Michigan Aero Testing

frow78

Team Owner
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...an-testing-sprint-cup-series-kenny-bruce.html

Perfectly summed up by one Nascar.com user-
Dear oh dear, NASCAR. Just listen to the drivers! Everybody knows that the racing is poor on the intermediate tracks because the cars are TOO aero dependent. Clean air is too important and when you're close behind another car, the dirty air causes you to lose downforce, so you can't race closely to the car in front. The solution is not MORE downforce and less power. That makes the cars even more aero dependent and even easier to control! Why can they not see the obvious?

Do not alter the amount of power. Its fine. Get rid of half of the downforce. That stupid front splitter. The rear spoiler. Raise the cars up off the ground a little bit. They'll be slower in the corners, but at least they can then race closely without complaining about dirty air. The racing will be better. The cars will be tougher to control. It's what almost every fan wants to see. The easier and more boring you continue to make it, the more your attendances and ratings will continue to drop. Listen to what the drivers are trying to tell you and come back in 2015 with a low downforce car that puts on a great show for us.

If they go with their 'Prime' rules package, then expect some of the worst racing you've ever seen, where you can't even follow another car within a few car lengths.

It all comes down to the heavy CoT frame, and we're stuck with that for the time being. They should have went to a larger tire instead of the aero crap, and now it's too late.

Jesus H. Christ...

Hey Nascar, if you love parades so much, why not just air the Macys Thanksgiving parade on Sundays? Might be a better show then we will see with these proposed rule changes next year. zZzZz

Btw..here's a hint, less spoiler and no splitter;)

I thought this year was the best year of racing I've seen in a long time.

I agree. This year the racing's the best it's been in 10 years. Why are they trying to change it?
It would be 10x better if the downforce was reduced by lifting the car up off the track & the shovel splitter was removed.

It would be 10x better if the downforce was reduced by lifting the car up off the track & the shovel splitter was removed.

I agree that they could improve it, which would be awesome. But the entire post in the OP seems like one bitchfest acting like the racing is awful. When instead, it has been really good and competitive this year.

I agree that they could improve it, which would be awesome. But the entire post in the OP seems like one bitchfest acting like the racing is awful. When instead, it has been really good and competitive this year.
Because youre a jeff gordon fan. If he was having a similar year to past years youd be singing a different tune.

Because youre a jeff gordon fan. If he was having a similar year to past years youd be singing a different tune.

Disagree 100%. Sorry. I'm a Jeff Gordon fan, but that doesn't change the fact that I watch the whole race. The result doesn't change the enjoyment of the race for me. It just enhances it.

Will the results of mondays test be made public?

@nateryan

In addition to aero, three horsepower configurations being tested: 850, 800, 750.

Plates used to achieve horsepower reduction, but there would be a more elegant solution used if NASCAR goes in that direction next year.

Tapered spacers NASCAR is using today to help simulate reduced horsepower.

BvVs7TJIIAAyUS-.jpg:large

Last test downforce reduction? Seems a fair number of drivers in consensus this is right direction rather than less hp”

@odsteve

Getting ready for last session at 6:20. Will run two 10 lap "races" to close it out. Lots of data to review next couple of days

We all know that restrictor plates are a bad way of reducing HP and produce bad racing. Don't know why they are even considering using plates instead of changing the EFI software configuration.

wonder why they don't consider different packages for different tracks. I do think a hp decrease should happen. do it with gear or tapered spacer, cut say 75 hp off. ECU changes aren't wise your limited to ignition timing and a couple other things that your not going to want to take from the teams there. I like the idea of the big barn door spoiler on a couple tracks, pocono, indy, and michigan are prime for that. the trucks put on an amazing race at pocono and michigan because you bring the draft into the element. a big spoiler like that helps make the draft more influential. The racing is fine on the tracks as is except for 1.5 mile and bigger tracks. have a base aero platform similar to the car as it is this year with a HP reduction for all tracks less than 1.5 miles. Then implement a second package tailored for big tracks for 1.5 mile and larger tracks with the exception of daytona and talledaga.

@SluggerLabbe

That was cool. Low downforce and softer tires looks promising. High straightaway speed. Slower corner speeds. #223.5 MPH.

Holy ****

LESS DOWNFORCE. PLANET EARTH TO BRIAN FRANCE. COME IN.

Exactly. Take away the splitter and lower the splitter to 2 or 3 inches and the racing and ratings problems is solved.

I'm not sure NASCAR wants cars driving at 225 MPH on average even if it leads to better racing.

I really hope Nascar goes with this low downforce program. The high speed will take care of itself.

With the increase of downforce of recent years the cars are approaching Indy Car speeds. The racing is exciting only during the first two laps of a restart. Look at the advantage the leader has after one lap of "clean" air. Some of the best racing was years ago when the Fords, Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac and Oldsmobile each were complaining the others had an advantage. Now it's as though we are continuing to watch IROC cars. Brian France needs to look at attendance at the tracks, listen to the owners and take advice from the drivers putting the show out there. Looking back when Bill Elliott had a pole speed of 209 or something, holy hell we can't have them driving 3200 pound stock cars at those speeds!!!

I guess the 'dives planes' are for real... How many cut tires will they cause? How will a car handle after a 'bump' knocks one loose and flapping in the wind or off completely?

Back
Top Bottom