Kentucky Speedway reconfiguration & repave

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Rebooting this thread...

Through a variety of treatments and by dragging the new asphalt with blasting mats, Kentucky Speedway officials will try to accelerate the seasoning of their racing surface so it will never drive like a “new track.”

“You know how an Interstate highway looks right after it’s been repaved?” Simendinger asked. “That’s exactly what we don’t want. We want our track to look scuffed up, like it has some wear on it.”

While giving up the bumps, Kentucky Speedway officials hope they have found another way to create a unique track that will yield good racing.

In Turns 1 and 2, the banking is being enhanced from 14 degrees to 17 and the track narrowed by some 20 feet. Meanwhile, Turns 3 and 4 will retain the current 14-degree banking. That will create two distinct sets of turns.

Drivers have long found the entry to Turn 3 at Kentucky to be tricky. Now, the idea is that coming off Turn 2 at greater speed (because of the increased banking) will force drivers to have to make testing decisions on what line to run into Turn 3 and whether and when to brake.

“Will they have to get on the brakes?” Simendinger said. “That, actually, is what we want. Because that’s what could set up passing and some great racing.”

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/kentucky-speedway/article74548137.html

"In Turns 1 and 2, the banking is being enhanced from 14 degrees to 17 and the track narrowed by some 20 feet. Meanwhile, Turns 3 and 4 will retain the current 14-degree banking. That will create two distinct sets of turns."

Interesting.

kentuckyrepave-e1465820292184.jpg

Ck1OMzpVEAAGCTH.jpg

I ordered my ticket for the race last Friday! I'm stoked! I've been to close to 100 Cup races but never to one at a 1.5 mile track. Hopefully the "new" personality of Kentucky Speedway is conducive to quality racing....

I've heard that they've been putting lye all over the track to soak up the new asphalt oils and that's why it looks dusty white. Supposedly it will make it wear more.

So the race faces a rainout every 5 years. I say deal with the weepers
That could end up costing millions of dollars. Did you see what happened with the IndyCar race this weekend at Texas? The amount of money they had to spend and the amount of sponsor revenue they lost from that is likely in the millions of $ range. Not to mention the amount of fan support that was lost, which could cost millions in the long run.

yeah but when the racing sucks for 6 or 7 years before the track finally ages what is the cost in lost attendance? The came up with this super dooper package for michigan. They would not have done that if they just left the old pavement and fixed it where it was needed. I never thought michigan was bad at all before the last repave. I also feel they should just patch the tracks rather than a total repave. I think having some bumps and character help things.

I honestly would have liked to see them hold off one more year on the repave. The 2015 race with the 2016 package was a good one so we were gonna be in for a treat again. Then they announced the re-pave which in all likelihood will dull the action and I think that was one of the reasons NASCAR decided to run even less downforce as a test here instead of somewhere else. Gotta keep the fans interested in was set to become a must see race. I'm hopeful the reconfigure and new treatment will keep it interesting though but so far night races have been crap.

“Turns 1 and 2, being more banked, we are definitely carrying a lot more speed through there,’’ Blaney said. “It does make your entrance into Turn 3 a lot more difficult. It was already difficult the way it was. It’s so flat getting into Turn 3 and then that transition is tough. Now … it seems you’re going to be a bit more faster.

“You can definitely feel the speed difference. We always worked on the entrance to (Turn) 3 here. That’s always the biggest problem in the race, trying to make sure your car is tight enough into (Turn) 3. Now it seems to be more of a factor.’’
http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/06...-change-even-with-repave-and-reconfiguration/

Back
Top Bottom