NASCAR announces limit on Cup Series regulars in the Xfinity/Truck Series

I miss the Bill France Jr. Rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If only he had added some short tracks and road courses instead of Vegas, Kansas, Chicagoland, Homestead, Texas, and Fontana. That is the one black mark on his legacy, imo.

Looking forward to full stands and soaring TV ratings....oh, and great rrrracin'. Be very careful what you ask for because NASCAR just might give it to you. Can't wait for young guns like Elliot Sadler to finally get his chance.

Looking forward to full stands and soaring TV ratings....oh, and great rrrracin'. Be very careful what you ask for because NASCAR just might give it to you. Can't wait for young guns like Elliot Sadler to finally get his chance.

Or a future Jimmie Johnson getting a chance because a greedy slob like Kyle Busch couldn't race.

A slight improvement at the most.
IMO it misses the biggest flaw. More short tracks are needed at places like IRP, Hickory, Nashville fairgrounds etc. At least a half dozen of them, they would naturally weed out some cup participants.
Even if those events were a financial loss when considered separately, it would still be a worthwhile investment imo. It would restore a lot of lost passion, and show case the abilities of the xfinity regulars.

The combined cup weekends for Cup/Xfinty/trucks sometimes all three on a weekend guarantee pooled resources. Not only cup drivers, but cup pit crews, essentially a cup lite series. Big box store cost savings etc.
But bad as a farm system to develop and bring in new blood. Hence the circle gets smaller, and the limited farm system contracts and reduces fan interest too.

Todays nascar farm system is an inbred send in the clones system. Preferred for insiders but a bigger more impossible wall to all others. One that runs much deeper than just shutting out a few drivers. Those empty seats scream. Papa's little prince's or princess just doesn't sell like a young Dale Earnhardt, Darral Waltrip, or Bill Elliot would and did.

Summarized to few words : Kyle Busch isn't Xfinity's biggest problem. The real problem is exemplified by running an Xfinity race at Indianapolis the brickyard, in Brian France deal with it style . All while the real answer becomes vacant, just a few miles away at IRP

Brian is just another idiotic CEO snatching up todays biggest instant profit. But one that has no long term vision. Impossible to touch, personally insulated by his system while he whistles by the graveyard, but history has away of exposing fools like him.

Last edited:
I wouldnt care with the limit so much as long as cup drivers would not be able to compete in the chase races.
but if they were not going to do that I would rather seen 5 and 5
But its a start

Or a future Jimmie Johnson getting a chance because a greedy slob like Kyle Busch couldn't race.

Future JJ's don't need things made easier for them because they are good. See Erik Jones.

The feeder series need to run at the same tracks as the cup cars, the drivers need experience at the tracks. I believe the xfinity drivers should run with some cup drivers to see how high the bar is. I wonder how many cup fans want to see another race during their weekend at the track.

Maybe NASCAR could limit the number of cup drivers that can participate in any given xfinity race. But it is also a matter of teams hiring a driver and I don't know how much NASCAR should be involved with the way a team picks a driver. Drivers are independent contractors and they can sign a deal with anyone they want (their primary team might have something to say about it).

Of course they are. Without the minor leagues Kyle wouldn't have 85% of his NASCAR wins.

Yeah, right, he sucks. SMDH.

The feeder series

NASCAR needs to consider it as such, and run it as such. Instead, they run it with unrealistic expectations. You ever seen 60K at a AAA baseball game?

Yeah, we like watching our guy drive. Go figure. My best to those who gaze at the empty seats, obsess over TV ratings, and crave great rrrracin'.

If you think XFINITY is great racing now, it's because you're a Kyle Busch fan. I've watched a couple races this year and decided not to watch a race again until NASCAR does something -- and they still haven't done enough. The Xfinity Series is, hands down, the worst touring series in all of racing. And the most pointless.

But, hey, you like it because your boy wins every week.

And, see, unlike most of y'all, I actually quit watching something when I'm bored with it.

Yeah, we like watching our guy drive. Go figure. My best to those who gaze at the empty seats, obsess over TV ratings, and crave great rrrracin'.

I dont give a crap over ratings or empty seats. I was there in the 70s and the smaller crowds were much more convenient to navigate.

But the reduced crowds etc do indeed reflect the current realties. Ones like the BS xfinity race at Indianapolis. And none of the verbal Diarrhea that Nascars PR machine utilizes will wipe out that stink.

Triming down Buschs dominance is a cheap band aid, just barely better than a placebo. It doesn't deal with the root cause. I would rather see Nascar do nothing rather than getting the benifits of this facade.

I think the truck series has to be confined to 1.25 mile tracks or shorter. (prefer 1 mile).
A driver who excels can then move to Xfinity and learn the bigger tracks, getting his experience from seasoned drivers and ex-Cup drivers ( Elliot/Ragan etc). From there the better drivers move to cup full time but as we know from the past, even those drivers fail.

I'd say my "gynecologist in Charlotte" has been batting damn near .1000 lately between this and me being the first on this forum to break the composite Xfinity body news as well.
We just thought he was trying to stirrup something, but he had a couple of legs up on the rest of us when it came to this story. Despite the smears from some of the members on this forum, he's done quite a cervix to us all.

So when you say "gynecologist in Charlotte", does that mean the city? :p

If you think XFINITY is great racing now, it's because you're a Kyle Busch fan. I've watched a couple races this year and decided not to watch a race again until NASCAR does something -- and they still haven't done enough. The Xfinity Series is, hands down, the worst touring series in all of racing. And the most pointless.

And, see, unlike most of y'all, I actually quit watching something when I'm bored with it.

Who's butthurt?

I think some Shrub fans will have their nose out of joint because of this but I don't see much of a change in the sparse attendance and viewership of the lesser series races. Some Shrub, Yap Yap and Dork fans will get their knickers in a twist and go and pout and others that didn't watch because of them will start watching again.

I don't understand your concern with empty seats and the few viewers from home for the lesser series as not having Shrub participating may actually boost interest and attendance for both series. Either way it won't make much of a difference and if you'd like to be concerned about TV ratings focus on why 400 to 600 thousand fans have tuned out each of the chase races so far this year. Where did they go?

This is a good start. Would be better with 3 years, 5 in xfinity and 3 in trucks, then reduce it some more in 2018..

I would look in on the X Series if it was truly a feeder series but Shrub and his ilk have whored things up to the point there is no point in watching. The whole charade is like watching Pete Rose in his prime being the designated hitter for Toledo Mud Hens games.

This is where you don't get it. I like it because it's another opportunity to watch him race. Big damn difference.

I would like it if the Swedish Bikini Team parachuted into my backyard but just because I like something doesn't mean that it is the best thing to have happen and in this case the best thing for my health. I get that you like to see Shrub race early and often but there are many people that don't watch or don't like him making a mockery of the lesser series and those people get a vote too. Nascar only listened with one ear but it is a start.

We just thought he was trying to stirrup something, but he had a couple of legs up on the rest of us when it came to this story. Despite the smears from some of the members on this forum, he's done quite a cervix to us all.

So when you say "gynecologist in Charlotte", does that mean the city? :p

I am speculumating that forthcoming news regarding Team D&C's entry into cup is at hand. In the mean time true or false.....a Vulva is a Swedish automobile?

If I want to watch my favorite driver, I'll watch him in Cup where he belongs. If I want to watch any non-Cup racing, I couldn't care less who the drivers are. I just want to watch a competitive race.

Me too as I consider very successful cup regulars going to the minors and whoring things up to be an unequivocal embarrassment all round. IDK how a person could look in the mirror knowing they had beaten a field of lesser lights in lesser series and feel good about themselves.

What are they learning in XFINITY though? I mean, aren't these teams saying Cup drivers shouldn't be limited in XFINITY because the XFINITY regulars learn from them?
Some of them could use more time in the X. May have been pushed up too soon.

Agree Andy, They should be in X until they are ready for cup..not pushed into cup like most kids are

But in reality they are in Cup so the seat time in X might do them good.

Well said. I would like a total ban, but baby steps.

Id like to see them limit it to 3 per race. fastest three makes it. it would make qualifying fun.

Me too as I consider very successful cup regulars going to the minors and whoring things up to be an unequivocal embarrassment all round. IDK how a person could look in the mirror knowing they had beaten a field of lesser lights in lesser series and feel good about themselves.
Are you referring to such mental midgets as Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt, and Harry Gant along with those modern embarrassments such as Kyle Busch? Or are they OK because, well, you know, back in the day?

Are you referring to such mental midgets as Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt, and Harry Gant along with those modern embarrassments such as Kyle Busch? Or are they OK because, well, you know, back in the day?
To be honest, I wasn't crazy about it back then either. I knew if I saw that #60 Winn-Dixie Ford in the field that Mark was probably gonna stink up the show. And there wasn't much suspense in watching the Daytona BGN race, as you knew Earnhardt was going to win it.

I think the truck series has to be confined to 1.25 mile tracks or shorter. (prefer 1 mile).
A driver who excels can then move to Xfinity and learn the bigger tracks, getting his experience from seasoned drivers and ex-Cup drivers ( Elliot/Ragan etc). From there the better drivers move to cup full time but as we know from the past, even those drivers fail.
I disagree, but only slightly. They should be limited to tracks under 1.366 miles. They used to be the best race of the weekend when they ran at Darlington.

04g5tr9.png

The boys haven't aged well.

I don't see this change making much difference in the track attendance or the TV ratings. I suspect the TV ratings for both X and Truck include mostly hardcore racing fans. I suspect those are the same people who show up for those races at the track, bolstered by a number of people wanting to see a race cheap (parents with small kids, first-timers, youth groups, etc.)

I don't think there are that many people that watch or attend based on which Cup drivers are entered. Certainly not for the Truck races; Cup participation there is negligile. But I could be wrong (again).

What kinds of crowds show up for K&N shows at the little tracks?

What kinds of crowds show up for K&N shows at the little tracks?
You asking me? Beats me; none of their events are within a radius of me that meets my cost-to-benefit ratio.

If I had to guess, I'd say mostly the same people who show up at those local tracks every Saturday night anyway, plus anyone who regularly attends any other local track within 90 minutes drive time. That's a complete and total guess.

Andy and Allen know the assorted regional circuits better than I. Hopefully they'll chime in.

I'd be more likely to go to a race if I knew that Cuppers wouldn't be in it(unless you know it was a Cup Race). That's just me

Back
Top Bottom