NASCAR TWEAKS RULES FOR KENTUCKY, MICHIGAN RACES

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
I love that they are playing with the set ups throughout the year as opposed to just locking stuff in. I wish they would have done this last year..

I LOVE they are playing with the splitter height..wiwsh that dang thing would get gone :D

playing with the splitter on the fast track MIS...awesome

Both Michigan races were dogs last year, hopefully these changes will help.
One rain-shortened and then the experiment with the parachutes on the back of the cars. Oof.

This should be pretty cool. Kentucky is shaping up to be very interesting with the debut of the new configuration plus these aero adjustments.

One rain-shortened and then the experiment with the parachutes on the back of the cars. Oof.

This should be pretty cool. Kentucky is shaping up to be very interesting with the debut of the new configuration plus these aero adjustments.
Kentucky was good last year when they tested the package they started the year with. Add the new surface and banking configuration and they might have something.

Splitter height isn't changing. The splitter is the forward facing element at the bottom of the front facia, not the full structure itself.

For Kentucky and Michigan, it's forward facing length will be reduced from 2.00" to 0.25". The splitter extension panel, often referred to as the radiator pan, will be reduced from its current 38" width to 25".

Click on the diagrams to enlarge them:

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-releases-kentucky-splitter-dimensions/

As an aside, I am amazed at how sloppy some of our "journalists" can be. The MRN site is reporting "Splitter extended from .25 inches to 2 inches." No editor working today?

Splitter height isn't changing. The splitter is the forward facing element at the bottom of the front facia, not the full structure itself.

For Kentucky and Michigan, it's forward facing length will be reduced from 2.00" to 0.25". The splitter extension panel, often referred to as the radiator pan, will be reduced from its current 38" width to 25".

Click on the diagrams to enlarge them:

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-releases-kentucky-splitter-dimensions/

As an aside, I am amazed at how sloppy some of our "journalists" can be. The MRN site is reporting "Splitter extended from .25 inches to 2 inches." No editor working today?
That article with the diagrams is dated July 2015, and is announcing what would go down at Kentucky last year. The radiator pan was 38" in 2015 for all tracks, then reduced to 25" for the 2015 Kentucky and Darlington "test" races. For 2016, the base setup had the pan at 33", a compromise between the test and the 2015 base case. So this year for the Ky and MIS tests, I guess it will be 31".

My bottom line observation: I am very pleased that Nascar continues to push this lower downforce/sideforce concept. I've often said that Nascar might try to back track (for the sake of "parity") once they see the effect of putting the race in the drivers' hands. Glad that is not happening yet. Now I just have to keep the faith that the current phase of Toyota/Gibbs domination will pass and the best teams/drivers from Chevy and Ford will catch up.

The leading edge is already 0.25 inches, so they'll be shortening the extension panel that isn't visible, correct?

CjY44VIWgAEIHyQ.jpg:large

Jeff Gluck (USA Today) offers tantalizing numbers on the targeted downforce reduction: 2700 - 900 +100 - 500 = 1400

"And off the track, everyone in NASCAR is suddenly pulling in the same direction when it comes to deciding how to make the racing product better. The single-minded focus on removing downforce and sideforce has seemed to generate a rare consensus within the sport." Link to article.

The MRN site is reporting "Splitter extended from .25 inches to 2 inches." No editor working today?

Yeah, they have their 8th grade talent there. MRN is completely pathetic.

They need to chop three or four inches off the front airdam and throw that splitter in the trash. The racing really changed with the COT and sealing the nose to the track. That's when all that bumpstop garbage came about, the cars barely have a front suspension anymore. Don't see how it's helped the racing at all.

Wasn't the air dam partially for not letting air get under the car and getting it airborne? I'm not sure myself, but if it was I can see tweeking it but we still want to keep the cars grounded. I like the idea of having a car that isn't running on rails and the driver and team having to work with a car that isn't perfect. I like having tires that give up and the drivers that can manage their tires better getting a little edge. It can be a disadvantage to have cars that are bulletproof.

Wasn't the air dam partially for not letting air get under the car and getting it airborne? I'm not sure myself, but if it was I can see tweeking it but we still want to keep the cars grounded. I like the idea of having a car that isn't running on rails and the driver and team having to work with a car that isn't perfect. I like having tires that give up and the drivers that can manage their tires better getting a little edge. It can be a disadvantage to have cars that are bulletproof.

I like the car management! DP is good at car management! :D

This is just another anti 48 rule, like the new chase in 2013. If Jimmie and Chad were the only two able to hit the old car's setup, let them win at Michigan and win 10 straight cups. If the other drivers keep on under and over driving the car, its there fault, not the 48's. This opinion mirrors the new aero package generally and not necessarily the modifications at these two tracks. However, these tracks would not have the modified aero package if the overall aero package was not made. Imagine if Dale Sr. saw this non sense. Remember him after tim after the 2000 Daytona 500 roofbar.! He said France senior would be rolling over in his grave!

Four dog jalapeños stick crave boxes sift hives long thesaurus ankles labonte 48!
Right guys? RIGHT!?
I have really not a clue what it is you said. (translator anyone?) :D

Back
Top Bottom