NASCAR says its into safety....then they promote dega with....

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
dega2.PNG
dega.PNG

Seems.....odd to me

Great post!

It seems hypocritical to me because in the name of safety Nascar will throw a caution over a water bottle that is harmlessly sitting way out of the groove yet races at plate tracks where mayhem will likely ensue putting drivers, spectators and crews in unnecessary danger. That on its own is bad enough but when Nascar and its partners advertise the unsafe aspects of the race to entice viewership it is really wrong.

How can an organization claim safety is paramount 32 weeks of the year but look the other way 4 other weeks? A spring rubber on track will bring out a caution due to safety concerns but cars catching flight, barrel rolling down the front stretch, riding the catch fence, getting T-Boned at high speed, getting hooked into the wall, actually landing on each other plus a myriad of other nasty things doesn't raise a blip.

I think a lot of us would rather not see the sport marketed that way . Have to admit though , all of the younger fans that I have met absolutely love it . I don't like it but everyone whines about wanting to see closer races , more passes for the lead ,and photo finishes . You don't get that at Pocono or Michigan. Old school plate races were pretty bad . My guy Bill Elliott came from laps down to win at Daytona . Don't think we will see that at Talladega tomorrow.

I think a lot of us would rather not see the sport marketed that way . Have to admit though , all of the younger fans that I have met absolutely love it . I don't like it but everyone whines about wanting to see closer races , more passes for the lead ,and photo finishes . You don't get that at Pocono or Michigan. Old school plate races were pretty bad . My guy Bill Elliott came from laps down to win at Daytona . Don't think we will see that at Talladega tomorrow.

With free passes and wave arounds anything is possible. That is a huge problem.

texas used the McDowell wreck for promotion. Its sick, sick ,sick sick sick

The large meatball thing hawked by the concessions isn’t called the “chess match” or “four wide”, it’s called “The Big One.”

As with everything, from who the networks put in the booth to who sponsors want to market their goods, what they think’ll sell the most goes. The racing’s secondary.

Whatever it takes to get people to watch. If the wreck is what grabs their attention and showing it sells tickets or gets people to watch, sobeit. I don't see the problem.

If Nascar was all about safety they wouldn't host a race to begin with. There's no such thing as safe racing.

Whatever it takes to get people to watch. If the wreck is what grabs their attention and showing it sells tickets or gets people to watch, sobeit. I don't see the problem.

If Nascar was all about safety they wouldn't host a race to begin with. There's no such thing as safe racing.

Racing is dangerous just by its nature this is true, and it is one of the attractions to tona and Dega. I mean when Patrick got hit last dega I was so concerned she was hurt.....I just think how NASCAR talks out of both sides of its mouth is hypocritical.

But I mean, if your driver gets taken out at a short track, you dont often wonder if they will walk away. The danger element of speedways adds to the drama. I for one like it--racing is about heroes who go fast and take risks. NASCAR should say we are "making it as safe as can be" but racing will always be dangerous. I get the impression that most weeks, NASCAR wants the drivers in bubble wrap cocoons, but then in super speedway weeks....make up your mind.

With free passes and wave arounds anything is possible. That is a huge problem.
Short memory . The free pass (singular ) was a necessity when racing back to the caution was sacrificed for safety. The wave around was put in place for stupid fans who couldn't figure out who the leader was on restarts. Just a fact of life with the current crop of fans . In any case , as had been said before , neither normally impact the outcome of the race .

It was Talladega in 85

The Michigan Truck Race earlier this year is what I wish (I realize times and things have changed) the plate races were.

Short memory . The free pass (singular ) was a necessity when racing back to the caution was sacrificed for safety. The wave around was put in place for stupid fans who couldn't figure out who the leader was on restarts. Just a fact of life with the current crop of fans . In any case , as had been said before , neither normally impact the outcome of the race .

Eight races have been won by free pass recipients so don't tell me it doesn't often change the course of a race. When you can go from a 38th place finish to a 25th place finish due to the free pass it does alter the natural course of a race.

Kelly was doin’ great with the team from eastern Pennsylvania. Shame to see ‘im go.

Eight races have been won by free pass recipients so don't tell me it doesn't often change the course of a race. When you can go from a 38th place finish to a 25th place finish due to the free pass it does alter the natural course of a race.
Harvick , Jeff Gordon ,Kyle Busch , etc , some guys who got a lap down due to a tire issue and would would have won anyway.

Eliminating racing back to the line makes sense for safety reasons.

Adding the free pass was a knee-jerk move imo as there's always a pretty good reason for why a car is lap down.

I've never heard a good reason for automatically letting a car gain a lap under caution.

I think it was only fair to the drivers . Pit road incidents , flat tires , cautions coming out at bad times trap potential winning cars a lap down through no fault of their own . It is a slim chance for them to get back on the lead lap because they are the fastest car one lap down . The list of the 8 drivers who won after receiving it , is a who's who of top drivers , not bottom feeders.

If the actual racing in NASCAR wasnt so anticlimactic over the past 5 or so years, they wouldnt have to promote the bad to try to get the good.

Coming from a Dale Sr fan, this is surprising.

"So what if driver safety is 2x+ more at risk at these plate tracks, if we build it they will come!". Except 'they' arent coming.

Since when has wrecking not been a part of racing? Ffs
I think everybody accepts that it is, but it seems like NASCAR, the networks, and the tracks are using the wrecks and feuds more than the actual racing to promote their product. And sadly, it's probably a good strategy as that's still the main draw for a lot of people. Whenever one of our local TV stations report on what happened in a NASCAR race during the sports segment, it's usually just a montage of the wrecks that happened that day and a brief clip of the winner crossing the finish line.

I think it was only fair to the drivers . Pit road incidents , flat tires , cautions coming out at bad times trap potential winning cars a lap down through no fault of their own . It is a slim chance for them to get back on the lead lap because they are the fastest car one lap down . The list of the 8 drivers who won after receiving it , is a who's who of top drivers , not bottom feeders.

You are still missing the point as the things you mentioned are all part of a race. No mulligans!!!

I think everybody accepts that it is, but it seems like NASCAR, the networks, and the tracks are using the wrecks and feuds more than the actual racing to promote their product. And sadly, it's probably a good strategy as that's still the main draw for a lot of people. Whenever one of our local TV stations report on what happened in a NASCAR race during the sports segment, it's usually just a montage of the wrecks that happened that day and a brief clip of the winner crossing the finish line.

I agree as showing the winning car crossing the stripe 5 seconds ahead of the second place car is not something that will draw the average Joe's attention. Show some wreckin' and fuedin' and it will at least get Joe to take a peep.

If the actual racing in NASCAR wasnt so anticlimactic over the past 5 or so years, they wouldnt have to promote the bad to try to get the good.

"So what if driver safety is 2x+ more at risk at these plate tracks, if we build it they will come!". Except 'they' arent coming.

Daytona and Talladega were built quite a while ago . In fact , it could be argued they were a reason for it's success.

What, that I don't have a problem with networks showing wrecks in their advertising? So, you're saying that because my favorite driver died in a crash on a restrictor plate track, I should be against that type of advertising or just restrictor plate racing in general?

My comments were simply about the advertising. Wrecks have always been shown as part of the promo by the networks. I don't see why that's a big deal to some as they tend to grab the attention of the viewer. Maybe some of those viewers tune in as a result of that. Who knows? I sure don't but I do know that people tune into these restrictor plate races over most other venues.

Back
Top Bottom