NASCAR newbies - advice please

J

Jane Bown

hi

We are coming over from the UK to see the Daytona 500. I wondered if anyone could give us any advice as this will be our first NASCAR race. We are staying in daytona for a couple of nights in case the race finishes late. What time should we get to the track as we intend to take a cab from our hotel? We have booked the fanzone. Any information that you could give us to make our visit more enjoyable would be great and I hope you don't mind us coming from "over the pond" to see your Motorsport!

Many thanks
Jane

Glad to hear you're coming to experience NASCAR. I have never been to Daytona but plenty of these guys and gals have. One of them should chime in soon. Hope you enjoy your visit!

I have been to Daytona Speedway many many times.

Make sure to give yourself time to just relax at the track and take in the whole event. You will be amazed by all the people and activities going on, on Race Day.

Make sure you get you and your group or significant other a radio head set to wear during the race so you can keep up with what is going on. There are several vendors that rent these at the track, I prefer Racing Radio's, just look around you will find them scattered around. Once the race starts it is almost impossible to keep up with what is going on in the race and on the track without them, IE: After pit stops, after yellow flags etc.

http://www.racingradios.com/

I bought a set for my Wife and I and we use them all the time, but, you can rent them for the event, you do not have to buy them.

You may want to look into a shuttle bus from your hotel instead of a taxi.. I would check with your concierge

hi

We are coming over from the UK to see the Daytona 500. I wondered if anyone could give us any advice as this will be our first NASCAR race. We are staying in daytona for a couple of nights in case the race finishes late. What time should we get to the track as we intend to take a cab from our hotel? We have booked the fanzone. Any information that you could give us to make our visit more enjoyable would be great and I hope you don't mind us coming from "over the pond" to see your Motorsport!

Many thanks
Jane

The FanZone will take up a lot of you time and in a good way. I would suggest you wear comfortable shoes. There's more walking than you can imagine. Also, dress for hot weather but carry a light weight jacket or warm hoodie. A rain poncho is a good idea also.

It won't matter how early you get there on race day, everything will be packed around the track. There's an IHOP right across the road (if you fancy that kind of breakfast) that gets long lines in and out quick. The tables will be taken(probably) but you can stand outside and eat.
There will be booths set up in most of the store's parking lots from other tracks, giving out information. You might be able to pick up a free koozie or two.

After you eat or fiddle around outside, go get your ticket scanned and go inside.

You'll have to wait in a (quick moving) line for a shuttle to take you to the fanzone.

The fanzone is big with lots to see and do - including 8 dollar hotdogs as long as your arm!
There will be lots of interviews with past and present stars and probably the grand marshal. From there you can walk through a gate to see the cars go through inspection and possibly drivers walking around.

Then you can walk into the pit boxes and out onto the track. Of course there lots of things happening out there on the grass too.

It's a cool experience and I hope you love it and will report back to us!

It's a steep hill to climb, but you should consider walking up the track and signing the start/finish line. :)
SFLine159.jpg

Thank you everyone for your advice, this will make our experience a lot more enjoyable! I just can't imagine what it's going to be like. Many thanks once again.

Back
Top Bottom