NASCAR says its into safety....then they promote dega with....

There is another way of looking at safety vs. the big one, it shows how safe the cars are, drivers are rarely hurt.

And another way . Sports is all about expect the unexpected . Interceptions , fumbles , errors , slices that go into the water and , yes , accidents . If it weren't for the miscues , sports would be pretty bland.

Who cares? If your eyes are not glued to the set when a big wreck happens or coming running into the room when those you are watching it with yell due to a massive impact, you are lying.

And they are trying to bring in new viewers. New people to racing don't tune in to watch cars go in circles, which is exactly what 90% of them think until they actively watch and listen to what is going on. The danger is what brings them, eventually the actual excitement of the sport will keep a lot of them.

I think everybody accepts that it is, but it seems like NASCAR, the networks, and the tracks are using the wrecks and feuds more than the actual racing to promote their product. And sadly, it's probably a good strategy as that's still the main draw for a lot of people. Whenever one of our local TV stations report on what happened in a NASCAR race during the sports segment, it's usually just a montage of the wrecks that happened that day and a brief clip of the winner crossing the finish line.
It's not just nascar... you can't watch an nhra advertisement without seeing engines exploding or funny car bodies blown 30 feet in to the air But, as long as the drivers walked away then they would be stupid not to use the footage because that is what sells a major amount of tickets. Fans complain about empty seats, and if they didn't show these wrecks and blowups then there would be even more empty seats..

As mentioned in another post, when the narrator of a video on the NASCAR site calls Biffle’s lap #114 incident the “first action of the day,” one knows what the mindset is.

see i warned you all about the wreck cautions at Dover in June but no one listened to me.

I agree as showing the winning car crossing the stripe 5 seconds ahead of the second place car is not something that will draw the average Joe's attention. Show some wreckin' and fuedin' and it will at least get Joe to take a peep.

Check the stands and tv ratings in 2016, and that's where the Brian France gimmick tactics have taken the sport. Make every race a highlight reel crash fest with a late debris caution, mangle the championship format until it literally comes down to one race every single year... Manufactured drama is only interesting for so long.

J.D. was the first for me. Most of those killed were long before Nascar's modern era, and Daytona was a 125 mile race at the time. A few were killed in practice with hung throttles.
No one was killed at Dega.

CvsiuWxUEAAmWp7.jpg:large

J.D. was the first for me. Most of those killed were long before Nascar's modern era, and Daytona was a 125 mile race at the time. A few were killed in practice with hung throttles.
No one was killed at Dega.
According to the link that was posted....... 9 were killed at Daytona...... and 2 at 'Dega..... Tiny Lund and Larry Smith....... 3 at Charlotte......... 2 at Atlanta.......

I never realized so many drivers had died during the 125 mile qualifying race at Daytona.

Back
Top Bottom