Michigan Aero Testing

It would be 10x better if the downforce was reduced by lifting the car up off the track & the shovel splitter was removed.

It would be 20x better if they took the rear window out. :D

Note : Some of the members on here are too young to have heard the 'rear window ' argument . Others , like me , keep forgetting it.

Somehow, I've forgotten the 'rear window' argument also.

Does it have anything to do with Jimmy Stewart & Grace Kelly ?

Rear_Window_film_poster.jpg

I think we can all agree to go back to the 1.5 and 2 miles package of 2006, that has nothing at all to do with my driver winning 6 times that year nothing at all...

Goodyear would be jumping up and down if they went with the low downforce package. They would be pitting for tires every time somebody sneezed. I sure would like to see that test.

Denny Hamiln said with the low downforce package, it was forty MPH difference from straights to corners. That it was so much fun.

Awesome.
Marty Smith ‏@MartySmithESPN 4h
DHamlin: NASCAR took downforce out of cars for 20 mins at Michigan test. 40mph diff b/t straightwy & corner. Said drivers agreed was awesome

Marty Smith ‏@MartySmithESPN 4h
Yes. Hamlin said he watched one 9-car race with that low-downforce pkg. Said it was best race he can remember watching.

IndyCar has proved this on ovals. Less downforce, more horsepower means better races.

They went high downforce, low horsepower in the IRL and were sending cars into the fence and employing Milka Duno. Oh... wait...

espn shoulda filmed that one ...as redo for fans who had ta watch last sunday race . :D
Not a damn thing wrong with last Sunday's race. Good racing all day, kybu crashed and was pissed as usual but OK, JJ had problems all day, Newman wanted to use him for a bowling ball, JG taught that logano kid how to do a great restart and then he won the race. All in all a pretty good day.

Not a damn thing wrong with last Sunday's race. Good racing all day, kybu crashed and was pissed as usual but OK, JJ had problems all day, Newman wanted to use him for a bowling ball, JG taught that logano kid how to do a great restart and then he won the race. All in all a pretty good day.

#24 fans have dvr's of lil jeffie pottie trainin kids .....that they watch over.....and over ....and over too . :D

Really good article breaking down what happened during yesterday's test: http://beyondtheflag.com/2014/08/19/nascar-low-downforce-big-hit-2015-package-test/#!bGnmX6
too bad the low downforce wasn't their idea. I will be surprised if Nascar moves in that direction. Never know, one can hope. Less techno means better racing in my book. Love to see some wide sticky Goodyears, make the ovals and road races so much better and get rid of that stupid grass plow on the front.

if they're gonna use open wheel tech....how bout "push to pass" on 1.5 or larger tracks ?? :D

if they're gonna use open wheel tech....how bout "push to pass" on 1.5 or larger tracks ?? :D
Good idea, how about that techno spoiler thingy that F1 has while they are at it. and bring back that rope a dope camera on a string. Sure miss that thing.:blush:

too bad the low downforce wasn't their idea. I will be surprised if Nascar moves in that direction. Never know, one can hope. Less techno means better racing in my book. Love to see some wide sticky Goodyears, make the ovals and road races so much better and get rid of that stupid grass plow on the front.
Learn the art of inception; convince them it was their own idea.

Learn the art of inception; convince them it was their own idea.
Yeah the owner's alliance thing has been such a hit, I'm sure they are jumping up and down over the drivers opinions.:biggrin: The Empire is under attack, circle the wagons. Ah, all in good fun. The drivers choice setup, sounds like it would be the cheapest to do. Those techno eye lash looking tire cutters made out of carbon fiber, I can see nothing but trouble out of those things. They will have to have a new machine to make sure they are the right size, the right angle. Teams will spend millions figuring out how to cheat, and the drivers will have their hands full trying not to get their tires cut in traffic. Nobody is paying attention up in the ivory tower, a monkey could see the problems those things will cause.

Yeah the owner's alliance thing has been such a hit, I'm sure they are jumping up and down over the drivers opinions.:biggrin: The Empire is under attack, circle the wagons. Ah, all in good fun. The drivers choice setup, sounds like it would be the cheapest to do. Those techno eye lash looking tire cutters made out of carbon fiber, I can see nothing but trouble out of those things. They will have to have a new machine to make sure they are the right size, the right angle. Teams will spend millions figuring out how to cheat, and the drivers will have their hands full trying not to get their tires cut in traffic. Nobody is paying attention up in the ivory tower, a monkey could see the problems those things will cause.

Agreed. Low downforce option!

Let the drivers wheel it!

Looks like that last session may be the direction the sport heads. Thank god. Great article.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...up-cars?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They went through all the high-downforce stuff and less power and kind of the direction they went this year but even greater, and it was honestly really bad,” said Joe Gibbs Racing’s Matt Kenseth. “It was really singled out, you couldn’t pass, you could draft a little more on the straightaway but you’re almost wide open in the corners.

“At the very end, they took all the downforce off and gave us all our power back and did all that and it was pretty much unanimous from the drivers, … it was awesome.”

No one is sure what NASCAR will do, as it will take the data from the test and evaluate it to make the 2015 rules.

“It was like going back 15 years in time or something like that,” Kenseth said. “You could pass actually in the corners. … You could get one guy on the bottom, one guy on the top. The air wasn’t so turbulent that you couldn’t get outside of people.

“So the track got really wide. It was like the track aged 10 years. It was awesome. Everybody got out with a smile on their face. You actually wouldn’t feel as guilty cashing your paycheck on Friday anymore because you actually had to drive the cars like you used to.”

Back
Top Bottom