like how the morning program babbles about a lot of non-nascar subjects, but I do like the hosts. Dave Moody doesn't sit well with me in the afternoons though. for some reason that guy cannot help himself from talking down to or mocking his callers when they call in with what he feels like is a poorly formulated idea or opinion.

Back
Top Bottom