Mid-Ohio Madness

sky

Zombie Zoom LLC
Wow NASCAR in the rain is quite the spectacle. Incredible! it was engaging from start to finish no full time cuppers if the xfinity series could be like this more often id watch every week!

Thoughts on today's boat race?

Loved it, so many small teams and drivers getting talked about. Lots of action, and nearly all the green flag raving was shown commercial free

Yep, contrary to many opinions stated in a thread last week, NASCAR in the rain can work (at least on road courses). It was ugly. It was slow. But so is football in the rain. And I bet the fans were a lot happier than with a rain delay until tomorrow.

It demonstrated stock cars can run road courses in the rain in an entertaining fashion. I expect doing so at Indy and Pocono would also be possible.

I think it also demonstrated that it would be foolish to attempt it on a banked oval.

The race showed the lack of experience in the rain. I haven't seen so many cautions since the old Bristol configuration. But I'm glad they try it.

Yep, contrary to many opinions stated in a thread last week, NASCAR in the rain can work (at least on road courses). It was ugly. It was slow. But so is football in the rain. And I bet the fans were a lot happier than with a rain delay until tomorrow.
Not contrary to anybody's opinion ... they've attempted this before. The debate was about the tracks with the WALLS around them.

I was off the grid all weekend and just finished watching this event. I thought it was terrible.

I'm in a different opinion as most of you then because I thought it was a terrible race. No speed at all, combined with constant spinouts

You got to see who the talented drivers are. Sam Jr. got shown for the hack he is. I expected much more from him, as he has raced road courses in the rain before. The rain took away his equipment advantage, so he was left with only his skill as a driver.

I'm like Aunty, just viewed the race on my DVR last night, and was not impressed. Too much spinning and crashing and yellow flag circulating to be a good race, IMO. The 42 was the only car to keep in on the road, so congrats to Justin Marks.

I'm in favor of racing in the rain on road courses, but this road course at the Xfinity talent level was problematic. There is asphalt that has reasonable grip in the rain, and there is asphalt that doesn't. In Europe, all of the major racing venues have the grippy stuff. In the US, some do and some don't. Mid Ohio's grip looked marginal at best, but hard to say for sure. The heavy weight and small tires used in Nascar tend to overwhelm the characteristics of the surface in the best of cases.

If Mid Ohio had been a Cup race, that might have worked better due to the higher standard of driving at the Cup level, despite the greater horsepower and even less downforce.

You got to see who the talented drivers are. Sam Jr. got shown for the hack he is. I expected much more from him, as he has raced road courses in the rain before. The rain took away his equipment advantage, so he was left with only his skill as a driver.
All year long we've been told the Gibbs/TRD Toyotas have the equipment advantage. But the truth now comes out and it is Childress that is so much better? Who knew? :idunno:

Really? Most every xfinity driver was off track at least once .Some of the top xfinity drivers were off many times. I guess that's why the cup drivers do so well against them .

Really? Most every xfinity driver was off track at least once .Some of the top xfinity drivers were off many times. I guess that's why the cup drivers do so well against them .
I don't think Cup drivers would have done much better under those conditions. It's not like they have much rain experience either. Hornish and Sadler have been Cup drivers; that didn't keep them on the pavement.

I think a lot of the problem has to do with the tires they're using. Not soft enough? Tread not deep enough to channel sufficient water?

The driver ought to be able to eggshell the throttle to the full on position on the longest straight on the course. It didn't appear that they could do that.

Back
Top Bottom