NASCAR Gridiron Challenge

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Worth watching? Maybe.

NBC Sports' NASCAR Gridiron Challenge presented by Toyota, a one-hour special pairing NASCAR drivers with former NFL greats in a series of stock car races and a football challenge, debuts Friday, January 30, at 10 p.m. ET on NBCSN, immediately following the NASCAR America Hall of Fame Special. A capsule from the Gridiron Challenge will air as part of NBC's Super Bowl XLIX pre-game show on Sunday, Feb. 1, beginning at noon ET.

The Gridiron Challenge features six retired NFL greats, including NBC Super Bowl XLIX pre-game analyst Hines Ward, suiting up to compete in races alongside current NASCAR stars at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Viewers will watch as NFL legends experience the thrill of a lifetime learning how to drive official Toyota racecars at the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

In addition, six NASCAR stars, representing Joe Gibbs' and Michael Waltrip's racing teams, will participate in a challenge throwing passes through a Toyota target. The series culminates with a 20-lap competition, where the former NFL players will sit in the passenger seat alongside NASCAR drivers, and race around the track at speeds up to 180 mph.

"The NASCAR Gridiron Challenge is a fun way to promote NASCAR and our upcoming coverage," said Sam Flood, Executive Producer NBC Sports and NBCSN. "This event serves as an example of how numerous NBCUniversal platforms are using Super Bowl XLIX weekend to promote new programming."

"Toyota has had a long-standing relationship with NASCAR as well as a presence in the Super Bowl with TV commercials and our sponsorship of the Toyota Halftime Report," said Ed Laukes, Vice President of Marketing, Performance and Guest Experience for Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. "The NASCAR Gridiron Challenge was a natural partnership for us and we think everyone will enjoy seeing these two very different groups of athletes compete in an entirely new, and fun, way on the track and on the field."

NASCAR on NBC lead announcer Rick Allen will call the action from Charlotte Motor Speedway, alongside NBC Sports Group's motorsports team of NASCAR Hall of Fame drivers Jeff Burton and Kyle Petty, Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s former crew chief Steve Letarte, and NASCAR America reporter Kelli Stavast. In addition, Coach J.D. Gibbs will be present to give tutelage, and award the winners with their trophies.

Retired NFL stars and NASCAR drivers teaming up in the challenge include former Denver Bronco Rod Smith and life-long Broncos fan Kyle Busch, and Ward with NASCAR's Carl Edwards. Below is a full list of drivers and former players participating in the Gridiron Challenge:

NASCAR Driver Former NFL Player
Matt Kenseth Doug Flutie
Carl Edwards Hines Ward
Denny Hamlin Brian Mitchell
Clint Bowyer Christian Okoye
Daniel Suarez Willie Gault
Kyle Busch Rod Smith

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/112929-nascar-gridiron-challenge-to-pair-nfl-race-aces

Thanks but I don't watch Toyota commercials.

Don't really think much about the format and since you can bet that Mikey will be doing his best to get in the camera it is no deal from the get go.

i'll watch.......just ta see ky busch throw a football !! :D:D

Maybe Brian will implement a football game for the two top teams into the 2016 stick n ball NASCAR playoff format...:D

I'm barely watching the races as it is. lol

I will be up for it if they has cheerleaders. But if they ain't, we'll then it ain't football.

Bump for this program as well. On NBC Sports channel after the HoF Induction Ceremonies.

Was watching some videos of this. It looked entertaining to me.

after listening ta steve letarte on this show.....wonder if he shoulda kept his old job ??

jon gruden type delivery.

I watched it and it was an entertaining program, I liked it for what it was. Denny Hamlin misjudged the extra 250 pounds of human being in the passenger seat and smacked the wall off 4, DUH.

Saw Steve Latarte for the very first time as an announcer, (very briefly I might add), I think he will do just fine.

I thought the race was fun 4 wide at the finish and the rookie puta move on them and won!!! Just nice to see Nascars on a track again racen:punkrocke:pbjtime:

All the cuppers knew there was about to be a wreck and backed off. Bowyer even said: you can't go 4 wide here (there).

Yeah they were only 4 wide down the back straight but looked good any how.....Looked like Boyer was the only one to back off Kyle went up the track Matt had to back off or hit him and the kid went on to the
checkers smikley.jpg
atleast on that clip looks that way but theres a gap missing and I don't remember what happened tween turn 4 and the finish line. It was a fun little race to watch....IMO.....

Yeah they were only 4 wide down the back straight but looked good any how.....Looked like Boyer was the only one to back off Kyle went up the track Matt had to back off or hit him and the kid went on to the View attachment 17495 atleast on that clip looks that way but theres a gap missing and I don't remember what happened tween turn 4 and the finish line. It was a fun little race to watch....IMO.....
He went for it and I don't blame him. Regardless of why he beat em, he beat em.

Back
Top Bottom