NASCAR to make only minor changes to 2015 Cup schedule

Rockingham is 70.9 miles from Charlotte and Loudon is 75.9 miles from Boston.

My point more or less is that Rockingham is just as middle of nowhere as Loudon is.

Fair point, but the Boston metro area is also a hell of lot bigger than the Charlotte metro area. Also, I'm guessing it's more built up around Louden than Rockingham, particularly hotels - is that the case?

Fair point, but the Boston metro area is also a hell of lot bigger than the Charlotte metro area. Also, I'm guessing it's more built up around Louden than Rockingham, particularly hotels - is that the case?
But I bet the Charlotte area has a larger NASCAR fan base than Boston.

Except Rockingham had to compete with Charlotte Motor Speedway, while NHMS doesn't have to compete with any tracks in the Boston area.

NHMS is competing with the NBA, NFL, MLB and a lot of other Boston area attractions for sporting dollars.

The area immediately surrounding the track in both areas is similarly built up. Neither is an urban area by any stretch. I love the Loudon area (moreso than Rockingham) but it's just not an urban area and seems to only have two races because Brian wants to say that he has a track in the Boston area.

The point about Charlotte having more NASCAR fans than Boston is valid. Boston metro is bigger but your pool of fans is much larger in Charlotte. Don't forget that Rockingham could also have drawn in fans from Wilmington and Fayetteville who may not have wanted to go all the way to Charlotte for a race. The track sold out when they had just one race. The trick with a track like Rockingham (and maybe even Loudon) is that they need one race. Don't wipe them off the schedule when they have two races and fail to sell out.

Back
Top Bottom