NASCAR considering using 2016 rules package at Sprint All-Star Race

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
I like the idea. This race has needed something to make it more interesting for a while now.

CHARLOTTE – The Sprint All-Star Race often is described as a glorified test session for the Coca-Cola 600.

This year’s event at Charlotte Motor Speedway might be a test session for an entire season.

NASCAR heavily is considering using the May 16 showcase as a trial run of the rules package for the 2016 season and has begun informing Sprint Cup teams of the possibility, multiple sources have told MotorSportsTalk.

During a state of the sport address to open Monday’s Media Tour, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer Steve O’Donnell noted the All-Star Race was the goal for unveiling the rules for next season. The 2015 rules were delivered in September, which O’Donnell said was the earliest release yet.

“We anticipate beating that marker in 2016, and we’ll look to bring the rules package to the teams as early as we can with a target date of around the All-Star Race for this year,” O’Donnell said.

An official with direct knowledge of the All-Star Race proposal said Charlotte Motor Speedway and Sprint were supportive of using the 2016 rules because it also would prevent teams from getting a jump on preparing for the Coca-Cola 600 and increasing the likelihood of a lackluster race. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plan wasn’t finalized.

The Sprint All-Star Race could use a jolt of relevance. In nine editions since the repaving of Charlotte in 2006, there has been one lead during the final five laps of an event billed as promoting a no-holds-barred style. In the past three Sprint All-Star Races, the winner has led the final 10 laps.

But a potential drawback for NASCAR could be whether the sneak preview of the 2016 rules delivers a better version of the racing than with the current rules that will be featured over four hours the following week at Charlotte in the season’s longest race.

There’s no timetable for the decision on using next year’s rules in the All-Star Race, but NASCAR tested some ideas for next year during a session last month at Charlotte. More testing is expected to occur at Atlanta Motor Speedway next month and at Charlotte in March.

This year’s rules will feature a significant decline in downforce and about a reduction of about 125 horsepower. Another cut in downforce is expected in 2016, which will make cars’ handling more difficult.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...ng-2016-rules-at-sprint-all-star-race-in-may/

Reactions: Pat
I love rules changes for some reason. I love seeing what differences on the track we might see. I think this is a great idea. for some reason we see quite a bit of difference in the race between the allstar and the 600, often times the allstar winner has a bad 600, which is always kinda surprising to me. I think it would be a cool idea to see the difference in a real race.

Another rules, change, my gosh, whats Frances' deal, hes acting like a teenage girl. Well either that or an obsessive maniac who thinks he knows a lot more than he does.

Another rules, change, my gosh, whats Frances' deal, hes acting like a teenage girl. Well either that or an obsessive maniac who thinks he knows a lot more than he does.
Darian Grubb, Edwards, and Jr. said there isn't much difference between the 2014 and 2015 rules packages although the first two said the 2016 changes they tested were significantly better.

While this is probably a good thing for the teams to get a jump on whatever changes are in store, I don't think that it'll make much of a difference to the fans. Two races at any given track during the same season under the exact same rules package can produce two totally different races. I don't think that us, as fans, are going to be able to tell the difference in what the new rules package would mean to a single All-Star event.

If NASCAR doesn't want the All-Star race to be a test session for the Coca-Cola 600 they should run the All-Star race at a different track. How about rotating between 3-5 different tracks (Charlotte, Darlington, Homestead, Vegas, Daytona road course) or even running at a track that is not on the Sprint Cup schedule? I'd love to see this race run at Rockingham, Eldora, or Bowman-Gray.

While this is probably a good thing for the teams to get a jump on whatever changes are in store, I don't think that it'll make much of a difference to the fans. Two races at any given track during the same season under the exact same rules package can produce two totally different races. I don't think that us, as fans, are going to be able to tell the difference in what the new rules package would mean to a single All-Star event.

I don't think it makes any difference either. Heck they can test on Thursday and come Sat. night or Sunday the same car is junk.
A change in temperature, sunlight vs cloudy etc is all it takes.

Reactions: Pat
Had they not told us that they were doing this then we wouldn't have ever been able to tell the difference. I think it's pretty much a non story.

Had they not told us that they were doing this then we wouldn't have ever been able to tell the difference. I think it's pretty much a non story.
You may be right, you may be wrong. Impossible to prove until we see the results.

So wait... Let me get this straight... They're making plans to test a new rules package before they've even tested the new rules package?!

I'm usually an advocate of Mr France... But even I think this is pushing it... Setting new rules before knowing if the new rules are successful?!

"Okay, so this package should make the racing better... But what could make the racing BETTER?"

:rolleyes:

So wait... Let me get this straight... They're making plans to test a new rules package before they've even tested the new rules package?!

I'm usually an advocate of Mr France... But even I think this is pushing it... Setting new rules before knowing if the new rules are successful?!

"Okay, so this package should make the racing better... But what could make the racing BETTER?"

Id rather them test it in an exhibition race rather than use the entire season as a test session, like they did with the Gen6 car.

Id rather them test it in an exhibition race rather than use the entire season as a test session, like they did with the Gen6 car.

Okay.. But they at least tested it... And a whole new car is different than a new rules package for one.

You may be right, you may be wrong. Impossible to prove until we see the results.
What will we take from this race then..... If the race is not as good as we like, do we blame it on the new package or is it just a bad race?

All I was getting at is that we have good races there and we have bad races there using the same package race to race. I think it will be hard for us to tell, as fans, if the results of the race are due to the changes that are made to the new rules package.

Okay.. But they at least tested it... And a whole new car is different than a new rules package for one.
They tested it under testing conditions. Racing conditions is a whole nother animal. The COT had a better breakout season, racing-wise, than the Gen6 did imo.

A rules package is different than a new car, but it might as well be a new car. Drives totally different, just with the same body shape. You can put lipstick on a pig :p

Why is it so important to make the handling more difficult? Color me stupid but I've never understood that.

I may have missed it.. We are going to reduced power this year right? What is going to be the difference in 2016? Just chassis stuff or what?

I think a trial run is to see how a full field does under actual racing conditions. A good way to check to see if their calculations/predictions are going the right way. Doing it on a high speed 1.5 makes sense.

The all star race has been used to try things out for a long time; fan voting and double file restarts are a couple of examples. I say continue using the race to fool around with things - something unexpected might work out.

Why is it so important to make the handling more difficult? Color me stupid but I've never understood that.

For many old timers, ( myself ) the ability of the driver to get more from his car because of his skill level makes it more interesting and the racing is better.

If any driver can put the pedal to the metal, barely lift in the corner, then the race is won in the pits or CC strategy, NOT because you have a fantastic driver. That is my opinion.

For many old timers, ( myself ) the ability of the driver to get more from his car because of his skill level makes it more interesting and the racing is better.

If any driver can put the pedal to the metal, barely lift in the corner, then the race is won in the pits or CC strategy, NOT because you have a fantastic driver. That is my opinion.
But, to go fast, you have to be on the ragged edge, so it does take a little talent behind the wheel.

This year's rules package was tested at Michigan back in August.

But, to go fast, you have to be on the ragged edge, so it does take a little talent behind the wheel.

I agree with that, everyone who makes it this far is either a great driver or a good snake oil salesman. Remember early 90's and half the field was within 1 second of each other in qualifying. Now the whole field is within 1 second.

Well, I would like to think there is more to racing than getting beat up by your car. I prefer finesse to muscle and a frustrated screaming driver. :eek:

Less downforce and new tires.
The small test they had last year I think the drivers liked a test they suggested for NASCAR to try that had the least down force, but NASCAR decided to go for a more conservative package which they are using this year. Maybe the 2016 package is something closer to the drivers choice. One can hope.

Back
Top Bottom