NASCAR announces limit on Cup Series regulars in the Xfinity/Truck Series

NASCAR will limit experienced Cup drivers to 10 NXS races and 7 Truck Series race starting next season.

How many races in the Xfinity series?
Brad 10, Joey 10, Ryan 10, ........ Looks like Team Penske is OK

I think Kyle is the only Cup driver in trucks regularly, maybe Dillon will have to cut back some.
I doubt this will hurt JGR as they can still run 40 races + 20 more with Jones and Truex.

Next step, lowering ticket & lodging costs to accommodate fans.

Have to give NASCAR some applause for making another move in the right direction.

Next step, lowering ticket & lodging costs to accommodate fans.

Have to give NASCAR some applause for making another move in the right direction.
I don't think NASCAR can do anything about hotel prices.

Ticket prices don't seem out of line to me when compared to other professional sports. Obviously, if you are talking about the best seating location, you'll pay top $. I think I'm paying about $120-$140 for my pair of seats this weekend @ Martinsville. They are about the best you can get and they're worth every penny IMO. Multiply that by 2 for my old Bristol seats. They were great seats there too but I could have paid less had I wanted to move lower. I guess it's all what you're willing to pay. Most venues have great package deals. The biggest part of my NASCAR race weekend's budget has always been fuel for traveling to/from a race.

Some numbers on starts this year.....

@bobpockrass
11m
KyBusch/ADillon 16 apiece so far, Larson 14, Logano/Kes 13 apiece. Dillon-Larson still not more than 5yrs Cup

Having Cup regulars competing in Xfinity and trucks when their Chase races were taking place was a bad move. Those drivers fighting for the championship should battle it out among themselves, especially when wins automatically get a driver into the next round. Can't have that if Cup drivers are winning all those races.

How many races in the Xfinity series?
Brad 10, Joey 10, Ryan 10, ........ Looks like Team Penske is OK

I think Kyle is the only Cup driver in trucks regularly, maybe Dillon will have to cut back some.
I doubt this will hurt JGR as they can still run 40 races + 20 more with Jones and Truex.

Blaney, Dillon, and Jones would all fall under the 5 years of experience banner. So they can run as many non Chase/Dash 4 cash races they want.

I am confused on the Chase/Dash races. Is it that no Cup drivers at all, or are the less than 5 year experience drivers still eligible?

My guess is that the 18 next year will be a Busch/Jones split.

I'm guessing that we'll really see no difference in the number of Cup regulars winning races in those lower series. At least during the pre-Chase season in those two divisions.

I am confused on the Chase/Dash races. Is it that no Cup drivers at all, or are the less than 5 year experience drivers still eligible?

Dillon, Elliott, Larson could run all the races they want next year,

Me too. When they first mentioned this this morning it was none of them in the Chase races. When I read what was said it looks like they will be able to. No doubt there will be more announced on this and then it will be clear as mud.

Dillon, Elliott, Larson could run all the races they want next year,
That's sure the way it reads that it will include them being able to run the Chase races.

IMO, they need to add to their changes that if you've declared that you are running Cup, you are ineligible to run any of those post season races, PERIOD.

It's a start. I know I'll at least be watching Xfinity beyond the road courses a little bit now.

Getting them out of the entirety of the Chase was a necessity.

A look at some recent numbers of Cup participation in the Xfinity season.....

2016 XFINITY SERIES

Joe Gibbs Racing
Kyle Busch – 16 starts
Denny Hamlin — 2

Richard Childress Racing
Austin Dillon – 16
Michael McDowell – 1
Paul Menard — 8

Team Penske
Brad Keselowski – 13
Joey Logano — 13

JR Motorsports
Clint Bowyer – 1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. – 2
Chase Elliott — 6
Kevin Harvick – 6
Kasey Kahne – 1

Chip Ganassi Racing
Kyle Larson — 14

Roush Fenway Racing
Trevor Bayne — 1

Stats from http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/10...-rules-have-affected-teams-in-recent-seasons/

2015 XFINITY SERIES

Joe Gibbs Racing
Kyle Busch – 15 starts
Denny Hamlin — 11
Matt Kenseth – 5
David Ragan — 1

Richard Childress Racing
Austin Dillon – 20
Paul Menard — 8

Team Penske
Brad Keselowski – 9
Joey Logano — 11

JR Motorsports
Dale Earnhardt Jr. – 4
Kevin Harvick – 12
Kasey Kahne — 7

2014 XFINITY SERIES

Joe Gibbs Racing
Kyle Busch – 26 starts
Denny Hamlin — 1
Matt Kenseth – 19

Richard Childress Racing
Austin Dillon – 1
Paul Menard – 8

Team Penske
Brad Keselowski – 11
Joey Logano — 10

JR Motorsports
Dale Earnhardt Jr. – 4
Kevin Harvick – 15
Kasey Kahne — 3

2013 XFINITY SERIES

Joe Gibbs Racing
Kyle Busch – 26 starts
Brian Vickers — 30
Denny Hamlin — 1
Matt Kenseth – 16
Michael McDowell – 2

Richard Childress Racing
Kevin Harvick – 11
Paul Menard – 4
Tony Stewart — 1

Team Penske
Brad Keselowski – 16
Joey Logano – 15
AJ Allmendinger — 2

JR Motorsports
Dale Earnhardt Jr. – 4
Jimmie Johnson – 1
Kasey Kahne – 11
Jamie McMurray — 1

Roush Fenway Racing
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. — 1

Should be interesting to watch the impact on live attendance and TV numbers.

Something to look forward to for next season.

I'm going to guess the numbers will continue their downward trend. I see it not making much of a difference at all. I think the total elimination of drivers running for Cup points is going to be the only thing that will give this series its own identity and increase interest. It would take a while to regrow the Xfinity/Truck Series, but I think it would happen.

I don't think there will be much of a change. With 120 different drivers this season in Xfinity this series needs some additional help

Yeah.

No tellin' where it would be had NASCAR not banned the cup guys from winning the junior sedan championship. Prolly folded it by now.

Back
Top Bottom