NASCAR announces limit on Cup Series regulars in the Xfinity/Truck Series

I'd be more likely to go to a race if I knew that Cuppers wouldn't be in it(unless you know it was a Cup Race). That's just me

I was disappointed to find out Busch is in the 18 at Phoenix, that's for sure.

The car/aero package they have with the tapered spacer is a joke. NASCAR really needs to fix it.

The schedule needs some races ripped away. Pocono, Kentucky I, IMS could be off the schedule in favor of actual Xfinity Series tracks: Martinsville Night, Gateway, IRP. 3 more standalones would help the series identity.

Dash4Cash can stay at Bristol I, Richmond I, Dover I, move the IMS Dash4Cash race to Loudon.

One of those guys was in both of those Iowa races this year.

Iowa's attendance has dropped off even in IndyCar. It could stand to lose one of their two races to Nashville Fairgrounds or another road course (who wouldn't love seeing Xfinity at Lime Rock?)

Iowa's attendance has dropped off even in IndyCar. It could stand to lose one of their two races to Nashville Fairgrounds or another road course

Sounds like the standard answer to Cup race attendance issues.

I don't understand your concern with empty seats and the few viewers from home for the lesser series as not having Shrub participating may actually boost interest and attendance for both series. Either way it won't make much of a difference and if you'd like to be concerned about TV ratings focus on why 400 to 600 thousand fans have tuned out each of the chase races so far this year. Where did they go?

I couldn't give crap about TV and attendance....but many around here do. Everybody has heard that NFL ratings are down, right? Sign of the times, and not an indictment of the sport. Sometimes this board reminds me of wine drinkers....They sip, and then bull**** about how good or bad it is. Maybe just shut the hell up, and drink.

Sounds like the standard answer to Cup race attendance issues.

Many tracks in Cup do not deserve two races.

NASCARs ratings and attendance should be a lot more alarming than the NFL. Viewership is at its lowest in the 2000s that has been a steady decline, while the others ratings is mostly due to a protest.

We've recently had Trucks get cut down to 32, and Xfinity and Cup get cut to 40. The charter system may or may not work, that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
And in most cases: 3) Either Bruton or the France family owns the track.
Yeah, I'd have opened with that if we were talking about the Cup level. AuzGrams was talking about X races, and other track owners stand a better chance of scoring a race in that series.

I understand the business of it all for the tracks (SMI and ISC). But from a fans point of view some of these tracks are not very good.

The ISC and SMI monopoly on the schedule hinders any new track wanting a Cup date.

NASCAR is concerned about streamlining travel in Xfinity by making it a Cup lite schedule. But if NASCAR considered having a few more standalones: Gateway, Martinsville, IRP would make the most sense business & racing wise.

And by deserving a race: general fan reaction & attendance. IMS has no place on the Cup or Xfinity schedule. The place was empty this year. I think New Hampshire was empty in July and who knows, Bruton Smith seems to like Las Vegas. Though attendance is only part of it, it sucks to see many of these races as empty as they are.

Last edited:
Are you referring to such mental midgets as Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt, and Harry Gant along with those modern embarrassments such as Kyle Busch? Or are they OK because, well, you know, back in the day?

I have never liked any cup regulars in BGN and all its other names. The minor leagues should be for minor leaguers on their way up or down.

I don't see this change making much difference in the track attendance or the TV ratings. I suspect the TV ratings for both X and Truck include mostly hardcore racing fans. I suspect those are the same people who show up for those races at the track, bolstered by a number of people wanting to see a race cheap (parents with small kids, first-timers, youth groups, etc.)

I don't think there are that many people that watch or attend based on which Cup drivers are entered. Certainly not for the Truck races; Cup participation there is negligile. But I could be wrong (again).

I agree as I see the adherents to the lesser series like heroin addicts just looking for a fix as opposed to being discriminating. Before anyone has a cow this is just my opinion and perhaps adherents love the lesser series in order to see young X and truck regulars competing with cup regulars.

You asking me? Beats me; none of their events are within a radius of me that meets my cost-to-benefit ratio.

If I had to guess, I'd say mostly the same people who show up at those local tracks every Saturday night anyway, plus anyone who regularly attends any other local track within 90 minutes drive time. That's a complete and total guess.

Andy and Allen know the assorted regional circuits better than I. Hopefully they'll chime in.

My local short track gets around 12-1500 in the warm weather and less in April and October for normal events. If there is something big or a promotion going on you better arrive early as it is a really good crowd. There are several short tracks in close proximity to me so if a few of them closed attendance at others would likely swell.

Those seats are empty because of Kyle, Brad, Joey and Harvick.

I agree as who wants to watch experienced cup regulars in good equipment whip the field?

I couldn't give crap about TV and attendance....but many around here do. Everybody has heard that NFL ratings are down, right? Sign of the times, and not an indictment of the sport. Sometimes this board reminds me of wine drinkers....They sip, and then bull**** about how good or bad it is. Maybe just shut the hell up, and drink.

As I have said before it is my opinion that you would be better served participating on a JGR/TRD/Shrub fan site instead of a Nascar board but once again that is just one man's opinion. You have said before that Shrub brings joy to your entire household but most people view Nascar with a jaundiced eye so it is easy to see how you would feel out of step. If all the people with sharp disagreements with the way Nascar is governed and its current state were eliminated you would have a couple of people in this forum to chat with and races would be televised on the Bo Diddly Network. Be thankful for what you have!

Many tracks in Cup do not deserve two races.

NASCARs ratings and attendance should be a lot more alarming than the NFL. Viewership is at its lowest in the 2000s that has been a steady decline, while the others ratings is mostly due to a protest.

We've recently had Trucks get cut down to 32, and Xfinity and Cup get cut to 40. The charter system may or may not work, that remains to be seen.

In 2007 the chase races averaged over 6 million viewers per race and through 6 races this year an average of 3 million people have tuned in for each event. Apparently a lot of people have either died off or found other things to do.

On the topic of the Truck Series, the series has been pretty healthy this year, racing has overall been good. Maybe one of these years they'll fix the schedule a bit more, cut costs, get rid of the caution clock.

Ditching a couple of 1.5 milers off (Charlotte, Texas, Las Vegas, Chicago) in favor of a couple more dirt tracks, another road course, and Darlington would help things.

3 sets of tires at dirt tracks, 4 sets of tires at short tracks, 5 sets of tires at the rest. Heat race, LCQ, 150 lap main format used at dirt tracks.

24 Races at 23 Tracks
2 Plate Races
7 Intermediate / Superspeedway Races (1.5-2.5 mile)
5 Speedway Races (1.0-1.5 mile)
5 Short Track Races (.99 mile or less, asphalt)
2 Dirt Track Races
2 Road Course Races

1 - Daytona
2 - Atlanta
3 - Martinsville
4 - Darlington (Easter Weekend - move Chicago off the schedule in favor of a unique track that is still owned by ISC)
5 - Kansas
6 - Dirt Track @ Charlotte (move it from the big track to the dirt track to cut costs, raise interest)
7 - Dover
8 - Bullring @ Las Vegas (move it from the big track to the short track to cut costs, pair it with the K&N Pro Series)
9 - Iowa
10 - Gateway
11 - Kentucky
12 - Eldora
13 - IRP (IRP was always well received, well attended, put on great racing)
14 - Pocono
15 - Bristol
16 - Michigan
17 - Mosport
--- Round of 8 ---
18 - Sonoma (move the Texas spring race to this track, would be a companion event to IndyCar at Sonoma, and a much needed Chase road course race)
19 - New Hampshire
20 - Talladega
--- Round of 6 ---
21 - Martinsville
22 - Texas
23 - Phoenix
--- Championship 4 ---
24 - Homestead

Back
Top Bottom